Snap-on Prices

The prices are insane

However the guy comes by our shop pretty much either once every two weeks, or quicker when we call him if something breaks. Some of our guys have warrantied like 100 small bits like T15's and what not (seriously). So they're like $15 each but then you can replace it 100 times lol... So I guess it's not so bad.

For wrenches and stuff I guess they fit better sure but you're not going to break wrenches without doing ridiculous things, so it's hard to justify the price.

On the other hand it looks like you could buy 4-5 of another brand and keep it on hand as a spare for those occurrences.
sure could but thats not practical. Some of the most common sizes I have duplicates of so I dont have to stop what I am doing. Time is money. There are also times when a sharp, new Snapon socket is the difference between getting a bolt out and rounding off the head

With Snapon I am paying for the service. I can get a broken tool replaced in 30 minutes any day of the week and have anything my dealer has on his truck in 30 minutes
I understand that argument, I have been in the business almost 50 years but in cases with such dramatic price differences IMO it is not applicable or acceptable to anyone with IQ over 50 (nothing personal to anyone here), cripes you could buy 10 Williams ones as spares and frig the So guy. For a 30% up charge I can buy the argument but there is a point you break the Camels back.

Edit: The Williams USA made sockets are Snap on. Funny thing is In Germany tools trucks are not common yet no one misses them, may be the tools are just that much better. JK LOL

I understand that argument, I have been in the business almost 50 years but in cases with such dramatic price differences IMO it is not applicable or acceptable to anyone with IQ over 50 (nothing personal to anyone here), cripes you could buy 10 Williams ones as spares and frig the So guy. For a 30% up charge I can buy the argument but there is a point you break the Camels back.

Edit: The Williams USA made sockets are Snap on. Funny thing is In Germany tools trucks are not common yet no one misses them, may be the tools are just that much better. JK LOL
those williams sockets arent the same as a snapon socket and they arent the same as the 30-40 year old williams sockets my Dad still uses.

What is the difference between the USA made Williams and the Snap on other than slight cosmetics like knurling on the sockets? A lot of people have researched this and would disagree.
In a how its made show they showed the Snap on line but a glimpse of a socket that had Williams on it was shown also coming off the same line.

Edit: There are dozens of threads and videos about this. One example. The real difference is no truck markup, I have both and cant tell any difference in the performance.

Williams vs Snap on screwdriver.

Last edited:
If Snap On is buying machined pieces from their supplier in Taiwan, performing a knurling operation, then claiming "made in USA", they need to be careful. To claim it's "made" here, they could buy blanks and perform ALL of the machining operations and probably get away with it. Key is that the majority of the cost operations have to be done in the US to make the claim. I don't recall the specifics right now though...

I thought these looked pretty similar to my Gearwrench locking extensions but I see enough differences that they're likely not the same. Could be made by the same company with minor machining operations (mostly cosmetic too).
if you look at the prices charged, it's expensive knurling....

A
those williams sockets arent the same as a snapon socket and they arent the same as the 30-40 year old williams sockets my Dad still uses.
They are, actually.

In ordering Williams socket sets, I actually have a couple 1/4” drive sockets that say “Snap On”. Guess they ran out of the 11/32” (Or whatever) in Williams and just threw a Snap On on the rack I got.

Performance wise, they’re identical. Flank drive. Forged. Nice chrome finish. Work great.

I have a ton of Snap on tools but I bought most of them thirty years ago.
Once, my truck got broken into and they got my service box. Run of the mill two drawer steel box full of snap on tools. My brother and I got on the tool truck and replaced everything in it to the letter. Truck guy totals it up and says 5500 dollars. I went WHAAAT? I picked up the 3/8 to 1” combination wrench set and said how much is this? His reply was 414.10. That number has remained in my brain since that day. I’m sure they’re more now.
Yep! The combination wrench set is more now. Definitely out of reach for the DIY types!

Screenshot_20210218-175418_Chrome.jpg

Not to be difficult but I look at from what I get paid. Now a mechanic or plumber charges more than my doctor for his/her office visit time. So if someone comes in across from your shops and charges $6/ hr shop time, how do you feel about that? Everyone goes to them, not you, and people question why you charge so much/hr. when that guy over there charges $6?
Snap on, Wright, and SK use USA made steel too, those steel workers make money they can live on.
It’s a complicated issue, because everyone loves a bargain, including me.

Last edited:
I don't know what they have going on there. That's a jewelry box or a watch box. I have a red one. I've had it so long I don't remember what I paid for it if anything. I may have harassed the Snap on man to include it in some deal because I would almost never pay for the promotional stuff.
It even has little drawer liners in it.

I don't know what they have going on there. That's a jewelry box or a watch box. I have a red one. I've had it so long I don't remember what I paid for it if anything. I may have harassed the Snap on man to include it in some deal because I would almost never pay for the promotional stuff.
It even has little drawer liners in it.
Actually, it's chess pieces as only SO can do. Elsewhere in the Goodwill auction is the matching chess board.

Back