Snow chains vs socks?

It sounds like she would be going up to ski fairly regularly. If that’s the case then winter tires would be a great advantage. She doesn’t want to wreck that Audi. Have the chains available just in case.

I’m in the area. The mountains just got up to 3 feet of new snow in the past 24-36 hours. That’s typical. The snow just dumps sometimes. The passes will close for avalanche control or if conditions are too extreme.

She should also have in her car a bag with blankets, food stuff, etc in case she gets stuck for hours. That is a real possibility here.

It's kind of tricky when it's really just a few specific routes. The major highways are plowed. I've never gotten winter tires and went up to the mountains often once upon a time. But absolutely carry chains and learn how to use them. But that's really as a last resort since they're a huge pain to install and remove.

But Seattle doesn't really see much snow, although the might be a light dusting every year and some heavier snow every few years.

It's kind of tricky when it's really just a few specific routes. The major highways are plowed. I've never gotten winter tires and went up to the mountains often once upon a time. But absolutely carry chains and learn how to use them. But that's really as a last resort since they're a huge pain to install and remove.

But Seattle doesn't really see much snow, although the might be a light dusting every year and some heavier snow every few years.

Seattle and the other cities don’t get the heavy snows on a regular basis but it’s surprising how little one has to travel before getting into it. It doesn’t take much to shut the cities down.

The other train of thought is to have the tools to avoid the nuts that cannot drive in even a ¼ inch of snow.

Having driven Seattle area passes all my life, I can't remember the last time I chained up. My advice would be to get a set of actual snow tires on dedicated rims (and a boy friend/husband to swap them for her) and a set of chains to carry along, but stay home if chains are required. As mentioned earlier, the DOT is pretty good about keeping the passes plowed around here.

Seattle and the other cities don’t get the heavy snows on a regular basis but it’s surprising how little one has to travel before getting into it. It doesn’t take much to shut the cities down.

The other train of thought is to have the tools to avoid the nuts that cannot drive in even a ¼ inch of snow.

I've been in Seattle when it snowed. I was surprised, but they actually have plows available and can probably request help from other parts of the state. I'm not sure what kind, but it's generally easy enough to just use a plow attachment on a work vehicle. I'm kind of surprised that they plow on Vashon Island though.

WW_2021_Map-scaled.jpg
2021-22-snow-routes.ashx

I remember the first time that I ever drove on the snow. Did so on the worst excuse for an all-season tire ever - the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. I frankly feel fortunate that I didn't crash my car. But after a while one figures it out, although I'd done a few things like skidded out taking a turn too fast. But AWD might help a little bit with moving, but it doesn't do squat for steering and braking, which is where winter tires or chains help immensely. But then what does that do if the guy behind you can't steer or stop?

These work pretty well

View attachment 83565

Not when the road is dry though. I mean - is there any rubber contact with chains that thick?

I've seen really odd chains conditions in my day. Like an R1 condition (all-seasons required or summer or low-tread tires chained up with 2WD) in Yosemite along Glacier Point Road to Badger Pass, although there was no chain checkpoint. Or once with an R2 chain condition with checkpoint on CA-89 from about Camp Richardson to Tahoe City. I was checked and waved through since I had a Subaru. I looked at the conditions in a "you gotta be kidding" way. The road was almost completely bone dry with maybe a patch of loose snow here or there where they might have fallen off a roof with absolutely zero ice. Those were conditions what would absolutely chew up chains or cables. And there was absolutely no reason why we couldn't go the regular speed limit except that there was a 25 MPH limit with chain conditions. I feel sorry for anyone forced to chain up in those conditions. I saw some cabled on the side of the road that got thrown from someone's car.

I believe chains are required by law in some areas. If she is required to have them available, I would prefer that they are as effective and easy to use as possible.
In Oregon "chains required" is often negated if you have "traction tires" on your vehicle and your vehicle's GVW is under 10k and you aren't towing. I drive through the Cascades often. If that exception isn't in place, the conditions are usually horrendous and you really shouldn't be driving. I believe traction tires are 3PMSF or all seasons if you're driving a 4wd or AWD if you read the statute.

In other words, check Washington's statute and see if traction tires are defined as all seasons on a 4wd or AWD vehicle. With that said, you still need to carry chains. I have the cable chains you just unroll, lay over the tire, connect, drive a couple feet, check/tighten again, and go. It's a smart idea to have a tarp in your car if you don't have AWD and have to put them on because you'll be laying on the ground to get the stuff behind the wheel figured out. The socks are probably easier but they look pointless when I see them on a parked car. They look like pantyhose and I can't imagine they help much. Maybe they do. I just chuckle at them.

Back