Snap-on BOGO

Always wanted a long set of ball allen sockets, But couldn't justify $400+ for the SAE & Metric sets. They had them on BOGO & my dealer informed me it ends today......So I threw down the cash.

I did have 2 of them already.....A 8mm & a 6mm, Those will go into the box at home, Along with the VIM set to the left of the 2 ball allens. I'm NOT impressed with the VIM's as they are pretty soft!

LSPAkRw.jpg

WVGHpRH.jpg

l3LRnC9.jpg

The "best" tools are meaningless if they don't fit the job. The omission of 4.5 and 5.5 mm are especially egregious. Something like this makes more sense:

Much better coverage of sizes. I, for one use the 4.5 A LOT!

No, they aren't ball type, but the beveled shouldered design is very good and less prone to rounding.

Snob appeal gets trumped by practicality at a bargain price.

Always wanted a long set of ball allen sockets, But couldn't justify $400+ for the SAE & Metric sets. They had them on BOGO & my dealer informed me it ends today......So I threw down the cash.

I did have 2 of them already.....A 8mm & a 6mm, Those will go into the box at home, Along with the VIM set to the left of the 2 ball allens. I'm NOT impressed with the VIM's as they are pretty soft!

LSPAkRw.jpg

WVGHpRH.jpg

l3LRnC9.jpg
Good buy on those tools. It looks like they got away from the roll pins on the bit sockets? I had Snap on years ago and never broke a bit itself but the roll pin on some of the short ones multiple times.

Most of my old USA made Kobalt allen sockets have had the bits replaced with Snap On ones by now. Lowes would offer me one of their new Taiwan made ones so I just kept them and paid the $7 or whatever it was for a Snap On gold bit and put it in the socket housing. The Snap On bits were certainly more durable than the Kobalt and better warranty as well. For the pro using them daily the Snap On are certainly worth the money. It has nothing to do with being a tool snob.

It takes a lot to get the extra quality and it's easy to cut quality short to sell cheap. I wonder what snap on does to their steel, case harden? Usually for my use on smaller things than cars I am using the small sizes, which get rounded off pretty easily. Never had much problem with large sizes. I just ordered today a small 22 piece set of Bondhus allen keys, they claim a lot about their special steel, and are made in USA. $12 through Zoro as an add on to get free shipping.

The "best" tools are meaningless if they don't fit the job. The omission of 4.5 and 5.5 mm are especially egregious. Something like this makes more sense:

No, they aren't ball type, but the beveled shouldered design is very good and less prone to rounding.

What do you use 4.5 and 5.5 allen on? In 18 years I cant say I have needed one. 5/32 is very close to 4.5mm and 7/32 is very close to 5.5mm

It takes a lot to get the extra quality and it's easy to cut quality short to sell cheap. I wonder what snap on does to their steel, case harden? Usually for my use on smaller things than cars I am using the small sizes, which get rounded off pretty easily. Never had much problem with large sizes. I just ordered today a small 22 piece set of Bondhus allen keys, they claim a lot about their special steel, and are made in USA. $12 through Zoro as an add on to get free shipping.

I like Bondhus, The majority of my allen keys are Bondhus.

Don't know what you're working on, But I can't recall ever needing a 4.5 or 5.5mm allen

What do you use 4.5 and 5.5 allen on? In 18 years I cant say I have needed one. 5/32 is very close to 4.5mm and 7/32 is very close to 5.5mm

Check your math. 5/32 is close to 4mm, not 4.5. But on the smaller sizes especially, close is not good enough. You either bugger up the fastener or the tool. The 4.5 is common on all types of woodworking and metal working tools - saws, planers, drill presses, mills, lathes, etc. Pulleys, sheaves, gears, knives, arbors, trunnions, etc. Also some OPE.

Shameless thread hijack:

Any woodworking tool using an old fashion belt, upgrade to a link belt. Significant improvement not only in noise and vibration, but truer cuts, more accurate drilling, less runout, better finish.

Last edited:
I needed a set of the long allen sockets. The Tekton set fit the bill nicely for me. For professional use Snap On for the win.

Check your math. 5/32 is close to 4mm, not 4.5. But on the smaller sizes especially, close is not good enough. You either bugger up the fastener or the tool. The 4.5 is common on all types of woodworking and metal working tools - saws, planers, drill presses, mills, lathes, etc. Pulleys, sheaves, gears, knives, arbors, trunnions, etc. Also some OPE.

Shameless thread hijack:

Any woodworking tool using an old fashion belt, upgrade to a link belt. Significant improvement not only in noise and vibration, but truer cuts, more accurate drilling, less runout, better finish.

The 7/32 is within .002 in of 5.5mm though. Are your machines Chinese or European? They use metric. Older American machines like lathes are built to both inches and metric. Levin lathes are 50mm center height and use Inch fasteners. Derbyshire are 75mm and the D collets are 10mm but the fasteners are inches. The .050 set screws are the ones I bugger up sometimes. Once an Allen key is rounded the case quickly becomes hopeless.

For American made Snap On that is actually a pretty good price there on the two for one. Wright which is always less wants 135 each I think. But Wright has no truck guy.

So let me understand this. Without BOGO, one set of 6 would cost 400 bucks? So, that is 66.66 ea? Sixty six dollars per allen, right? Really?

So let me understand this. Without BOGO, one set of 6 would cost 400 bucks? So, that is 66.66 ea? Sixty six dollars per allen, right? Really?

No $200 or 16.60ea for the whole set of 12. Stahlwille long ball ends are about $37ea in the USA and about 15-20 Euro in Germany so it is right inline with other tools of like quality.

The 4.5 is common on all types of woodworking and metal working tools - saws, planers, drill presses, mills, lathes, etc. Pulleys, sheaves, gears, knives, arbors, trunnions, etc. Also some OPE.

Snap-on makes tools for automotive/truck mechanics. Some of their tools are light years ahead......Like Domestic power steering pump pulley service tools, Transmission snap ring pliers, Blind bushing tools. Pullers, U-joint service tools.
I'll be honest & say OTC can make some of these tools for a fair price & be almost as good. My U-joint service tools are OTC. And have some New Britain & OTC trans snap ring pliers.

I don't judge people by the tools they use....Long as the job gets done & gets done right!

A person could always correct the lack of a 4.5 or 5.5 by buying a single one somewhere for not a lot of money, problem solved if it is an issue.. I am more interested in the steel most say S2 steel, but some claim theirs is better. I guess it is the care and method of hardening and tempering the steel that makes a difference.

Back