snowblower shear pins, OEM or aftermarket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
in regards to snowblower shearpins...OEM MTD shear pins without a cotter pin are $5 each through most retail and online suppliers.

I can buy 10 aftermarket shear pins made for MTD machines on eBay for a little less than $20 shipped to my door.

Is there a real difference in functionality between the two? Does the non-OEM ebay work equally well as OEM?

As long as the pin is a certain rating it should work fine. We used to use tons of shear pins from who knows where where I work at. They seemed to work fine.

Hummmm. Don't know if their is a real difference in the functionality but I'd rather stick with the original parts. I usually go through one pin every two years.

Better to know that the shearpin will snap instead of busting a connecting rod.
frown.gif

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the MTD OEM pins come out off the very same line that the aftermarkets do.

Shear pins aren't anything special. They're an inexpensive part being sold for the price of gold by dealerships. It's a rip off. Plain and simple.

Take the shear pin to a hardware store and buy similar sized grade 2 bolts and nylock nuts. You can buy a life supply for the cost of five dealership shear pins.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Take the shear pin to a hardware store and buy similar sized grade 2 bolts and nylock nuts.

This is what the OLD MTDs used for years...we had a bigger Sno-Flite built in the late 70s/early 80s, and that's what they used.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Shear pins aren't anything special. They're an inexpensive part being sold for the price of gold by dealerships. It's a rip off. Plain and simple.

Take the shear pin to a hardware store and buy similar sized grade 2 bolts and nylock nuts. You can buy a life supply for the cost of five dealership shear pins.

New ones are beveled for the stress relief. Use of a standard bolt may not work properly.

b4d15375-a9cb-46e6-93a2-59b5a5ba8558_300.jpg

Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Oh just throw a Grade 8 in there
04.gif

there ya go borticus, JUST KIDDING!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back