Some drywall damage that just doesn’t make sense

I may be missing it, but where's the damaged spot on the attic side of the drywall?

From the painted side, I've had nail pops look similar to that.

You'll have to dig/chip away at the trouble spot to repair it anyway. May as well have a look if you can get at it.
2nd picture. It’s right next to the truss and the bullet is laying on the damage spot the way I found it when I pulled insulation back

2nd picture. It’s right next to the truss and the bullet is laying on the damage spot the way I found it when I pulled insulation back
Got it. Was trying to see it on my phone. That is really something. I guess the good thing is no one got hurt and what ever damage it created entering must be very little or you would have spotted it right away.

Maybe put a board on that truss and lay flat on your back, look at all possible angles.
This may seem out there but entry point might not be in an obvious place.
Meaning what if the bullet ricocheted off a solid surface in the attic?
Such as a chimney or other hard surface. It could be almost anything.

So what I’m trying to say while on your back look at hard surfaces up there that you maybe ignoring because at first glance it may seem impossible. Then imagine if the bullet could have come from that surface if entry came at at odd angle and ricocheted off it.
It wouldn’t be impossible to come from a direction that isn’t being considered.
Yeah it would also possibly mean a shot closer to your house that imagined if more from a side angle.
Heck even look at the outside the house side walls or anyplace that wouldn’t create a water leak if a ricochet took place it could maybe have come through a piece of insulation and being hidden looking from the inside.

Anyway just a thought … hope you remember to update us.

Last edited:
Sorry, electrical nerd here. I’m surprised you have metal conduit and metal boxes for your electrical work in your attic. Thought it was only code in Chicago.

Some people will pay extra for conduit (even if not required by code) and in his location (near Chicago) there is probably a ready supply of residential electricians who work with it, making it less expensive than it might be elsewhere in the country.

Also, it's not just Chicago, many counties near Chicago require it.

Do you guys think it’s worth it to get homeowners insurance involved? I’d normally not over something that seems like a small repair but the damage is in the main area of the house. It’s a vaulted ceiling over the kitchen, living, and dining area. I really don’t have the time or energy with a 7 month old to paint such a large area. Plus if the roof or siding needs repair. Then on the other hand the exterior damage is not noticeable at all because I still have not found any and I could just caulk the hole shut and hire a painter for the ceiling.

Do you guys think it’s worth it to get homeowners insurance involved?
me personally?
Keep in mind I have never filed a claim on any property I owned in 4 decades.
No, never ever file a claim for something so small, not only small but don’t forget you have a deductible that will take a bite out of the payment.
You will then also have a mark on your insurance score possibly affecting future premiums once you file that claim.

That’s just me though but …

Twice in my lifetime.

.22LR bullet came right down through our camper vent (plastic) nice hole, bullet laying on mattress.

.30 cal (.308 of some variety) Bullet through the garage door at an angle. Saw and fixed hole. Some time later found bullet in a plastic hamper basket full of folded cleaning rags. Just laying there on a rag. Still have that bullet.

I found the entry hole in my roof! The bullet went thru the roof on the back side of the house, bounced off a rafter and landed near my front door
IMG_1767.jpeg
IMG_1768.jpeg

eeek.. thats no good.
With some of the noises around here sometimes I wouldnt be too surprised if one or more houses around me have similar.. those bullets can go a mile.

This is what happens when folks celebrate New Years and Independence Day with firearms.
Oh, it's not just them. Certainly, people have to take care of discharges in all environments. The weekends in Chicago,NY, Baltimore wreck more havoc than these unfortunate incidents.

Oh, it's not just them. Certainly, people have to take care of discharges in all environments. The weekends in Chicago,NY, Baltimore wreck more havoc than these unfortunate incidents.
I’m very aware of these and other cities have residents who regularly discharge firearms. It’s not just the largest cities that have this problem. I used to live in a city with less than a 100,000 population. The residents ramped up on the celebratory gunfire on New Years and Independence Day. It would sound like a war zone on those two days.
Someone said that I was using a broad brush. I hope that my brush is getting wider..
I don’t live in a bubble and I no longer live in that city anymore. The safety of my family and property come first.

Back