Snowplow Debris Injures 12, Damages over 40 Vehicles!

40 vehicles ! In the clip shown, there was what, 5-10, so this plow driver was doing this same thing for a while.

I've seen good plow drivers on interstate highways like this do it the right way. It takes the same # of plows as lanes and they direct the snow to the right, towards the shoulder. The lead plow will be in the far-left lane, next plow in the lane to the right, and so on and each catches and re-directs the snow from the plow in front. Yes, the block traffic, but the road gets clear.

Dunno if it's a crime to be stupid, but there is negligence and the plow company's insurance is about to take a big hit. It'll be interesting to hear the results of the drug testing...the driver may yet be charged.

Glad no one was killed; this could have been much much worse.

I also saw the news story. I'm curious how the drug test goes. He has six years experience so the plow driver should have known better.

I also saw the news story. I'm curious how the drug test goes. He has six years experience so the plow driver should have known better.
Looks like he was having a bad day- taking out some kind of frustration.

Dunno if it's a crime to be stupid, but there is negligence and the plow company's insurance is about to take a big hit. It'll be interesting to hear the results of the drug testing...the driver may yet be charged.

Glad no one was killed; this could have been much much worse.
If they are plowing the highway it is likely DOT.

There is a shortage of drivers, so they are hiring/keeping just about anyone who can breathe with a CDL. The town plow that does my street is terrible. I live on a dead end street with a culdesac and they always seem to make a huge mess of the street.

For some people - experience results in improved skills because learning has taken place over that time.

But, clearly, that doesn't apply to everyone.

What an idiot.

I could see the local town guys do that in my old town because they don't care and think they can do anything they want with respect to the roads. But not the state DOT (or contractors) on a highway.

A lot of no-nos there...

As was stated, the correct way to clear snow off a inside shoulder with median barrier is to blade it all left to right, with enough trucks to push all the way off the roadway. The bad part is when being done it slows all lanes of traffic.

Option 2 is to blow and haul the snow out. This is typically only cost effective on smaller segments (like bridge decks).

Option 3 is to at very low speed push it to the median barrier. With high speed highway plows which are capable of throwing snow a long way, keeping the speed and wake down is imperative.

We have lots of trucks set up with wings on the left hand side - they typically are used on our non-median, rural section highways with open medians, and a two way plow on the front.

This isn't overly surprising given the current labor market. Since this is a private contractor I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of OTJ training. If this person was a warm body that held a CDL and didn't know any better I guess this what you get...

Just my $0.02

Maine turnpike plows only the left lane into the median. That truck is followed at a decent distance by a few more plowing to the right shoulder. The convoy is set up this way so cars can weave through.

But we don't have jerks doing the job.

Last edited:
The one car that spun out into the ditch had their windshield blown out and the guys face was all bloody. He better lawyer up because I think a large payday is coming to everyone.

beach ball sized hole in windshield. Beachball sized hole in the insurance companies stacks of 100$ bills.

Plowing at 70 sheesh. if you have to plow to center 20-35mph max some parts.

Back