Some drywall damage that just doesn’t make sense

I have some damage on my ceiling in my living room that I thought was from a roof leak. I called my roofer guy and he came out right away and couldn’t find anything on the roof that would appear to be a leak. He also said that water leaks usually stain yellow. True. We just had a storm roll thru and I went into the attic to take a look for water. Everything was dry as a bone but what I did find in the exact location on the drywall damage looks like a bullet. I’m really not sure. I can’t find an entry hole any where yet. I’m so confused
71081468576__2F6EB0CA-7EB6-4F3A-98D8-32B105A115A9.jpeg
IMG_1757.jpeg
IMG_1758.jpeg

Not sure? That is clearly a pistol bullet.

4th of July, I'm guessing someone popped off some rounds into the air and you're the lucky winner of a hole in the roof. It's there, it has to be. You have a new bullet inside the house that damaged the ceiling, that wasn't there before. There's no other explanation.

I had TWO holes that went un-noticed in my roof, until the water damage occurred. They MUST have been from bullets but I could not recover one on my deep blown insulation. But,,,, Get up there, and use lights at night to inspect for a hole. Could be a weird angle or a hole hidden very well but light at night will identify location. Get it patched.

I would ALSO report it to the police, give them the bullet for ballistics match. Might catch a criminal.

I was looking for day light with in a dark attic and nothing. Can’t find any holes in the gable ends of the house either. I’ll keep looking

You would think that from inside the attic the wood sheeting would be blown out. Some splinters around the hole.
Okay, let's roll with that.

HOW ELSE DID A HANDGUN BULLET DAMAGE THE TOP SIDE OF YOUR CEILING? FYI, IF FIRED FROM INSIDE THE CEILING, DRYWALL WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED IT. THE REASON IT STOPPED WAS LOSS OF VELOCITY FROM RANGE AND PENETRATING THE ROOF.

Okay, let's roll with that.

HOW ELSE DID A HANDGUN BULLET DAMAGE THE TOP SIDE OF YOUR CEILING? FYI, IF FIRED FROM INSIDE THE CEILING, DRYWALL WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED IT. THE REASON IT STOPPED WAS LOSS OF VELOCITY FROM RANGE AND PENETRATING THE ROOF.
Obviously. I don’t need to be yelled at. Im sure there is a hole somewhere and I just have not come across it yet.

I had a leak in my fairly new garage roof. Couldn't see anything from inside and went up on the roof and there was a #6 nail like they used putting some new decking on just sticking in the shingle like someone just started hammering it in, but sticking up an inch or two. It wasn't by the overlap but right in the middle of the shingle. I wish I had taken a picture of it, so odd. Sealed it up and no more leak.

I was on my roof a few years ago and found a large bullet stuck in a stucco parapet wall in the middle of the roof. If it was two to three inches in either direction it would have gone through a foam roof and into the house. The bullet`s trajectory was almost straight down.

A 9mm bullet came thru my kitchen window, bent one slat of the blinds and fell to the floor. A fall from high ..not much energy. I think it would have bounced off of my roof.

Sorry, electrical nerd here. I’m surprised you have metal conduit and metal boxes for your electrical work in your attic. Thought it was only code in Chicago.

Sorry about your ceiling. My brothers neighbor found a bullet hole in his kitchen once. Found a hole in his siding facing the neighbors house. Police knocked kn neighbors door. Neighbor goes “yeah it was me…had a negligent discharge last night.”

Get cheap rolls of tissue paper and lay it out evenly in the attic. Next rainstorm go up there and you should hear any water leak tapping on the paper. Flat card board ought to work too. Bullet could have entered at an angle and entered from the side of the house. Check the exterior carefully for holes.

Last edited:
I may be missing it, but where's the damaged spot on the attic side of the drywall?

From the painted side, I've had nail pops look similar to that.

You'll have to dig/chip away at the trouble spot to repair it anyway. May as well have a look if you can get at it.

Sorry, electrical nerd here. I’m surprised you have metal conduit and metal boxes for your electrical work in your attic. Thought it was only code in Chicago.

Sorry about your ceiling. My brothers neighbor found a bullet hole in his kitchen once. Found a hole in his siding facing the neighbors house. Police knocked kn neighbors door. Neighbor goes “yeah it was me…had a negligent discharge last night.”

Get cheap rolls of tissue paper and lay it out evenly in the attic. Next rainstorm go up there and you should hear any water leak tapping on the paper. Flat card board ought to work too. Bullet could have entered at an angle and entered from the side of the house. Check the exterior carefully for holes.
Yes I was shocked when I bought this house that all the electrical is in conduit. I have not seen another house in NWI that has conduit throughout.

Back