Snow capable vehicle for under $5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like many others have said. 5k should be able to get you into a Grand Cherokee or a Cherokee with 90-120k. I currently have a 98 that I drive daily in the salt laden state of Illinois and although it has a little rust, it's a beast in the snow!

As soon as I read your title the first thing that came to my mind was a Cherokee.

I'd be really careful on the F150. Some of the modular engines have issues with the spark plugs popping out of the head. I've read sometimes they are only held in by a few threads - read 3 or so - and tend to pop out at the most inopportune times! And don't get the 6 cyl... Check my sig

Originally Posted By: joegreen
I will say that my ford ranger is the worst thing i have driven in the snow. No offence to any ford ranger owners as i own one myself and love it but My front wheel drive toyota has way better control in the snow. It depends on what you are looking for a suv or a sedan. You probably want good mpg, reliability, and simplicity. During the winters i plow snow with my 78 chevy k20. I live in the country in ny and some places can get pretty bad without the roads being plowed. A subaru may cut it in a foot of snow but when the snow starts to pile and it freezes the front of your car becomes a snow plow. A truck or suv with some ground clearance makes a big difference. Also important is a rear locker. My truck has a locking rear end so its like 3 wheel drive and it makes a huge difference. I know some toyota land cruisers have a rear e locker. Just as important are snow tires. The proper tires make such a big difference. It may be cheaper to buy snow tires in florida idk? Dont underestimate some 4wd cars though. Many can send power to the wheels that have traction with advanced traction control systems.

Is your Ranger a 2wd or 4wd? If it's a 2wd, yeah I'd agree they're bad in the snow, although no worse than any other 2wd pickup. 2Wd pickups are basically the worst snow vehicles. But my 4wd Ranger is fantastic in the snow. Even with no extra weight in the bed and junk tires I never had any troubles in the snow. I now have much better tires but I never bother adding anything to the bed.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I'd say it depends how far you are off the beaten path. If plows rarely pass by your road during the winter, I would say a FWD car is out. Those saying a FWD car with snow tires is the best option haven't driven in the snow in the middle of nowhere in VT. In areas where the roads aren't plowed as frequently, if you get a major 12" snow storm, that can mean 12" of snow on the road. You can only push so much snow with a civic, especially up hill. Ground clearance is a must in these situations.

Subarus have head gasket issues, and they are a pain to fix.

The 4Runner is a solid option, but like you said they are getting harder to find without a million miles on them.

I'd look for a Jeep Cherokee 1991-1999 with the 4.0L engine and Automatic. The drivetrain is bullet proof and in Florida they should be rust free. There are a bit more of them around as well compared to the older 4Runners. 2000-2001 Cherokees crack the head, especially when overheated, but I've done 3 head replacements on friend's Jeeps and it is basically like working on a large lawn mower. Very simple and easy to DIY. Parts are also everywhere and easy to find.
smile.gif

Your right. I haven't driven in Vermont however I have driven in almost every Canadian province and if you truly believe Vermont and it's snow is any worse than let's say for example the snow squalls that come because of the lake effect which will dump 2' of snow in a couple if hours around Georgian bay you are dreaming.
I drove a Chrysler mini van,with snow tires,in the grid roads because the highways were closed,hitting 3' snow drifts and not once was I worried about getting stuck.
I drove into the drifts til I got stopped ,backed up then hit it again til I was through.
The belief that a 4wd or awd vehicle is a must have is a joke. I've driven in every possible winter condition and yes a 4wd is nice but I've gotten just as far with a fwd vehicle too,so your Vermont comment is barely relevant to a typical Canadian driver.
That being said not all fwd cars are as capable as others. I've found the 90s era caravan were amazing in deep snow with good rubber of course however the windstar is horrible in comparison.
My dodge omni was fantastic in deep snow too,so a car doesn't need to be high end to be good in snow either.

You know, Jeep Liberties aren't chopped liver either. Yeah they have an independent front end which breaks more off-road but is "meh" in soft snow/slush. Will have approx the same ground clearance and they still had mechanical transfer cases until ???

The newest XJ cherokee is getting around 12-13 years old but Liberties, having never found their fan base, are depreciating quickly.

How does hitting a 3' tall snow drift not bring a vehicle to a stop? Must be 3' of powder; but to get 3' tall it would have to be a 10' wide base.

