Sodas not reducing sugar content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sales for Soft Drinks/Sodas are down as people get more health wise.
Artificial sweeteners are seen as questionable by many.

Why not just reduce the sugar content by say 30% or more? Seems like a no brainer

I cannot stand any sweet soft drinks so reducing sugar won't do much for me.

I drink seltzer which sales are up on. I think they keep the old products in same formula and play around with things like canned or bottled water and seltzer.

The zero calorie flavored seltzer waters are the big hit now. Personally, as a diabetic I appreciate these new seltzers. They taste great and have no sugar nor calories. Just look in the supermarkets and you can see how fast this segment has caught on.

Coca Cola and Pepsi are in this arena as well. They know it's a long term trend and not a fad.

Originally Posted by cjcride
Why not just reduce the sugar content by say 30% or more? Seems like a no brainer
People drink Coke and Pepsi for its trademark flavor. If you cut sugar content, it will have a soury taste, nothing like what people are used to. You might as well just start drinking something else completely.

Coke did introduce a low sugar/low carb version in 2013. It was called Coke Life. I think Pepsi True is a similar offering.

AFAIK, Coke Life was discontinued recently due to poor sales.

Soda is bottled poison. I was looking at some restaurant menus the other day online, its unbelievable they can manage to get 1200 calories huge carbs a sugar in a hamburger. Its no wonder there are so many fat people running around, most don't care anyway, if you say something to them you get accused of fat shaming.

Originally Posted by BigD1
That would be another New Coke blunder.

Completely agree.

I also think that people should keep their noses out of things that aren't their concern. If you don't want to drink sugared soda then don't. But you can stop there.

I love all the new flavored seltzer waters. I also love the non-flavored mineral waters. Takes a little getting used to, but occasionally find myself craving them. Their mineral contents are very beneficial.

A safer soda-pop, with some real juice: http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/Home/product?formula=F0000007173&form=RTD&size=16
It cuts sugar down to less than half in a regular soda pop, the main good news.
Also, sucralose (splenda) is used to boost sweetness, which is safer than aspartame (nutrasweet).
Comes in several flavors, and similar are: the "Game Fuel" kinds they sell too. http://www.pepsicobeveragefacts.com/Home/product?formula=F0000008631&form=RTD&size=16
and that comes in various flavors.

If you want a lemonade (non-carbonated) with some real lemon, that tastes great with very little sugar, I drink http://rockstarenergy.com/products/recovery-lemonade with very low sugar.
Also non-carbonated but with some real peach in it is the awesome: https://www.monsterenergy.com/products/monster-rehab/rehab-peach-tea-energy#

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by BigD1
That would be another New Coke blunder.

Completely agree.

I also think that people should keep their noses out of things that aren't their concern. If you don't want to drink sugared soda then don't. But you can stop there.

Fare enough.

But kids get hooked on this junk via branding and peer pressure. Sad to see so many obese kids around.

The soda-pop companies should pay into the Medicare & Medicaid funds to counter all the long-term health problems this has triggered. Too many 300 lb people getting long term health care in the millions of dollars.

I always thought that coca cola with half the sugar would taste fine and not be so cloying in the mouth.

But it's almost like the corn lobby is working with the soda companies to push HFCS onto the public.

The makers of these products, much like Tribologists, know exactly what is needed to make their product to the taste of their consumers. I bet the tolerance of good/bad is down to a few grains of sugar per can.

I like the taste of Coke but it does have way too much sugar. I add water so I'm drinking 60% Coke and the rest water, still tastes ok to me.

I can't remember the last time I've had a full-sugar soda. I was drinking diet sodas for a while, Coke Zero and Pepsi Max were my favorites but I try to stay clear of those also because of my paranoia about artificial sweeteners and cancer, etc.

Last edited:
I drink that grape flavored Propel water most of the time. It's sweetened with Splenda. I'm a big fan of CocaCola, but I worry about getting diabetes from it. I drink the Coke only on special occasions.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My wife and I are thin and we drink diet sodas. She likes her diet Sunkist and I like Diet Coke.

Although taboo technically Diet pop is Keto friendly and I will indulge in a Diet Sunkist Orange, Diet Vanilla, Diet Vanilla Coke or Coke Zero from time to time without jeopardizing my diet.
I used to be a Diet-Coke-aholic a few years back and was like that from the 1980's when they introduced it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by das_peikko
I drink that grape flavored Propel water most of the time. It's sweetened with Splenda. I'm a big fan of CocaCola, but I worry about getting diabetes from it. I drink the Coke only on special occasions.

Splenda is still somewhat sugar because it's a synthetic sugar but modified into an artificial sweetener. It is also a very unhealthy chemical like Aspartame just so you know. It has been linked to Cancer in high amounts in rats.

Last edited:
The chemicals in the diet soda are no prize either. They may actually be more harmful to you than sugary soda's. The key is not consuming a LOT of either one. An occasional soda is no big deal. Stay away from the HFCS though. That's just poison. At least regular sugar is found in nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back