Softroader superiority thread

Well, since wagons started it... Post your softroading crossovers here. Here is mine.
2000 Honda CR-V. 5-speed manual and AWD. Mild leveling kit and 27" All Terrains.

20200708_074949-01.jpeg

P.S. Big boy off-roaders and rock crawlers - go make your own thread.

Man, I was really hoping for more crossovers here... Seems to be at least 1-15 posts about crossovers here daily, but I guess no one likes to take them off the pavement?...

To spice it up a little I'll throw this one in the mix. Not mine, but a cool local fella built this one. HERE IS A LINK IF YOU WANNA READ ABOUT IT. Yes, it will probably get outwheeled by a Crown Vic, but cool build nonetheless.
energy-suspension-presents-jacob-sanders-lifted-1998-honda-cr-v-2020-03-28_00-49-26_226998.jpg
energy-suspension-presents-jacob-sanders-lifted-1998-honda-cr-v-2020-03-28_00-49-59_133604.jpg
energy-suspension-presents-jacob-sanders-lifted-1998-honda-cr-v-2020-03-28_00-50-14_927213.jpg

Last edited:
That actually looks to have quite a bit of ground clearance, and would probably be pretty capable and nimble until things start breaking. The big issue with that one is the tire size pushing the limits of the drivetrain even on the road.

This was a couple days after we got it, stiff front springs and sway bar limit how much articulation its going to get. No oversize AT tires for this one though, I tried that with our CRV and regretted it. It does fine on snowy logging roads anyways which is as challenging as it gets for us.
Outback articulation.JPG

J6QuW7a.jpg

1991 Miata, 1.6 liter, 5-speed manual, Torsen Type II differential.

9FC474E3-288F-43A8-AFF2-73BFDDBBE4EE.jpeg

Adjustable height Bilstein monotube shock based suspension, Swift springs, anti-sway bars removed to improve articulation.

AE12E5EB-90C5-4746-BD3D-97D3C014FEE5.jpeg

Braid rally wheels from Catalonia, Spain. Unseen but not unused are under-chassis slide rails.

Last edited:
J6QuW7a.jpg

1991 Miata, 1.6 liter, 5-speed manual, Torsen Type II differential.

View attachment 27109

Adjustable height Bilstein monotube shock based suspension, Swift springs, anti-sway bars removed to improve articulation.

View attachment 27116

Braid rally wheels from Catalonia, Spain. Unseen but not unused are under-chassis slide rails.
Cool car! If we didn't have kids I kinda thought it would be fun to have a miata for year round commuting, with a summer set of coilovers and tires and a winter set. But a car like yours can do some unassumed roads and nice trails through the woods here.

Cool car! If we didn't have kids I kinda thought it would be fun to have a miata for year round commuting, with a summer set of coilovers and tires and a winter set. But a car like yours can do some unassumed roads and nice trails through the woods here.
You can have kids and a Miata also. No need for summer and winter coilovers if they’re height adjustable, though a set of winter snow tires would be nice up where you are. With a limited slip rear, and increased ground clearance, a Miata with the right tires can be incredibly versatile in any weather and a surprising variety of low traction situations.

Back