Smoothest, quietest ride for my ELantra?

Copy and paste from an unbiased test on a 2017 Elantra:

But driving the Elantra is an ordinary affair rather than an enjoyable experience. Handling remains sound and secure, but this Hyundai won't challenge the sportiest among the compact car bunch, such as the Ford Focus, Mazda3, and Volkswagen Jetta. An Elantra Sport version adds more power and has a different, upgraded rear suspension.

At first blush, the ride is agreeable but when challenged on sharp bumps, it loses some of its resilience and composure. The Elantra's refinement takes a further hit from the boisterous engine and noticeable road noise.

Hyundai has built a reputation on providing value. But while the base SE automatic starts at $18,985, it's missing some crucial equipment, like a backup camera and Bluetooth. Even so, adding those via the Popular Equipment package still keeps the price tag at a competitive $19,785. The standard cloth seats are only so-so, but the top Limited trim provides leather and power seats that improve support.

As expected from a newly-introduced car, advanced safety equipment is added to the options list. Blind-spot detection is available on the mainstream SE version, and it comes standard on Eco and Limited trims. But it's too bad that forward-collision warning with automatic braking and pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning with lane assist, and adaptive cruise control are available only on top-level cars like a Limited with the Ultimate package, bringing the price to a hefty $27,585. These important safety features should be available at lower price points, if not standard.

Overall, the Elantra is a modest step ahead. In terms of room, user-friendliness, frugal fuel consumption, and value the new Elantra is a resounding success. But we wish it was quieter and more comfortable riding.
I own the SE Value Edition, with 16" tires, which are smoother and quieter than 17" tires.

Hi,

What premium touring tire would be the absolute smoothest and quietest riding with the longest tread life for my 2017 Hyundai ELantra Value Edition? My tire size is 205/55/16 H rated.
I am a conservative driver.

Please list 2-3 of the top choices. I would especially like to hear from 2017-2019 Elantra owners who have upgraded from their OEM tires!

Thanks
Michael in NJ
Change vehicle. That might resolve your noise issue.

Compared to what?

It's all relative.
A crv? I suppose on very nice new paved 55 roads, almost anything is pretty quiet. Even my Focus is fine for that, no yelling required.
If you’re driving on grooved old cupped concrete slabs at 80mph then the car sound deadening is a bigger deal.

No thanks! My 2017 Elantra has been flawless for 60K and I consistently get 34-35MPG!
OK, what does that have to do with noise? It gets that mpg bcs. sound insulation is non-existant.
Which tires did you get two years ago when you asked for the first time?
But I will play this game, get Michelin, any Michelin.

OK, what does that have to do with noise? It gets that mpg bcs. sound insulation is non-existant.
Which tires did you get two years ago when you asked for the first time?
But I will play this game, get Michelin, any Michelin.
Again, to me, my Elantra is NOT loud. I never got the tires. At 60K ,still OEM Kumho's.

We’ve got 2 sets of those Bridgestone quiettracks in the family. They seem good. They are quieter in the noisy civic that the previous potenza re980AS, which were a surprisingly quiet tire. I think that’s a good recommendation.

we have 2 sets of Michelin crossclimate2 tires; the Bridgestones are quieter, though very similar in sound profile.

You need to elaborate if you need them for snow also. Then it's compromise. Michelin and Continental both make tires that rate well for noise depending on the model. Watch the video reviews on tire rack for what is available in that size. Look for the quiet comments. Understand the winter compromise.

My Pirelli P7 AS2 are not available any longer in that size. They are the quietest I ever used for my not very quiet Honda Accord. I don't use them for snow so not a concern.

Continental ProContact

I missed the request two tears ago. Continued success with the Elantra.

My choice for a smooth & quiet tires(and I believe the TR & CR ratings are similar)

Bridgestone TURANZA QuieTrack
Continental True Contact TOUR
Good/Year Comfort Drive
Michelin Primacy MXV4
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS

The General Altimax RT43 are reasonably quiet for their price(and a good tire) but not what you're looking for as-far-as QUIET. They're decent but audible in certain circumstances.

All tyres are, I can often not hear the difference between an ICE and EV when I get passed by either walking down the street. EV motorcycles and scooters make a difference though

Back