So, Simple Mobile is VERIZON (owned) now.. WHAT??

If you like T-Mobile, and want to be sure your company stays T-Mobile, I suggest one of their own-brand Connect prepaid plans.
They have what you're paying $25 for, for $15. MVNOs just aren't very appealing any more. The big 3 have dropped their prices.

Verizon has owned parts or all of these off brand companies for a few years. The just converted Total wireless to total by Verizon. They cut the data and upped the cost on new plans and said they are gonna kick everyone off their existing plans in a year or two. Looks like they are doing it to all the trac phone offshoots.
You mean a year for the Tracfone ones.

I am 7 months into Mint Mobile 4gig data for $15. Excellent service and have not run out of data yet. Works great on a SammY A53

Carlos Slim sold Tracfone to Verizon last year.

MVNOs buy network access wholesale from the three big network operators (AT&T, T-Mo, and Verizon), and some, like Tracfone, offered a choice of more than one network.

It doesn't make much sense for Verizon to keep buying something it can already provide itself, so it's moving all of those customers to its own network.

From a market standpoint, Verizon taking control of one of the largest prepaid service providers isn't going to benefit competition, as there will be one fewer independent player to keep them honest. They can both squeeze the low-margin MVNOs by lowering their prices just a bit and take their customers, start up direct competiton like Visible, or buy up the others, and play the long game to raise prices higher in the future, when they have even greater control.

As TV cord cutters have discovered, the content cartel are really the ones pulling the strings, so whether their stuff is being delivered by MSOs, OTT services, or in the new age of streaming, directly from in-house brands/services, they're going to get their blood from viewers regardless.

Hi. I am presently going through it with Simple Mobile. The most recent SIM card I bought is from Verizon Wireless. They are trying to switch it now.....

In essence, there is Simple Mobile T-Mobile/AT&T (I think) and now apparently it is a Verizon MVNO.

So... WHAT?
Will my service continue to be good?
Is it now affected in a negative way?

I am on the phone now with sketchy Tech Support....
Well, the good news is you are under no obligation to stay with Simple Mobile since you do not have a contract and can go to any service provider you like. If you want to stay with TMobile just go to Red Pocket.

There are cell service providers in the US: Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. Everyone else is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). That is, they buy time/data from one of the big 3 and sell you minutes/data.

Well, the good news is you are under no obligation to stay with Simple Mobile since you do not have a contract and can go to any service provider you like. If you want to stay with TMobile just go to Red Pocket.

Yeah I'm on the phone with them now again.

I'm trying to get to keep my specific number...

There are cell service providers in the US: Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T. Everyone else is a mobile virtual network operator (MVNO). That is, they buy time/data from one of the big 3 and sell you minutes/data.
That's always why I felt I was coming out ahead using an MVNO. I rode the Virgin Mobile $25 a month train until my LG Optimus V - my first phone - no longer functioned well on the modern Internets...

Ok. The latest, and I'm not making this up: "Request to move number from Simple Mobile T-Mobile to Simple Mobile Verizon failed so will reactivate Simple Mobile T-mobile SIM to move it back to Simple Mobile Verizon."

I'm fine with that, I just want my cool number and hopefully the service is as good as it has been.

UPDATE: Between falling asleep around 6PM to 7PM last night and waking up this morning around 5… Verizon SIM now in and phone IS working.

Learning my 3rd Gen iPhone SE now.. I’ve only been using Android for 15+ years.

Screenshot
D98636A4-5AD8-484C-98A0-6B99FA50E43B.png

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: Between falling asleep around 6PM to 7PM last night and waking up this morning around 5… Verizon SIM now in and phone IS working.

Learning my 3rd Gen iPhone SE now.. I’ve only been using Android for 15+ years.

ScreenshotView attachment 128308
It will take a while to get used to Apple. You may even curse at it once in a while, some things seem retarded at first, over a long time I think you will be wondering why did you wait so long. At least that is my wife and I experience. It might be a little boring at first just because it works and doesnt need constant tinkering.
Sometimes the Wild West of Android can be fun, living on the edge so to speak, ... but if anything like our experience, over time you will get used to APPLE and never want to go back. Of course, there are always those on the wild side who do, I used to think I was one of those but Apple convinced me its best to stay with them. ;)

Last edited:
It will take a while to get used Apple. You may even curse at it once in a while, some things seem retarded at first, over a long time I think you will be wondering why did you wait so long. At least that is my wife and I experience. It might be a little boring at first just because it works and doesnt need constant tinkering.
Sometimes the Wild West of Android can be fun, living on the edge so to speak, ... but if anything like our experience, over time you will get used to APPLE and never want to go back. Of course, there are always those on the wild side who do, I used to think I was one of those but Apple convinced me its best to stay with them. ;)
Well I’m presently getting the crazy looks when I’m still at the phase of telling people, “I can pick up my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active and just use it 🌌 📱 the iPhone I need to figure it out”…. I DONT want iTunes I want the equivalent app of Pulsar for my free MP3s… I don’t trust iTunes even if it CAN do that… Waze is working fine… so I’m in the transition phase.

Read the reviews on how BAD Samsung Galaxies are now (as well as ENTIRELY too big) and maybe just maybe this will turn into my new iPhone 4 or 4S. No, I didn’t mistype that…it’s an SE 3rd Generation so it must have the best of all worlds, there are certain things I DONT want in a phone and the PIN every time it went to Lock Screen (inactivity) 🔒 🔐 was one of them.

