Smoothest Riding New Car?

My w123 had honest-to-god springs in the seats that had a few inches of travel. If you look at 18 wheelers they still have the cushy seat. This has passed nearly everyone else by.

Maybe there's a conversion van out there with air-ride shocks and a spring-mounted seat.

Even these (like the Suburban) seem tuned more to performance than in the past... the steering and handling are more precise, with more feedback and road feel than the land barge I am looking for... the market apparently has passed me by...
Yeah, that ship (boat) has sailed. Nose dive while braking, excessive body roll, these are considered safety hazards and hence have been eliminated. :)

The problem with those old land yachts is that they bob around.

Yes, this car has worn shocks in the video, but those old cars still bobbed around.

You say "problem", I say "feature"... but lets bring this into the 90's... the 70's cars were objectively terrible...
A modern car with a ride like a '92 Brougham would be fine...
1991-cadillac-fleetwood-brougham-delegance-interior.jpg

Copy & Paste: Ride comfort

The Legacy’s ride is superb. It mops up just about any pavement flaw with ease, feeling as plush as a luxury car. We marveled at the Legacy’s ability to filter out bumps, control side-to-side body motions, and keep passengers virtually unaware of all but the most egregious road imperfections. The Legacy is not only the most comfortable riding midsized sedan, but it eclipses expensive luxury cars such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Lexus LS.

Copy & Paste: Ride comfort

The Legacy’s ride is superb. It mops up just about any pavement flaw with ease, feeling as plush as a luxury car. We marveled at the Legacy’s ability to filter out bumps, control side-to-side body motions, and keep passengers virtually unaware of all but the most egregious road imperfections. The Legacy is not only the most comfortable riding midsized sedan, but it eclipses expensive luxury cars such as the Mercedes-Benz E-Class and Lexus LS.
Worth checking out... thanks!

The F-150 Raptors ride REALLY nice thanks to the Fox shocks.
That's where I was going to go...if you want body-on-frame feel, you'll need to get a body-on-frame vehicle. A softly sprung full sized truck could be what you're looking for, ride-wise. I know both the '13 F150s I had rode really nicely on the highway. The Toyota 4Runner also rides nicely on the highway. None of these vehicles can 'match' the cushy boat feel of a big 70s car, but they might be the closest available.

Test drives are in your future...

I can't see the Subaru being refined enough. I just drove several Outback's but not the Legacy...i did read this article prior to it being posted. Riding in them gave me the thrill of being back on the farm...Agricultural if you get the drift...lol
I don't believe it but it has me intrigued enough to go see for myself.
I will say it would have to be a limited + as cheapness abounds even in the premium models.

Not to hijack the thread but this reminded me of something.

I was selling Chrysler/Plymouths in the mid '70's.
A customer was looking at a 1976 Chrysler New Yorker and asked the salesman how it rode on the highway.
The salesman said "Sir those are not tires on this car they are 4 marshmallow walkers"
If nothing else the '76 New Yorker did float down the road.

Back