At least the farther north you go, the colder it gets. More apt to be powder and not packing, or worse, slush. Or ice.

Winter tires and ground clearance is what you want to buy. Pick your favorite make, model, and color. Keep a shovel and bag of salt in the back.

If all drivers of the vehicle will not be willing to learn how to and when to use a part-time 4x4 system, don't get one.

If you will not be willing to add proper ballast to the rear of a pickup, don't get one.

Make sure you use good judgement when deciding whether or not to travel during/after severe weather. Recovery vehicles may not be able to reach you. Cell phones may not work. You may not be dressed adequately to walk long distances for help.

Originally Posted By: supton
How does hitting a 3' tall snow drift not bring a vehicle to a stop? Must be 3' of powder; but to get 3' tall it would have to be a 10' wide base.

At least the farther north you go, the colder it gets. More apt to be powder and not packing, or worse, slush. Or ice.

All 4 wheels pulling and momentum! I have gone through 3' drifts in my Cherokee...and higher ones in my F350s. Yes: for an unplowed road, you need ground clearance.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

All 4 wheels pulling and momentum! I have gone through 3' drifts in my Cherokee...and higher ones in my F350s. Yes: for an unplowed road, you need ground clearance.

X2....
Some guys have never had the pleasure of JEEP ! Therefore they just don't understand.....

New option.

Talking to a co-worker recently, he mentioned that he was looking into selling his pickup truck and getting an SUV. My interest was piqued so I asked him about his truck. He said that it is an '06 Silverado 4x4 base model standard cab longbed with a 4.3 V6 AT with nearly 100k on the odometer. He bought it new when he lived in Buffalo NY so it has some undercarriage and bumper rust but it has been in Florida for the past five years and has no body rust that I can tell.

It does have a few minor issues and I appreciate him being up front with me about them. The CEL has been burning for two years but it runs fine, probably an O2 sensor and I have a scanner.
His adult son once locked his keys in the truck and pryed the window frame open to get a coat hanger through to unlock the door, resulting in a slightly bent window frame and wind noise at speed.
No cruise control. This one is a bummer but there aftermarket units available.

I only saw it briefly in the parking lot at work and it's a nice looking truck and he will take $4500 for it so I am going to take closer look at it this weekend and take a few pics too.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
New option.

Talking to a co-worker recently, he mentioned that he was looking into selling his pickup truck and getting an SUV. My interest was piqued so I asked him about his truck. He said that it is an '06 Silverado 4x4 base model standard cab longbed with a 4.3 V6 AT with nearly 100k on the odometer. He bought it new when he lived in Buffalo NY so it has some undercarriage and bumper rust but it has been in Florida for the past five years and has no body rust that I can tell.

It does have a few minor issues and I appreciate him being up front with me about them. The CEL has been burning for two years but it runs fine, probably an O2 sensor and I have a scanner.
His adult son once locked his keys in the truck and pryed the window frame open to get a coat hanger through to unlock the door, resulting in a slightly bent window frame and wind noise at speed.

I only saw it briefly in the parking lot at work and it's a nice looking truck and he will take $4500 for it so I am going to take closer look at it this weekend and take a few pics too.

IMO, I would not choose this (or any truck) over the Suby, Yota or a JEEP. The SUV option is trouble free snow use, no need worry about or deal with light weight in the rear. I also would think that it would lack power in allot of situations and end up using more gas due to the lack of guts. I have a few friends with GM trucks and it seems they have all had transmission issues one or more times.

New option.

What would worry me here:

Buffalo Winters!

The CEL. Only because he left it on for 2 years.
That makes me question how he cared for the truck in general.

You can bend these back. Sit in the seat, open the door, put your knee against the lower portion, roll down the window, grip the top of the window frame, and yank it towards you.

This truck sounds reasonable. Take a xerox of the florida title before you register it so you can prove its provenance. Worst case, you get it to VT and it's worse than what they have up there... which, from what I've seen passing through, isn't likely.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: wsar10
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

X2....
Some guys have never had the pleasure of JEEP ! Therefore they just don't understand.....

Clevy said he was doing this in a Caravan tho.

The CEL has been burning for two years but it runs fine, probably an O2 sensor and I have a scanner.

This person does not care about their vehicles.

Or it needs something really pricey (ABS module, ecm, catalytic converters) and he doesn't want (or can't afford) to spend the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back