Some people just can't be helped...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just in Advance doing an oil exchange. So in comes a fellow wanting to do an oil change on his BMW. He looked clueless and I immediately thought "Uh-oh". Sure enough he wants the BOGO Edge on sale (don't blame him). So he and the counter chick immediately start talking about 5w30. Since I was standing there, I went ahead and commented, "This store only has one Edge that meets BMW spec's, here it is right here". I showed him a bottle of the Edge 5w40. All I got was a blank stare. I then flipped over the bottle and held my thumb up to the BMW Long life spec endorsement on the back and showed it to him. No comment.

Seeing clearly that my input was unwanted, I simply shut up and went back to my business. It took quite a while and I cringed inside as I listened to he and the counter chick struggling through 7 quarts of Edge 5w30 and a Fram filter for it.

When was leaving in the parking lot, I looked over at his BMW and said, "Sorry, I tried!"

Some people just can't be helped.
frown.gif

That car deserves a better owner.
sick.gif

At least it did not get bulk 5w30 conventional.

I too, have learned to not care if people choose not to take my advice. After all, you did your due diligence.

Last edited:
Why is it people will by an expensive BMW, Audi, MB and look for the absolutely cheapest oil and filter to put in it? What are they saving? Maybe $30 or $40 for that 7000 mile OCI? And they will spend more than that at Starbucks during the same period of time. I just don't understand it.

What's really bad is when dealers use the wrong oil but because its dealer serviced, the vehicle can be resold at a premium as certified per owned.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette

I only give advice when people ask me.

+1

They probably just thought the OP was a weirdo for butting into their conversation. I would have had the same feelings as the OP, but I wouldn't have tried to intervene.

I've seen macho guys with their Mercedes and BMW buying the $15 bulk dino deal at Auto Zone.

Their car looks immaculate on the outside. Just don't listen to the engine.

It's an accurate description of their lifestyle. On the outside everything looks good and is in place. On the inside... not so much.

Just another reason I am so very cautious about buying a used car. My last used Jeep that I purchased was owned by a guy who knew everything, but in reality, knew nothing.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Why is it people will by an expensive BMW, Audi, MB and look for the absolutely cheapest oil and filter to put in it? What are they saving? Maybe $30 or $40 for that 7000 mile OCI? And they will spend more than that at Starbucks during the same period of time. I just don't understand it.

Because they don't buy them. They lease or finance vehicles they cannot afford, and then this is what happens next.

You tried.
I ran into a friend a couple of years back at an AZ.
He was buying oil for a change on his wife's Mercedes, which gets a lot of miles, since she has a commute of about sixty miles each way.
He had an armload of GTX syn blend 10W-30.
I told him no, buy the Syntec 0W-30 if you like Castrol, or you could use Syntec 5W-40 or M1 0W-40.
I left it at that and don't know what he did.
This is a very savvy guy, incidentally, with a great management position in a very innovative company.
He's also a bit of a car guy, and even owns a gorgeous e30 325.
He just isn't an oil guy.

I never give advice, people expect it to come with a warranty even if they didn't listen to the advice you gave in the first place.

People don't want you to give advice either. It implies that you are smarter than them. They just want you to fix their mistakes and for you to take the blame though.

If you are looking for appreciation, sadly, the only advice I can give you (lol) is to buy a dog.

The best thing to do is to simply take your own advice and the advice of others if they know something that you don't.

I personally really appreciate the advice of others. You can always learn something and it is best to never stop.

Last edited:
They could be like the guy in my neighborhood who has two BMWs....that don't seem to move...ever.

He has an E34 that was brought home, parked in the driveway, and hasn't moved since. I've never seen him under the hood or doing anything to it.

Then he has an E46 that used to be a driver but hasn't moved for a good 6-7 months now. That one is taking up one of the spots on the street.

Why have a BMW (or two) if you can't keep them running?

I, for one, do not ever look at the actual specs on the back of the bottle. I just use the proper grade.
I have no idea if any oils I've ever used to not meet Honda's specs but so far I have not had any problems with my engine so I don't really care.
I am the same way as some others here. I only put in my .02 if I'm asked or if the advice being given is horrible.

As long as KCJeep wasn't pushy and well intentioned, I don't see anything wrong with offering a bit of advice if the guy looked like he was lost. But then again, I still hold the door for women, so what do I know these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back