Smoking a thanksgiving Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody done a smoked turkey, I just got a gas smoker, and I'm thinking of doing a turkey, probably a small not frozen type.

Maybe a fresh 12lb turkey, any idea how much time and would it be too dry?

I do it every year. I agree with brining as it infuses the meat with extra water before you start cooking - keeping it moist.

I use a Big Green Egg, natural charcoal and lots of mesquite. Put it on hot to sear the outside, then adjust the heat down for a slow smoke. If I recall correctly, it takes a little under 4 hours for a turkey that size. With a cooker like that, no basting is necessary.
I've also noticed if I cook it to the recommended poultry internal temperatures, it comes out overdone and dry. I've calibrated my meat thermometers, so that isn't it. I suspect companies that recommend specific temps are a good 10-15 degrees too conservative. My theory is that nobody has been sued over an overcooked bird, but they may have if all the internal wee beasties haven't been killed.

Thanks Pablo, I already looked it up prior to posting.
I just wanted some first hand accounts on smoking it.

I agree brining sounds like a key to moist turkey.
I have a Cajun spice injector that I use for making drunken chicken, this mite work well on a turkey for smoking purposes.

I wanted to fry one but its a lot of trouble and oil for just one bird.

Originally Posted By: Fester
Smoking a thanksgiving Turkey

thIs Topic belOngs IN the fOOd ForuM

It's not Thanksgiving without a smoked turkey, or at least a couple of smoked turkey breasts.

Brine overnight. I use a pound or so of kosher salt, 2 pounds of honey, 2 quarts of chicken broth, and a gallon of warm water.

Mix up the brine in a cooler or something large enough to hold the turkey, but small enough to fit in a fridge (or outside if it's cold). Add the turkey, and enough cold water and ice to cover (to counteract the warm water). Keep chilled.

Remove the turkey after about 10-12 hours, coat with your favorite rub, and let it rest while the smoker heats.

Once your smoker heats, add the turkey. If you've not purchased the chips yet, cherry is, in my opinion, the best for a turkey.

Make sure the turkey is at full temperature before FTC'ing (wrap in Foil, then in a Towel, and place in a Cooler). Let it FTC for a couple hours before serving (it will continue to gently cook and get very moist.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back