Snapper Out of Business?

Researching a new riding lawn mower to mow a new Bermuda lawn. Really liked the Snapper with the 42” deck because it has 4 anti scalp wheels. Most other brands require that the deck is 46” or larger to get 4 anti scalp wheels. Can‘t get a mower with a larger deck through my back gate. No dealers in my area that have anything like what’s shown on the Snapper website. Makes me wonder if Snapper is out of business??

They are not out of business. Like all companies they make "improvements" all the time.

Maybe this is an improvement.

Rod

Looks like their site: snapper.com shows an SPX series Tractor with 42" deck & anti-scalp rollers.....
They seemed to have pulled their 'Snapper' labelled walk behind mowers out of WalMarts,
you may have to search/drive further to find the dealer.

I saw a new Snapper rear engine rider at a dealer near me within the past few months. I know Briggs and Stratton bought them and there may be some problems since they declared bankruptcy. I had one of the later rear engine riders that was built in McDonough, GA and felt like I had myself a piece of history. I had always had some sort of desire to live out my inner Forrest Gump on one, but all it took was me mowing with it once to sell it to a friend with a small yard and get back on my zero turn. Cut quality was excellent, but man it was a rough ride.

Simplicity has a 44” deck with anti scalp wheels from and rear. Same thing. Can’t find a dealer.

You assume a company is out of business because local dealers don't stock a model you're looking for ? Did you ask the dealer if you can order it ?

I guess that is assuming too much… If they aren’t popular enough to stock/sale then I need to assume that they **** sure don’t stock parts. John Deere it is then!

Why do you need four anti-scalp wheels on your mower deck? The deck is not supposed to ride on the anti-scalp wheels. The anti-scalp wheels are supposed to be set at 1/2” above level ground, with your deck at desired cutting height. If your deck is leveled correctly, two anti-scalp wheels are sufficient. Have you thought about a stand on mower?
You can order a Snapper and have it freighted to you. You will need to contact the shipper and request a truck with a lift gate.
I’m sure that you have John Deere and Husqvarna dealers near you. Drop in on them and look around.

un level yard with bermuda. My craftsman with 2 deck wheels can still scalp places. As most know with mowing bermuda the deck height is now more that 2” off the ground.

un level yard with bermuda. My craftsman with 2 deck wheels can still scalp places. As most know with mowing bermuda the deck height is now more that 2” off the ground.
I have a mix of Bermuda, Centipede, St. Augustine and Bahia grasses. I cut at 2 1/2” and it looks fine. Never trust the numbers of your deck settings. Many times, actual mowing height doesn’t match those settings. Lawn tractors and lower end residential zero turn mowers are really hard to get leveled correctly. Most only have two or three points of adjustment. Cost determines the quality of the mower and quality of cut. Cheap ain’t good and good ain’t cheap.
Note: You can always buy extra wheels and brackets and have someone weld them on for you.

Last edited:
Looks like their site: snapper.com shows an SPX series Tractor with 42" deck & anti-scalp rollers.....
They seemed to have pulled their 'Snapper' labelled walk behind mowers out of WalMarts,
you may have to search/drive further to find the dealer.
Yes, alot of snappers are going through walmart for purchase, what a shame.

A guy I know just bought a " New " 2020 model old style rear engined rider from his Snapper dealer .

Back