Sony X950H first thoughts

Finally got this setup last night and all I can say is wow, the picture on this thing is outstanding. Right out of the box colors look natural (skin tones) with deep blacks and good detail in dark scenes. Was watching some boat racing last night and it was smooth as a babies cheeks. My Toshiba had a hard time with some scenes in T2 Judgment Day on Blu-ray but this TV didn't have any, it was almost like watching it for the first time.

Setup was easy, they really put some thought into how you unbox this thing. Once up on my TV stand I noticed how wobbly this thing is, not sure if all big screens are like this but it's kind of scary. It also leans back quite a bit, seems this is in the design but as of right now it's bugging me. I'm looking into a table top stand since I don't want to mount it to the block wall, this should take care of both these issues.

The speakers are not bad for a panel TV, there are four of them, two on the bottom and one on each side, it's also calibrates the sound through the remote mic which I thought was kind of interesting. I never could get audio out of my Toshiba to the AVR for watching terrestrial working right, it just wouldn't sync up but it works great on this TV. I'm looking forward to watching more, the picture is just a little better over the air waves. I am getting a bit of halo or soap opera effect to where I'm not using Directv but it's not bad but I'll work on that.

A lot of reviews are saying the remote is to long with empty space at the bottom but after using it I have to say they nailed it. It's the first remote I've ever used that wasn't awkward using the buttons at the bottom. Too bad I won't use it much since I have a Logitech remote.

The Android interface is pretty slick, it's fast and fairly well laid out for all the junk that's in there. It looks like it's can be customized so have to work on that.

So far I don't have any complaints other than the stand issues but I will say going from a 47" to a 65" is a bit of a shock.

Unless you're a gamer I would suggest taking a look at this one.

We have had a Sony X 900 for two years now. Our experience was similar to yours. It was a great buying decision. I’m sure you have noticed that on good programming material the picture is almost 3-D like.
We did wall mount ours but when it was on the stand we didn’t have any concerns.

Sounds great!

Waiting on my Sony X900H 85" delivery from Costco.
Pairing it with an LG SN9YG 5.1.2 sound bar.
Hoping for a good OOB experience.
How far away are you going to be sitting from an 85" TV? Is this in a home theater or daily TV room or will you use it for both?
We have had a Sony X 900 for two years now. Our experience was similar to yours. It was a great buying decision. I’m sure you have noticed that on good programming material the picture is almost 3-D like.
We did wall mount ours but when it was on the stand we didn’t have any concerns.
When you had yours on the stands did it lean back, this is really bothering me.

When I watched T2 the other night I was just going to skip through some scenes my Toshiba would fall on it's face with just to test the new Sony but I ended up watching the whole movie, it was literally like watching for the first time. I think I'll open my Netflix back up just to get some more Blu-ray's to try out.

How far away are you going to be sitting from an 85" TV? Is this in a home theater or daily TV room or will you use it for both?

When I watched T2 the other night I was just going to skip through some scenes my Toshiba would fall on it's face with just to test the new Sony but I ended up watching the whole movie, it was literally like watching for the first time. I think I'll open my Netflix back up just to get some more Blu-ray's to try out.
Viewing distance is 12' - we have a 75" now, the 85" will be fine.
General use main floor room with kitchen, dining, and family room, 45' long by 14' wide.

Well my wife just corrected me, we mounted the TV right on the wall. She said I’m confused lol
I’ll check it out again in Best Buy but I know we didn’t notice anything unusual, it’s on display and not wall mounted. Of course now I am questioning everything I posted to you in that regard, sorry.
Are you sure the legs aren’t backwards?

We bought the Sony 4K disk player at the same time, same flawless performance and even if you you don’t have a 4K disc to pop in, the up scaling is excellent.
We have purchased a few, Jumanji in 4K is wild. (Welcome to the Jungle)

We do rent from Redbox blu rays when available but choices very limited since Covid but even the standard discs look very good... also 4K streaming is very good and OTA.

We have Amazon, Netflex, Hulu and Apple streaming.
Apple programming is limited but what the have is high quality programming, series, movies and the 4K excellent. Loved the War movie with Tom Hanks, Defending Jacob, Morning Show..quality video ...
Netflex choices are overwhelming and it’s hit or miss but they have some really good stuff, Queens Gambit series is a blockbuster

We don’t use the built in Android system, we use Roku players exclusively on all our TVs and the Sony has the newest Roku, a Roku 4K premier. All told we have 5 TVs with Roku players and a big fan of them, if anything keeps operation of all the TVs the same. I do agree the Sony Android system looks attractive but the above reason is why we don’t use it.

We also receive 37 over the air TV channels through an attic mounted antenna that distributes through our prewired home to all TVs, all major network stations plus all their digital side channels and other independent channels. The major network signals are better then the picture you get from cable and satellite pay tv.
We cut the cord to pay TV cable company a decade ago, best decision we ever made and super great quality without it.
Our TV cost is $20 a month. We share our Netflex account with our daughter in another state and she shares her Amazon with us. So we pay only for Netflex and Hulu plus a 15 month free Apple TV trail because I bought a Mac desktop a year ago, we will continue it when the time comes for $5 a month.
I think you bought the best TV on the market with the X950 and know you are going to love it

Last edited:
Well my wife just corrected me, we mounted the TV right on the wall. She said I’m confused lol
I’ll check it out again in Best Buy but I know we didn’t notice anything unusual, it’s on display and not wall mounted. Of course now I am questioning everything I posted to you in that regard, sorry.
Are you sure the legs aren’t backwards?
There are two ways to install the legs but it doesn't involve turning them around, you just that the right leg and move it to the left side and the left to the right so they face inwards instead of outwards to accommodate a smaller table.

This is from the Sony website:

The Android TV™ device is designed to lean back slightly on the stand in anticipation of setting it on a low TV rack.

Your line of sight when sitting is 15 degrees lower than when you're in a usual relaxed state. It's considered ergonomical to set your TV at a lower position and tilted back by a couple of degrees. This way, you'll be able to enjoy watching TV programs comfortably.

I'm guessing they think most people will wall mount them.

Thanks for your time.

Back