I have to be able to pick up the phone and use it.

Now I’m deleting all the stuff I will never use like Garage Band and other thing I’m literally reading up on how to use my iPhone like it is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

Well I’m presently getting the crazy looks when I’m still at the phase of telling people, “I can pick up my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active and just use it 🌌 📱 the iPhone I need to figure it out”…. I DONT want iTunes I want the equivalent app of Pulsar for my free MP3s… I don’t trust iTunes even if it CAN do that… Waze is working fine… so I’m in the transition phase.

Read the reviews on how BAD Samsung Galaxies are now (as well as ENTIRELY too big) and maybe just maybe this will turn into my new iPhone 4 or 4S. No, I didn’t mistype that…
Yeah, cant tell you anything about iTunes. Unless you are referring to Apple Music which I think is combined into one? I have no idea.
Agree, dont know I would trust Apple with my MP3s either, I like to be in control of my stuff.

We never had a big collection of MP3s, we do listen to a lot of music and subscribe to Apple Music. Love the "lossless" option and I do think the audio rates a bit higher than other streaming music services (not mp3s) for the price. It still amazes me that I can voice search a hit song from when I was a teenager and in a second or two its playing ... *LOL*

Im not crazy about the latest price increase though just went from $14.99 (family plan, wife and me) to $16.99 right now they got me but they better not keep pushing me *LOL* I do love discovering unlimited music and has expanded my horizons. I do pay $1 a month for extra storage (unrelated to music) and NOW $6.99 a month for Apple TV but I pay by the year so will see next year, was $4.99 a month for years. I think if I call them I'll get a whopping $2 off for bundling them together. I can roll all these into an Apple 1family plan for $22.95 a month which also includes 180 ad free games that I dont use. They do have an individual plan for $6 less a month.

Last edited:
I went to Straight Talk years ago from Verizon. I had one line with a basic smartphone plan and it was over $100. Every month it was a battle to call them and argue about the price. It started out at like $65/month and just kept going up. I have the Nationwide Unlimited plan with ST and have been happy. The bill is always right and service is probably the best I’ll find anywhere. Even when I’ve needed tech support they’ve been very helpful.

I went to Straight Talk years ago from Verizon. I had one line with a basic smartphone plan and it was over $100. Every month it was a battle to call them and argue about the price. It started out at like $65/month and just kept going up. I have the Nationwide Unlimited plan with ST and have been happy. The bill is always right and service is probably the best I’ll find anywhere. Even when I’ve needed tech support they’ve been very helpful.
See… this is the part that confuses me, I pay about $27.06 a month, I am OCD about paying my service “around the first of the month” so my phone has been off several times as a result… and I have people telling me $25 a month is too much.

I’ve heard it said that you have to be way out in remote rural areas for Verizon service to really win out. Now that Simple Mobile is using the Verizon towers…

And @alarmguy Last song someone “discovered” on iTunes (a decade ago, a friend of mine) was “New Day” by Latin group Basia. I like it! Now I just rip my music song by song from the best sounding track available on YouTube and I think I’ve only had TWO songs it said it can’t and I found a way… completely free… it does take time though. Presently playing it just out of Files but it still isn’t as fluid as a dedicated music player (again
Free) like on Android if I can find Pulsar in Apple Store or one like it…

This one

The only downside is when Verizon towers are busy they toss you off like riff/raff trash and you lose data services if MVNO. Happened to my daughter a bunch of times on Red Pocket/Verizon. We since moved to Verizon Starter unlimited which is $31/line unlimited with 5 lines.

If you're stuck on MVNO's, you should strongly consider one based off T-Mobile towers. I've been a loyal Sprint customer since 2010, through thick and thin. I followed the TMO/Sprint merger deal closely, and while I happily admit TMO played fast and loose with federal regulators to push the merger through they also knew what they were doing. TMO was smart enough to recognize that Sprint had been buying up spectrum that it would never be able to deploy just to keep competition at arm's length. That spectrum alone sealed the TMO deal.

2ish years into the merger/integration, and as a legacy Sprint customer I can confirm that the transition has been mostly smooth. TMO has done an excellent job re-purposing existing Sprint towers to expand their 5G reach.

See… this is the part that confuses me, I pay about $27.06 a month, I am OCD about paying my service “around the first of the month” so my phone has been off several times as a result… and I have people telling me $25 a month is too much.

I’ve heard it said that you have to be way out in remote rural areas for Verizon service to really win out. Now that Simple Mobile is using the Verizon towers…

And @alarmguy Last song someone “discovered” on iTunes (a decade ago, a friend of mine) was “New Day” by Latin group Basia. I like it! Now I just rip my music song by song from the best sounding track available on YouTube and I think I’ve only had TWO songs it said it can’t and I found a way… completely free… it does take time though. Presently playing it just out of Files but it still isn’t as fluid as a dedicated music player (again
Free) like on Android if I can find Pulsar in Apple Store or one like it…

This one
Apple Music will handle your music just fine. A majority of my “older” music (from 15+ years ago) is either ripped from YouTube or… uhm.. borrowed from a certain citrus site that would also give your computer HerpaGonaSyphilAids, iTunes/Apple Music never messed with it. Worst it did was lump a song with a goofy title in with the rest of the mislabeled stuff which made it hard to find.

Back