Something to ponder this evening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd just like to share a story this evening with the hope that it'll encourage critical thinking and compassion when dealing with your fellow man.

Not long ago some local cops came across a few folks that didn't speak much English. When I got there, they were trying to detain an absolutely panicked old man with the intention of bringing him to the hospital for a mental evaluation because he had gone berserk trying to get away from them. I had a look at his ID and realized a few things.

1. He was from Poland.
2. He was born in 1930.
3. It was the sight of police uniforms that panicked him.

The guy was 84 years old and the whole thing was a bit heartbreaking, seeing him in the fetal position on the sidewalk. I can't imagine the horrors he saw as a boy that still haunt him. There is obviously a need here to get him continuing mental health treatment, but dragging him to the hospital isn't the way to go about it. I was able to de-escalate the situation and find the guy's family. I tracked down information on mental health services where the guy is staying and gave it to them.

I hope it turned out well.

The last place where I worked the manager came from Zimbabwe - we often get roadside breath checks, cops flag everyone down and do a quick check as they drive through. First time his wife came across one she said ''Police road block'' - and the kids hit the floor. Sad that they reacted like that in the 21st Century...especially in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back