Some trunk tool sets

First one I saw looks like it can be bought as an option at a GM dealer: SONIC MCS COMBINATION SET 1/4", 1/2", 94-PCS 309402.
Runs $180 on EBay, about double that new.

Next one I found, which has a better selection of screwdriver bits is Vigor by Hazet V2461 Socket Wrench Set, Ratchet Box Tool Case 172 Pieces.
Runs $263.90 on EBay, and comes from Larnaka, Cyprus. The ratchets look like the HF composite ratchets, not a bad thing just an observation.

Both of the above have no open-end wrenches with them. (Sonic makes a larger set that has them, but that's $400.) I'm not sure if that's a must-have in a trunk set.

This is more of a mental exercise. 40 years ago all the tools I owned I put in my trunk, and made use of them. They were SAE. They also rattled around in the two tool boxes. Nowadays I don't carry any in the trunk. Just thinking maybe I should get a trunk kit.

I keep a tool bag in my truck because it's not unusual for me to end up working on something for other folks . Mostly screwdrivers , various types of pliers , adjustable wrench , and a few other things . I'm not going to try to change a water pump or a tie rod on the side of the road .

The #1 problem on the road would be with the battery . So carrying the right size sockets for the battery and some jumper cables and duct tape is about all I would carry . Alot of the sockets etc. in the kit would never get used on the road so why carry them .

I just keep a cheapo set from HF in the trunk. The blow molded case is junky but kinda keeps everything in place, and its been a while since I have tried to fix anything when not home. Its meant to be just enough to fix minor stuff, anything major and I probably didn’t want to fix it on the side of the road anyhow.

I keep a cheap set of tools in each of the fun fleet; start with a 'car tool kit' or similar available from HF, HD or others and augment w/ any key items appropriate to the car. Add in spares and I keep them in old laptop cases that I've collected through the years. The two old Rovers get much more due to 1) where I will occasionally take them, and 2) British...

I've had enough cheap tools over the years and they seem fine for this duty--except for ratchets. If one jumps for a cheap set, there may be value in getting a better HF one, and maybe adding some extensions.

I'm finding I dislike the screwdriver set with bits. Seems like much of the time, I need something with a narrow shank, the hex drive bit is too large to fit into a small area. Might not hurt to have one or two regular "real" screwdrivers.

Don't forget zip ties, bailing wire and duct tape.

I got one of these years ago from Costco.

Before I ever take trunk tools with me, I use them for a while to do auto repairs in the garage. Gives me a better idea of how they'll perform and let's me know if there are any glaring missing tools that need to be added.
That's the same set I leave in my truck. Like others have mentioned I keep them in there not so much for working on the truck itself, but for whatever I may end up needing to work on when I'm not at home.. I also leave a bottle jack, 12v tire pump, jumper cables and a bag with some other random tools in there.. I have a similar tool selection in both trucks. In my Mazda and my wifes car I just keep a Leatherman, jumper cables and a flashlight.

I keep a tool bag in my truck because it's not unusual for me to end up working on something for other folks . Mostly screwdrivers , various types of pliers , adjustable wrench , and a few other things . I'm not going to try to change a water pump or a tie rod on the side of the road .

This is it, my own stuff I hope is in decent repair but I get an opportunity to play hero. And it might not be car stuff, could be house electrical or plumbing. Even breaking something down enough for a diagnosis vice repair will put that person in a much better spot.

The issue with most "kits" is they lack things you really need, like a needle nose vise grip, a really big screwdriver, etc. I made my own using a rolled up tool holder that keeps everything from rattling. I have combo wrenches from 8 to 19mm, socket set the same, couple extensions, different plyers and vice grips. Doesn't take much space, all the best stuff, and doesn't make any noise.

This isn't mine - but similar idea:

1672528114941.jpg

I also prefer to go a-la-carte because "kits" just don't cut it.

First, sockets are the big issue. I try to find a kit or kits of sockets I like, preferably with an effective, efficient hard case. This is because throwing sockets in a bag is a PITA, as are socket rails in a bag.

Second, get some tool bags and import wrench sets. Throw wrenches in bag. Sometimes -- especially during holiday sales -- ratcheting GW (or other brands) is not much more expensive.

Then grab a BFH of your choosing, screwdrivers, extensions, pliers and whatever else you think you might need. This will likely go in a second tool bag.

Don't forget Torx and hex! These are quite common today but often overlooked.

I also throw a 24" ratchet or breaker bar in each vehicle. Tool bags are obviously impractical here so this has to be stashed in a trunk or under a seat, etc. Don't discount this, leverage is amazing and often needed. Carry a cheater pipe instead if you're cheap.

The OEM tool roll from Mercedes or BMW, which have the cheapest crap tools for high end cars. That takes care of pliers, a few metric combo wrenches and screwdrivers.
Add for
a) Mercedes: 30" breaker bar and 17mm wheel stud socket. 5mm Allen wrench for fuel filter bracket, tiny torx driver for the fuel filter water sensor.
b) BMW: 30" breaker bar 17mm wheel stud socket.

Anything beyond those requires real work and will get a tow.

Like others in addition to the Channellock tool kit I keep a tool bag with assorted pliers, zip ties, tape, a pipe for use as a breaker bar, vice grips, etc. I also keep a plug in air pump, tire plug kit, jump box,ratchet straps, bungee cords, and tow strap. And yes, I keep it all in a tool box in the bed of the truck.

I made a lower offer on the first set and it was accepted so I'll put that one in my trunk. I'll look into the roll-up tool holder and probably buy that and put some wrenches I know I'll use (such as those to change the battery) and a 'scope on a rope in there. I think the Sonic set will match the '17 Buick Lacrosse better than a HF set.

Plus, I don't like really cheap tools. There's usually some shortcoming I don't spot until it comes time to use them. Like a socket is a quarter inch too long, or too thick to fit into a hole. Then I'm stuck with something I won't throw out but can't practically use.

Dudes who make it to my (eventual) estate sale are going to make out like bandits.

IMO the Husky sets are pretty hard to beat, especially this time of year when there is still some overstock from Xmas in stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
Don't forget zip ties, bailing wire and duct tape.

In my Mazda and my wifes car I just keep a Leatherman, jumper cables and a flashlight.

If you are ever going to change a flat on the traffic lane side of a vehicle, having true pyrotechnic road flares make a big difference.

Like others in addition to the Channellock tool kit I keep a tool bag with assorted pliers, zip ties, tape, a pipe for use as a breaker bar, vice grips, etc. I also keep a plug in air pump, tire plug kit, jump box,ratchet straps, bungee cords, and tow strap. And yes, I keep it all in a tool box in the bed of the truck.
All good stuff.

I would add:
A safety reflective vest
Metal zip ties (though I guess bailing wire might serve the same purpose)

I have moved to tool bags. Quieter, smaller and more conformable to available space than tool boxes. A little less convenient in use, though.

Back