Snow Tires how much narrower makes a difference?

well say it is the same tire model/tread pattern and rubber compound?

I am talking snows vs snows, same tire just different sizes with 1 being .4" (5%) narrower?
The only scenario where narrower tire will be better is if you are in very deep snow and trying to cut through it to reach the pavement below. But the problem is that if you get into deep snow, you'll most likely be plowing it with your bumper so you'll get stuck anyway.

On the other hand, narrower tires sacrifice dry traction and braking performance.

You are overthinking this, IMO. If TireRack thought that 195/60/16 was a good idea for your car, they'd be listing this size as an option.

The only scenario where narrower tire will be better is if you are in very deep snow and trying to cut through it to reach the pavement below. But the problem is that if you get into deep snow, you'll most likely be plowing it with your bumper so you'll get stuck anyway.

On the other hand, narrower tires sacrifice dry traction and braking performance.

You are overthinking this, IMO.
thanks then I guess I will stick with the stock size which is 205/55R16

I think it's supposed to float less by going narrower, but if you're getting dedicated winter tires anyways, it's probably better to just get the OEM size.

the 195/65r15 and 195/60r16 are both 7.7" wide so I don't see a need to buy a set of 15" wheels, yes the tires are a bit cheaper but not worth the cost of a second set of wheels etc.
Unless you have the ability to mount and balance your own tires, make sure you factor in mounting and balancing twice a year.

Mount and balance @ (for example - your local rates may vary) 4 tires x $20/tire = $80. 2x$80 (spring and fall)=$160.

Depending on your mileage and driving style, let's say you get four winters out of your new tires. $160/yr x 4 years = $640.

A set of 15" steelies plus one-time mounting and balancing (if not thrown in with your wheel and tire purchase) starts to look cheap in comparison. Not to mention that you give yourself the ability to swap tires over with a jack , a lug nut wrench and a torque wrench, rather that dealing with getting an appointment when everyone else also wants their tires switched over. If you do continue to go to the tire shop for your changeovers, it will surely be faster and less expensive if your tires are already mounted & balanced vs. your current plan.

sorry there seems to be some confusion or typos.

we are talking 16" wheels here, I see mentions of 15"

Most people who use two sets of tires also have two sets of wheels. Use a 16" in the stock size 205/55-16 for 3 seasons, and use a set of 15" wheels with 195/65-15 tires for winter :)

If you use one set of wheels for two sets of tires, the cost to change the tires twice a year could get you a set of steel wheels.

Unless you have the ability to mount and balance your own tires, make sure you factor in mounting and balancing twice a year.

Mount and balance @ (for example - your local rates may vary) 4 tires x $20/tire = $80. 2x$80 (spring and fall)=$160.

Depending on your mileage and driving style, let's say you get four winters out of your new tires. $160/yr x 4 years = $640.

A set of 15" steelies plus one-time mounting and balancing (if not thrown in with your wheel and tire purchase) starts to look cheap in comparison. Not to mention that you give yourself the ability to swap tires over with a jack , a lug nut wrench and a torque wrench, rather that dealing with getting an appointment when everyone else also wants their tires switched over. If you do continue to go to the tire shop for your changeovers, it will surely be faster and less expensive if your tires are already mounted & balanced vs. your current plan.

also this

I run 195/65R15 winter tires as opposed to original size 205/55R16.
Bought a set of steel rims and ran 1st winter set 7 winters, took old tires off and spray-can repainted the rims that now have second set on them since 2 weeks ago. Narrower tire helps with grip and reduces hydroplaning while taller sidewall reduces chances of steel rim bending/damage. Also, smaller diameter rims and tires are cheaper thus you can get a better tire for money.

I had thought about going quite a bit smaller on my Focus, but what I had found with that is the smaller the tire, the weight rating goes down a lot. Our Sentra has 205/55-16 from the factory, I was going to get 195/60-16 for it for snow tires. We were running 205/60 used tires the last few years. Somehow I accidentally bought 205/65. I guess the extra ground clearance will be good?

Narrower helps a bit. And taller.
I'll go along with that. 295/65/20s work for me. (Toyo CTs)

You are overthinking this, IMO. If TireRack thought that 195/60/16 was a good idea for your car, they'd be listing this size as an option.
And there better not be ice below that deep snow either...

Unless I missed it, I didn't see mentioned as to whether the OP(tiredguy) is going with another set of wheels. If going with another set of wheels, you can stay with your OE size or go to the 195-65-15 which is what we did. Our OE size was 205-55-16 but for our winter tires/wheels, we stepped down to the mentioned 195-65-15.

Although I do agree with narrower being better for winter traction/performance in deep snow, I don't think that as little as a 10mm narrower tire is a significantly/noticeably different in getting better winter traction as much as going from e.g., a 235mm down to a 205mm tire. But, anything we can do to help ourselves get through the winter is a bonus.

If not changing the wheels, going narrower could be a mistake. Imagine having a little slide into a curb. The narrower tyre will expose the rim more, and a bent alloy is often the end of the trip. Sure, you could swap a spare on in the freezing cold but better do it someplace else or the next one sliding a bit really ruins your day.

Also, the narrower tyre will be a slight bit stretched on the rim which makes it more direct steering but can work against you when you need gentle steering inputs.

Back