Snap-On Torque Wrench Facility

Looks like they are being built in CA.

Not sure if it is price competitive to build these in CA. A lower-cost state or even an overseas plant (with good management) can probably achieve the same quality.

Snap-On is currently charging $675 for their 1/2” Techangle torque wrench (300 ft-lb model). People still buy them; I am one of them. I am glad to see Californians employed in manufacturing. But is this really sustainable?

Last edited:
I really hope it is sustainable, but I would not bet the farm on it. In the 1960's Utica/Bonney tool company from N. Y. built a huge hand tool plant in S.C. (low wages and no unions compared to other states at the time). I toured it about 1980 or so. They made everything from slip joint pliers to torque wrenches in the plant then. The torque wrench production was done in a special separate area of the plant that had its own dedicated elaborate HVAC system to aid in precise tolerances and quality control. The plant closed in the early 1980's.

Amazing that they have not left California like so many other businesses.
I was going to say the same. Surprised they didn’t make them someplace in the Midwest or south. CA isn’t business friendly... that said the 30M or howmany people are there all do need to do something for a living... So I suspect CA manufactures something.

I don't see why not, the tools are mid priced for the segment they are selling to. Can an overseas plant make it at the same quality? Of course but then they loose the Made in USA (IIRC I saw they are assembled in the USA). Move assembly to Taiwan and they will not get the current price.
They cannot build this in almost any European country it would be too expensive, so USA assembly is probably the best bet for them.

As far as leaving CA for somewhere like TX would be the move if they were going to make one IMO.

It could be that the skilled employee base is there and they don't want to retrain everyone or move everyone. ARP who manufactures the majority of the fasteners used in the performance industry does all of their production in Santa Paula, CA with their headquarters in Ventura, CA.

I don't see why not, the tools are mid priced for the segment they are selling to. Can an overseas plant make it at the same quality? Of course but then they loose the Made in USA (IIRC I saw they are assembled in the USA). Move assembly to Taiwan and they will not get the current price.
They cannot build this in almost any European country it would be too expensive, so USA assembly is probably the best bet for them.

As far as leaving CA for somewhere like TX would be the move if they were going to make one IMO.
The city of industry video said they make 400k/yr. So the demand is there I guess... and the more skilled the labor needs to be, the less important the where becomes, because it’s expensive everywhere.

I doubt every last part is made in CA... only the expensive value added steps...

CA is the 4th largest economy in the world. Something must be going on here, right?
Has tons of mfg left the state? Yes, primarily for offshore.
I would love to see our mfg sector grow. I remember all the Intel Fabs in Santa Clara, the Ford plant in Milpitas (Mustangs baby!), GM - NUMMI (now Tesla).
I have owned 3 cars from the Fremont plant - '65 4-4-2, '93 Toyota 4WD PU and the Tesla Model 3.

The CDI 1/4 click type I have also came out of city of industry. This is not a price sensitive product, so whatever additional costs associated with doing business in CA is passed on to the consumer. There is also the brand notoriety and trucks with financing. I have 3 USA torque wrenches, 2 precision instruments and 1 CDI and I was surprised to find they were not that much more than a "high end" Asian import, but I shopped around at tool discount sites. This tells me that SO has a decent margin on their products. All this allows them to sustain ops in "Kommiefornia."

There is also the brand notoriety and trucks with financing. I have 3 USA torque wrenches, 2 precision instruments and 1 CDI and I was surprised to find they were not that much more than a "high end" Asian import, but I shopped around at tool discount sites. This tells me that SO has a decent margin on their products. All this allows them to sustain ops in "Kommiefornia."
I think it depends on the item. The Snap on micrometer style torque wrenches are priced higher than the CDI equivalents, but the features are different.

The CDI digital and Snap on techangle wrenches are priced very similarly.

I think it depends on the item. The Snap on micrometer style torque wrenches are priced higher than the CDI equivalents, but the features are different.

The CDI digital and Snap on techangle wrenches are priced very similarly.
The 3/8" TechAngle flex head is my dream torque wrench. I would LOVE to have that, but there's no way I could ever justify spending that much on something I wouldn't use every day (or even close to every day).

I really hope it is sustainable, but I would not bet the farm on it. In the 1960's Utica/Bonney tool company from N. Y. built a huge hand tool plant in S.C. (low wages and no unions compared to other states at the time).

I'm going to have to look them up! I had a relative that worked at Chicago Pneumatic in Utica, I didn't realize there was another tool company in the area way back when ...

I have been using some of the CP tools actually. Surprising they work great with how old they are

I'm going to have to look them up! I had a relative that worked at Chicago Pneumatic in Utica, I didn't realize there was another tool company in the area way back when ...

I have been using some of the CP tools actually. Surprising they work great with how old they are
I have on occasion at yard sales, pawn shops, flea markets etc. seen Utica or Bonney branded flat wrenches, sockets and such. My dad, who is 96 has a few Utica/Bonney flat wrenches and sockets. Most of his tools are probably 1940s/50s vintage, or even older. He has always called a pipe wrench a "Stilson" wrench, and he has a couple of Stilson/Walworth marked pipe wrenches. Apparently, in his day, guys referred to pipe wrenches as a "Stilson" wrench, just as lots of people today refer to certain types of pliers as "Channel" locks, or an adjustable wrench as a "Crescent" wrench.

Back