So my wife bought tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife got an unrepairable flat and ended up dropping $550 for 4 Yokohama Avid Envigor's(215/45/17) on our 2005 Legacy turbo wagon. Apparently Made in the USA.

Are these decent tires?

Good tires in the dry and wet, but latest CR test gives them a "poor" rating on snow and ice. So if your wife uses these as 3 season tires, they should be good.

i've heard bad in terms of overall life. But aside from that nothing bad about them. They aren't the same as the old Avids tho.

if you can give me the DOT code i can tell you what plant they were made in.
I know the Yokos i currently have are US made. possibly in virginia, possibly @ a United Steel Workers plant.(been a while since i looked 'em up.)
just need the first 2 characters after DOT from the sidewall

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Good tires in the dry and wet, but latest CR test gives them a "poor" rating on snow and ice. So if your wife uses these as 3 season tires, they should be good.

CR report correct. I have these on my Rav4. Seem to wear good and ride nice but BEWARE IN SNOW AND ICE!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
My wife got an unrepairable flat and ended up dropping $550 for 4 Yokohama Avid Envigor's(215/45/17) on our 2005 Legacy turbo wagon. Apparently Made in the USA.

Are these decent tires?

I had a set of year-old Envigors on my 04 Accord that I just sold. They replaced a set of Avid V4S' (and I have a new set of Avid Ascend's on my 07 TSX). I'm a Yokohama fan and believe that they're tough to beat as far as "value" goes.

I think the tires offer great grip and handling. I can't speak to rain and snow performance because I live in New Mexico where we get little of either. This certainly played in to my decision making process.

On the Avid V4S I didn't think I got great treadlife, but DT offered a generous pro-rated warranty which led to the purchase of the Envigors. I probably would have purchased them without the warranty though. I purchased the new Ascend's (which btw I'm loving so far) for the TSX without any type of warranty if that says anything about my brand loyalty. Do I think Michelin's are better, yes. Do I think they're worth the extra $$ over a set of Yokohama's, no. I'm a value shopper though, looking for the best price/performance ratio.

Someone already mentioned CR - I'd check out their reviews, as well as Tire Rack's test results, surveys, user reviews, etc. I think combining the information from both these sources will give you a good idea of what's good and what isn't. They don't agree on every tire, but there are plenty that they both think are solid or not so good.

Are these decent tires?

What tires were on the car before the new Yoko Avid Env's were installed? If the other tires were nothing special in the snow, you'll probably love these Yoko's in the snow on tha Sub.

Soobies roll on 45 series now? That alone would give me pause in the snow.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Soobies roll on 45 series now? That alone would give me pause in the snow.

One might think that but e.g.
Many Mazda3 FWD only, are using 215-45-17 or even larger 18" in the winter time. Not saying that they're great/optimal in the snow with that tire choice but, they get through it!

With good tires, the Subaru should do fine with AWD. The Yoko AVID Env's may not be that bad in the snow, IDK! Taking into consideration that in 2005, the OE tires MAY NOT have even been as good. We don't know!

Are these decent tires?

Is there a 30 day return policy on the tires? You may want to upgrade to something more suitable. But, I think you and your wife will be fine. This may help with your conficence...From the tirerack review section, most Sub owners love'em in the snow. I don't know if this link worked!

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&commentStatus=P&tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+ENVigor+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Last edited:
Bummer on winter traction if true.

She is a very good winter driver. Before this car(Subie first brand new and car worth >$2000) she drove 80's/90's Japanese FWD econoboxes and third tier all-seasons and got around.

17" is a bummer as I had winter tires 16" from my prior Subaru but they do not clear the brakes. Her Subaru Legacy turbo is a basically a grownups WRX so it large brake rotors.

Prior tires were Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Installer complaint on that tire was a lot of complaints and returns due to balancing. She asked.

I guess water under the bridge now. At least not super expensive tires and yeah two non-football gear fans get a $100 gift card to the patriots store......
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Prior tires were Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Installer complaint on that tire was a lot of complaints and returns due to balancing. ........

I thought the balance issues with the DWS were resolved by the 2nd year of production?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Prior tires were Conti ExtremeContact DWS. Installer complaint on that tire was a lot of complaints and returns due to balancing. ........

I thought the balance issues with the DWS were resolved by the 2nd year of production?

Not sure. We had the first production run of DWS as they just came out and no issues.

I have these tires on my Forester in 215/60/16 size. I have put 43k miles on them and estimate they have another 10-15k miles of tread remaining.

They are on par with the Michelin Pilot Exalto tires they replaced. I thought the Michelins handled better in turns, but these seem to be quieter.

The DOT code on mine is CC and they were made in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back