Snap-on Prices

I generally avoid Blue Point because of what Trav points out.......I don't have any locking extensions & still do it caveman style with some electrical tape.
Though, I do want a 1/2" drive to 3/8" drive long locking extension for bellhousing bolts.

I was getting tired of loosing bolts and sockets down deep holes and engine compartments so I use the locking extensions and made my own magnetic sockets. First I tried the plastic insert one, they suck big time so I made my own, they hold the bolts/nuts very strong, so strong a regular extension will not pull it off the bolt so a locking one is nice to have.

I used the 3/8" dia. x 1/16" and 3/8" dia. x 1/8" for the 10mm in some cheap sockets that have a shallow broach, you don't want the magnet too deep in the socket, it took a little trial and error to find the perfect fits but man are they good.
I got other sizes and stick styles to fit into the end of a small drilled hole of an extension so it fits all the socket sizes. I got the magnets here.
Any questions let me know, I will do my best to answer them.

With Snapon I am paying for the service. I can get a broken tool replaced in 30 minutes any day of the week and have anything my dealer has on his truck in 30 minutes
This exactly. My tools are my livelihood. If something breaks, I need a replacement RFN! Although, stuff like my 1/2” impact I keep a spare. And the rep has replaced thousands of dollars of tools that should not have been warrantied.

If you are breaking tools at a rate that can put a stop to the work I suggest you either get better tools or use the ones that are breaking properly.
I have made a living with my tools for many years and never needed a replacement tool RFN or the job came to a screeching halt that I can remember, when that happens it is usually because of bad or incorrect replacement part.

Not a slam against tool trucks, they are a nice convenience that you pay a premium for but are just that a convenience nothing more or less.
On the other side of that coin I have seen a lot of money spent and debt incurred on those trucks for tools that would normally have not been bought.

People don't want to hear it... but they only complain about Snap-On prices because they want them and don't want to pay.

Today there's so many options for quality tools of all levels. There's still SO tools I'd buy, bend over, because to me their worth it. I won't even mention Blue-Point because you'd only buy them since the truck is already there. Your paying near SO prices for in many cases China/Taiwan made tools... Many years ago certain BP tools, like air ratchets, body hammers, etc... were very good.

Anyway, I'm an equal opportunity tool buyer/user... Snap-On, Proto, Wright, SK, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Gearwrench, Knipex, Wera, PB Swiss, Mayhew, Koken, Nepros, Apex, Sunex, Irega, Bahco, and so on.

Been retired for 21 years and I used to work on Forklifts , the company semis, service vans , assorted Ford pick ups [the company did fleet rentals] and company cars and occasional back hoe ,,that kind of stuff and I found Snap on tools were worth the cost because it was nice having the tool truck come to the shop to replace worn our/broken stuff plus the Snap on tools out lasted and our performed Mac or Craftsman tools.

Last edited:
This exactly. My tools are my livelihood. If something breaks, I need a replacement RFN! Although, stuff like my 1/2” impact I keep a spare. And the rep has replaced thousands of dollars of tools that should not have been warrantied.
exactly, I took the temper out of a 14mm socket changing exhaust manifold studs. The socket got hot enough that the chrome turned blue/black. When it broke I handed it to the snapon dealer expecting to pay for a replacement. He handed me another one and said dont worry about it.

People don't want to hear it... but they only complain about Snap-On prices because they want them and don't want to pay.

Today there's so many options for quality tools of all levels. There's still SO tools I'd buy, bend over, because to me their worth it. I won't even mention Blue-Point because you'd only buy them since the truck is already there. Your paying near SO prices for in many cases China/Taiwan made tools... Many years ago certain BP tools, like air ratchets, body hammers, etc... were very good.

Anyway, I'm an equal opportunity tool buyer/user... Snap-On, Proto, Wright, SK, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Gearwrench, Knipex, Wera, PB Swiss, Mayhew, Koken, Nepros, Apex, Sunex, Irega, Bahco, and so on.
No complaints here, I own them and buy them but on the other hand I am not married to the brand or the truck and never have been.
There are many tools that are as good and arguably even better than Snap on and many Snap on tools are rebranded, IMO it would be a bit extravagance to pay a huge up charge just for the convenience of getting it off the truck, a few bucks sure but we all know that usually not the case.

