Smog check exemptions

Yep.

For a while I would shop pre-ODBII cars, to avoid emissions. Then it was pre-99 to avoid title issues... now it's '03 and older to avoid emissions. Nice little perk for the older vehicles, of sorts.
Easy to manipulate emission testing(diesel engine). The green ones did help with that in my country with the HVO diesel. And its even legal 😎.A Gasoline car that doesn't pass the smog test you can remove the air filter before the test. It will help you. Just make sure you clean the air box before you remove the air filter.

No smog or safety checks in eastern WA State, western WA might be a different story. You can drive your beater forever (if you're into that) no rust in this area either. I regularly see 30+ old cars driving around as daily drivers.

In PA, safety inspections include brake lining thickness (two wheels pulled if I recall correctly), head light operation, turn signals operating properly, backup lights operating properly, horn operation, tread thickness on tires, exhaust system integrity, no holes in the floor of the vehicle. There may be other things they check and perhaps another Pennsylvanian wants to chime in on that. These inspections are required once a year. Some years back, they were required TWICE a year. That was a pain!

I imagine they could fail you for having too dark a window tint or wheels that stick too far out past the fenders.

In PA, safety inspections include brake lining thickness (two wheels pulled if I recall correctly), head light operation, turn signals operating properly, backup lights operating properly, horn operation, tread thickness on tires, exhaust system integrity, no holes in the floor of the vehicle. There may be other things they check and perhaps another Pennsylvanian wants to chime in on that. These inspections are required once a year. Some years back, they were required TWICE a year. That was a pain!

I imagine they could fail you for having too dark a window tint or wheels that stick too far out past the fenders.
I think federally the wheels can't stick out past the fender. The Current Audi RS3 almost wasn't certified in the USA due to this. A couple of engineers read the rules very carefully and found that adding a plastic "tab" or guard is considered "part of the car body" and voila all legal.

no rust checks i assume?

Virginia is anything older than 25 model years, whether or not it's registered as an antique, doesn't need emissions.
Northern Virginia. Most of the state doesn’t have emissions inspection. All of the state has safety inspection.

Years ago, PA had an inspection rule that no rust hole could exist that a mechanic could put his finger through. That was dropped. I do not know what they would do it you turned up with an entire fender missing from rust!!!

Richmond would have had emissions inspections, except for some political dealings in the early 1980s.
95 counties and 38 independent cities in Virginia.

4 counties and 4 cities require emission inspection.

So, most of the state doesn’t require it. Adding Richmond doesn’t make much difference.

It'd make a lot of difference to the people who live there, who didn't want the expense or inconvenience of it.
Agreed - look, the point I am trying to make is this: you said “Virginia is…” when the reality is, that in most of Virginia there is no emissions inspection.

Your blanket post here, does not apply to “Virginia” - just to a few cities and counties in Northern Virginia.
Virginia is anything older than 25 model years, whether or not it's registered as an antique, doesn't need emissions.

This popped up in my YouTube recommended videos feed a couple weeks ago. No idea why, but sure is relevant to your post! The old cars crack me up.

Agreed - look, the point I am trying to make is this: you said “Virginia is…” when the reality is, that in most of Virginia there is no emissions inspection.

Your blanket post here, does not apply to “Virginia” - just to a few cities and counties in Northern Virginia.

Ok, sure. Most states with emissions inspection programs don't have them statewide. I thought this was common knowledge. therefore I didn't see a need to specify the counties and cities in Virginia that have it. Should someone want to know more details, they have access to the same Google I do.

That being said, the "Required Official Inspection Procedure" for the Virginia Safety Inspection states:

INSPECT AIR POLLUTION CONTROL SYSTEMS OF 1973 ANDSUBSEQUENT MODELS FOR: Installation. No parts removed, disconnected, or rendered inoperable.(Note: This includes the catalytic converter and the fuel tank fillerpipe.)

So it's not quite true that there is "no emissions inspection" in most of Virginia. It's part of the safety inspection, although just a visual inspection, whereas the parts of Virginia with a separate emissions inspection have a tailpipe or OBD-II test.

Last edited:
Pa. only exempts 1974 and older vehicles from emissions inspections. Likely one of the only ones that Draconian. Even in the few no official emissions inspection counties, a visual inspection is supposed to be performed on 5 systems as part of the regular 67 county annual safety inspection.

Back