Smoothest, quietest ride for my ELantra?

Hi,

What premium touring tire would be the absolute smoothest and quietest riding with the longest tread life for my 2017 Hyundai ELantra Value Edition? My tire size is 205/55/16 H rated.
I am a conservative driver.

Please list 2-3 of the top choices. I would especially like to hear from 2017-2019 Elantra owners who have upgraded from their OEM tires!

Thanks
Michael in NJ

I have this exact tire and size on my Saab so these are my top three suggestions

altimax.jpgaltimax.jpgaltimax.jpg

Anyone who suggest the now discontinued General RT43 is easily pleased.

Unfortunately, that generation Elantra is a loud car at highway speeds regardless of the tire.

There are people that think they can have it all in one tire. NOT HAPPENING. Your not going to have a great tire on the snow that is whisper quiet at 65 MPH on dry pavement.

I just put some Toyo Extensa's on my Buick and quiet and smooth are words I would use, these also don't follow the groves like my old Tiger Paws, they were easily swayed by groves such as when they cut down concrete to make it smoother.

I did not buy this tire for snow traction since I don't drive the Buick in snow, if I did I would have went with the Toyo Celsius with it's better siping.

I liked the Cooper Grand Touring I put on my old 99 LeSabre but that tire been around for a while, I don't think it's worth the price they are asking for an older tire.

Anyone who suggest the now discontinued General RT43 is easily pleased.

Unfortunately, that generation Elantra is a loud car at highway speeds regardless of the tire.

There are people that think they can have it all in one tire. NOT HAPPENING. Your not going to have a great tire on the snow that is whisper quiet at 65 MPH on dry pavement.

I dont think my 2017 Elantra is loud at all at highway speeds.

Copy and paste from an unbiased test on a 2017 Elantra:

But driving the Elantra is an ordinary affair rather than an enjoyable experience. Handling remains sound and secure, but this Hyundai won't challenge the sportiest among the compact car bunch, such as the Ford Focus, Mazda3, and Volkswagen Jetta. An Elantra Sport version adds more power and has a different, upgraded rear suspension.

At first blush, the ride is agreeable but when challenged on sharp bumps, it loses some of its resilience and composure. The Elantra's refinement takes a further hit from the boisterous engine and noticeable road noise.

Hyundai has built a reputation on providing value. But while the base SE automatic starts at $18,985, it's missing some crucial equipment, like a backup camera and Bluetooth. Even so, adding those via the Popular Equipment package still keeps the price tag at a competitive $19,785. The standard cloth seats are only so-so, but the top Limited trim provides leather and power seats that improve support.

As expected from a newly-introduced car, advanced safety equipment is added to the options list. Blind-spot detection is available on the mainstream SE version, and it comes standard on Eco and Limited trims. But it's too bad that forward-collision warning with automatic braking and pedestrian detection, lane-departure warning with lane assist, and adaptive cruise control are available only on top-level cars like a Limited with the Ultimate package, bringing the price to a hefty $27,585. These important safety features should be available at lower price points, if not standard.

Overall, the Elantra is a modest step ahead. In terms of room, user-friendliness, frugal fuel consumption, and value the new Elantra is a resounding success. But we wish it was quieter and more comfortable riding.

I dont think my 2017 Elantra is loud at all at highway speeds.
Do some research on Tire Rack to see what tires might fit your preferences. At 4 bucks a gallon, you might want to take the fuel economy of the tire into account.

What are they comparing it to?
I dont think its noticeably louder than anything else similar.
also most of the complaining was solved by 2020 model year with the "value edition"

Has almost everything the limited does and 22000 sticker (paid 15500 in fall 2019)

Its not a $30000 car.. but it didnt cost $30000

I run general as-05's on the 2020 wife watched too much fast and furious 😉 to be happy with the stockers.
Has 2 dented wheels too but no noticeable wobble so they can keep getting dented on our lovely NE ohio roads.

Back