If the price is fair (not cheap but comparable to other premium tools plus a bit more for the convenience of having it brought to you) then sure its worth it. Its called common sense and getting the most for your hard earned money and my kids liked eating as much as the tool truck guys did.

I have told this story before but this thread is fitting. I am not a Snap On fan boy but this happened.
I used to repair big diesel generators. I was going to a hospital to change the precombustion chamber seals in four 8 cylinder Cats. They go in at 250 lb ft but after many heat/cool cycles, it takes considerably more to get em out. I had two guys with me. One had all Craftsman tools, the other, S-K. We started working and the Craftsman guy said I have mine. His 1 1/8 socket broke on the first or second one. The S-K guy got his socket. It did three and broke. We finished the remainder of them with my socket that I still have to this day. No idea how many others its done. On the way home, they both said our tools have lifetime warranty too so no big deal. I said you're both failing to realize if I didn't have my Snap On set we wouldn't have been able to complete the job today. That would have been three guys traveling fifty miles each direction, for nothing.
I get it that the tools are expensive but I also feel that it has a time and a place.

picture.png

If you are breaking tools at a rate that can put a stop to the work I suggest you either get better tools or use the ones that are breaking properly.
I have made a living with my tools for many years and never needed a replacement tool RFN or the job came to a screeching halt that I can remember, when that happens it is usually because of bad or incorrect replacement part.

Not a slam against tool trucks, they are a nice convenience that you pay a premium for but are just that a convenience nothing more or less.
On the other side of that coin I have seen a lot of money spent and debt incurred on those trucks for tools that would normally have not been bought.

Working on Big forklifts and semis I have broken lots of sockets worn out even more. I have even broken a breaker bar with a 6 foot pipe trying to break lose a pinion put on a differential. Breakage depends in what you are working on.

Reactions: JC1
I have told this story before but this thread is fitting. I am not a Snap On fan boy but this happened.
I used to repair big diesel generators. I was going to a hospital to change the precombustion chamber seals in four 8 cylinder Cats. They go in at 250 lb ft but after many heat/cool cycles, it takes considerably more to get em out. I had two guys with me. One had all Craftsman tools, the other, S-K. We started working and the Craftsman guy said I have mine. His 1 1/8 socket broke on the first or second one. The S-K guy got his socket. It did three and broke. We finished the remainder of them with my socket that I still have to this day. No idea how many others its done. On the way home, they both said our tools have lifetime warranty too so no big deal. I said you're both failing to realize if I didn't have my Snap On set we wouldn't have been able to complete the job today. That would have been three guys traveling fifty miles each direction, for nothing.
I get it that the tools are expensive but I also feel that it has a time and a place.
You bring up a good point, time is money. I've worked on jobs with other painters over the years, and wondered why they used cheap brushes and rollers. Till this day I still scratch my head. Aside from the quality of finish, which only a real stickler could see, a better bush makes me work faster, especially when it comes time to cut in. Trying to explain to someone who wears blinders that at the end of the day my brush paid for itself, and at the end of the week it might have put another $100 in my pocket. Depending on how much brush work I had that week. Many times paying for quality can pay a dividend.

Having said that there are tools like Hazet and Stahlwille that are as good or better than SO [imo] often costing less. But getting them warrantied might take longer. I've never run into a situation in my professional painting career where I couldn't finish a job because a tool failed. There's always some kind of backup in the van.

Working on Big forklifts and semis I have broken lots of sockets worn out even more. I have even broken a breaker bar with a 6 foot pipe trying to break lose a pinion put on a differential. Breakage depends in what you are working on.

No offense but if you would have used the right tool for the job it wouldn't have broken, just sayin big job = big tools. You can put a 6ft extension pipe on this one all day, go up a size and 10 ft is possible.
I have a friend who works as a mechanic for a cement company, he works on big cement mixers, big dozers, earth movers, all sorts of heavy equipment. I don't even own tools the sizes he uses daily I have no need of them but yes if he were to use my tools there would be a lot of breakage.

I have broken a few tools some consciously, sometimes to save a couple of hours by not removing some rotted parts I am willing to risk using a tool I know full well might break.

HZ1116__79549.1490306818.jpg

I have one of those. When I am out on a job site I do what is needed to get the job done. Time and reputation is important,,, get the job done properly and efficiently and no come backs..

Back