How does a 2006 Jetta do in the snow?

A 2.5L with automatic transmission.

Considering using the Jetta for winter trips to Lake Tahoe. I know that the conditions might require chains.

I am thinking of putting Three Peak Mountain Snowflake All Season Tires on it.

Tire size is 205/55-16

Depends on the tires.

It will do better with 4 actual winter tires than it will with 3 Peak MSF tires. All season tires are a compromise. Dedicated winter tires are better in the snow.

You will need chains to comply with chain laws in Tahoe, I believe, but check the CA laws. In Utah and CO, you need chains when chain laws are in effect.

Four quality dedicated snow tires in the winter. I use to put four Gislaves on my old Volvo 740 wagon and I had zero problems getting around in the winter even with Western Pa's winters and hills. I run 4 snows on my Prius and have never once had an issue in eleven winters I've had it.

thanks for the replies...

the issue with winter tires is that most of my driving to Lake Tahoe is from the SF bay area.

from what I understand winter tires are for temperatures of 45F and below. 85% of my driving from SF bay area to Lake Tahoe is in warmer weather.

It will be too warm for winter tires and they most likely won't last more then a year.

I recall reading once that chunks of rubber will be coming off, if one drive winter tires in a temps above 45F, most likely an exaggeration.

I have driven too many summers to count on snow tires, never any issues other than a little faster tread wear noise and a little softer handling .
mind you the summers here are short so may maybe that helped in my case.

A separate set of dedicated snow tires would be ideal, but if you don't want to do that I'd just get some all-seasons and bring chains with you.

I would assume pretty good with proper tires since that model has an iron engine block and is a large engine to boot in a small FWD car.

The reviews I've read on three peak rated tires have been mostly positive, interesting alternative you're looking at. They certainly should handle your summer driving fine.

I had a 2006 Jetta TDI and drove it in a few snowfalls and it did just fine on the OEM tires. I never took it up in the mountains or anything but 4-8” of snow it did well other than restarting to plow a bit in the deep stuff.

Depends on the tires.

It will do better with 4 actual winter tires than it will with 3 Peak MSF tires. All season tires are a compromise. Dedicated winter tires are better in the snow.

You will need chains to comply with chain laws in Tahoe, I believe, but check the CA laws. In Utah and CO, you need chains when chain laws are in effect.
Unless it's changed in 30 years you will definitely need them for the California side. Nevada snow tires are OK or they were.

General tire snow tires say they have extended tread life with the compound they use, find something like that, I'd also go for the 195-65-15 and a steel rim, if the 15 fits, as that what I got for my Vibe/Matrix which had the same 205 stock size, do all 4 tires or the rear will slide around as I found out once. Add scoop shovel and the Jetta is ready for duty.

the 3 peak all season is a good compromise, but if your gonna be going there almost daily id consider getting some separate rims and dedicated snow tires.

if not, id rather spend the money on good snow chains than cheap tires.

Have you ever chained up? I would practice before you are in a snowstorm on the side of the road and its required.
If chains get lose they rip car parts off and mangle.

Ideally you would want AWD and winter tires.. If you havent driven in snow much.. I would go as close to ideal as possible.

A 2.5L with automatic transmission.

Considering using the Jetta for winter trips to Lake Tahoe. I know that the conditions might require chains.

I am thinking of putting Three Peak Mountain Snowflake All Season Tires on it.

Tire size is 205/55-16
Good. Heavy front and above average dynamic capability for that class will result in good snow performance.
Generally all VW’s do good in snow. Granted, bad tires will result in bad performance.

I ran snow tires on all four corners on a 2002 Jetta for ten winters, and the performance was wonderful.
I don’t race or slalom, but Wisconsin and Minnesota snowstorms never left me stranded nor did I ever leave the roadway.

Nokian makes a tire called the WRG4. It’s a snow tire with all season capability. I had a set on my wife’s Volvo XC and they lasted like all seasons (which, on that car isn’t long) but gripped like snows in snow and ice.

That tire, or its equivalent from Vredestein, might be exactly what you’re looking for.

Winter tires do fine on dry, warm roads, but their handling is squirmy and their life is short. The WRG4 avoids both of those problems.

Back