How does a 2006 Jetta do in the snow?

You're going to need to carry chains anyway, since you have a 2WD vehicle. So, when an R2 chain control condition is called, you will need to chain up, regardless of the tires you have.

Lake Tahoe area doesn't seem to be that bad when it comes to steep hills on the main roads, since it's relatively flat, but the roads are curvy.

Back with my old FWD Passat, I didn't have in general issues with Nokian WR G3 tires, except for climbing long steep hills, which Northern NJ has a surprising amount... once you run out of momentum fighting traction on the packed snow, you're going to be sliding back down the hill you made progress on. It really didn't make much of a difference when I had Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI and General Altimax Arctic, I needed to chain up on those hills to get home anyway.

As mentioned before, Nokian WR G4 are a great option for the coastal CA folks that travel into the CA mountains to enjoy the snow. But when the WSI (snowflake) gets close to wearing out, traction in the snow takes a huge nose dive. But, CA is very cautious, so they will call an R2 condition sooner to be safe, even if it's annoying to put on chains.

Chains: practice every year before you hit the mountains, in the comfortable temperatures of the Bay Area. Most people buy cables though, but avoid the "roller" type cables. SCC Super Z6 is a popular and affordable option and there are lots of videos on youtube for installation.

And finally... before you go, check the conditions on http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov/

And they also have an app for your smart phone also.

Last edited:
Never heard of Peak Mountain tires but why would you put on three tires? Either a set of four ideally or two on the drive wheels.

Not three tires, but a symbol with three peaks on a mountain.

Used to be called "mountain on a snowflake" but it's now called "Three Peak Mountain Snowflake" (3PMSF). It's a symbol showing a mountain with three peaks that was originally designed by the Rubber Manufacturer's of America and a Canadian tire trade association, but seems to have been coopted by European regulators.

Three-Peak-Mountain-Snowflake-3PMSF-MS-symbol-626x383.jpg

Lake Tahoe area doesn't seem to be that bad when it comes to steep hills on the main roads, since it's relatively flat, but the roads are curvy.

My first time driving in Tahoe during severe winter conditions was interesting. I had possibly the worst excuse for all-season tires ever - the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. There was nothing about it that made it an all season tire other than maybe a different compound and I heard a different carcass that created a smaller contact patch (and thus more pressure). But they sucked on the road. But they let me through a chain checkpoint anyways since it said that on the tire, I was driving my WRX, and there was decent tread left. It was hairy but I survived.

I saw a Denali that had crashed into a snowbank, and what looked like a RWD pickup truck just spinning its tires trying to get out of a parking lot that had a slight uphill grade to get up to the roadway. I think it just needed weight in the bed.

thanks for the replies...

the issue with winter tires is that most of my driving to Lake Tahoe is from the SF bay area.

from what I understand winter tires are for temperatures of 45F and below. 85% of my driving from SF bay area to Lake Tahoe is in warmer weather.

It will be too warm for winter tires and they most likely won't last more then a year.

I recall reading once that chunks of rubber will be coming off, if one drive winter tires in a temps above 45F, most likely an exaggeration.

A little bit late (saw this in a recommended topic) but there's a lot of moving parts here. The 3PMSF symbol describes a tire that meets a certain standard for snow/ice traction. Most are traditional winter tires, but they can include speed-rated performance winter tires and what many now call "all-weather" tires. The latter meet the standard but may not be true winter tires. Astro and someone mentioned the Nokian WR series but there are more. Even the big companies have joined in on the action like Michelin with the CrossClimate+ and CrossClimate 2. Most of these even have mileage warranties, which simply don't exist in true winter tires. This article lists a bunch of them including ones from Vredestein, Kumho, Firestone, and Goodyear.

And for the mentions of requirements during chain conditions in California - all vehicle are required to carry chains when there is a declared chain condition. Even an R1 condition. However, I have never been asked to show my chains, and I've been checked in California by Caltrans, county workers, CHP (I think it was CHP), and National Park Service (they follow the same standards in California national parks). They always noted that I was driving a Subaru and eyeballed the front left tire before waving me through.

Most of these even have mileage warranties, which simply don't exist in true winter tires.
True Winter - Michelin X-ice Snow "In North America, the new X-Ice SNOW will carry a limited treadwear warranty of 60,000 kilometres (40,000 miles)"

Get these on spare rims. Run them from start of snow season (or when you start to go skiing) and take them off at end of season.

The X-ice is the only one I know of that ever had a treadwear warranty on snows. Recommended by many for being almost all season like in warmer weather but very good in snow and ice.

Had an 06 jetta tdi manual tranny that did well in the snow. Could plow some if needed, on the regular all season tires. Had to fiddle with the traction control, ie turn it off and spin the tires to clear the tread.

My tdi wagon did good, until there was any sort of incline. Or more than several inches of snow, then it would get high ended. But slow rev‘ing diesel plus a manual trans made the most of it.

I gots AWD... and still need to practice putting on cables, before I ventured into the Sierras (replaced the factory Bridgestones with Michelin CC2)
SZ-435 235-55-20 by thisistan, on Flickr

old AWD rig... gotta practice putting on chains, even with winter tires (Nitto SN2)
Peerless Auto-trac snow chain practise fitting by thisistan, on Flickr

The old 08 Passat with Nokian WR G3... needs some chains for steep hill climbing to get home (fortunately, it never floods when the rest of the area floods).
4664DD07-3E05-4AAE-A22F-170B6F47EC66_zpsbogbjrnx by thisistan, on Flickr

Back