Roof's totaled after 20 minutes of 1" hail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: benjamming
just screen the roofing contractors carefully. Anyone can pick up a hammer & be a roofer. Overlap, 6 nails/shingle, etc.

Yup, will do. I've got a roofer friend I've known for 20 years. I got a bid from him to reroof our last house. It had asphalt shingles over cedar shakes (a poor choice, but legal there). He would only do if I paid him to remove everything, deck it, then single it. He told me who would put another layer of shingles on, but said he wouldn't have his name on a job that wasn't done how he thought it ought to be done. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since we would be moving soon, so I did it myself (30 year shingles, the longest nails I could find, in 100 degree weather - they sealed down well)

We got the check this week. $9,200 - $1000 deductible - $1,600 hold back that will be paid after repairs are made.

They're paying for total replacement on the roof, gutters, 1 door, 6 screens, touchup paint ($190 minimum for 1 scuff!), and straightening the AC condenser fins.

The roof is the only thing I'll hire done. So if their estimate on it is close we'll clear extra $ after buying supplies for everything else and paying the deductible.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
just screen the roofing contractors carefully. Anyone can pick up a hammer & be a roofer. Overlap, 6 nails/shingle, etc.

When I built my house in '96, I asked around for recommendations for a roofer.

A couple of people mentioned the same guy. I also heard that he was having a hard time financially, had gotten divorced, and was living out of a trailer at a local campground. I ended up with a cell phone number for him, and called him up.

He looked at the house while I was at work, so I never met the guy. He gave me a price for labor that was right on the money, so I hired him without even meeting him. From what I had heard, I wanted to help the guy out. He needed the work and the money. The recommendations for this guy were that good. He gave me a list of all of the materials that he'd need, and I had the supplier that I was working with deliver it all to the house.

He shows up to start working, and the guy is....completely cross-eyed. I didn't know WHAT to think. It worried me sick for two days.

However, I ended up with a top notch roof. He hand nailed the whole thing, six nails per shingle. Since he had a little issue with vision, he snapped a chalk line for every row of shingles. It is perfectly straight, and is of the best looking roofs in the neighborhood.

He figured the overlap a little tight. It cost me a couple extra bundles, but I've never had a shingle lift in the wind. I've had a few neighbors that had to completely re-roof because of wind damage. I've never lost a single shingle.

Nice story. I'm glad you lucked out.

Usually it's not the best and brightest that take up roofing. That's why I replaced my roof myself. I know it was done right. For many people, roofing is not a career you aspire to, but a job you end up with.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

When I built my house in '96, I asked around for recommendations for a roofer.

I just go to the nearest 7-11 in the morning. Everyone I talk to there will work cheap and is an expert at roofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back