Smog check exemptions

Talkin to a lovely couple from NY, they had this really well maintained 98 forest green camry. They mentioned they dont want to switch over to Fl plates since they love their plate numbers and the car is exempt from smog testing since its 25 years old.

Is this for select states, where vehicles above a set model year are exempt from smog checks?

Believe that's the same in PA. But as far as FL v NY goes, likely the registration fee is larger than in NY, a reason to keep NY tags.

I've never quite understood the insurance aspect, where folks pick and choose where it's cheapest (supercars are routinely registered in MT). I mean I do it for E-ZPass but that's fully supported by the toll authorities (get a NY tag in PA, NY is fine with it). Knew of a coworker who registered his vehicle in NJ when he lived in Brooklyn. When the vehicle was a loss, not only was he not covered, but he got some threatening language thrown at him as well. I do suspect there are other considerations with snow birds.

When you say don't want to swtich over I'm assuming they divide their time in both states, not that they've moved and rather register in NY. my .02 ymmv

I new Jersey, I believe the exemption year is 1995. All they do on every other car, is to plug their machine into a computer and see f there are any emission related faults. If all's good, they slap a sticker good for 2 years on it. Motorcycles have no inspection requirements.,,

as far as I know in Pa you can get a milage exemption also many pa counties have no emission testing.

IIRC there is no smog check in Florida, but the cost of auto insurance is higher than L.I. NY, as well as the registration fees, at least when I checked a few months ago. I was shocked in fact.

as far as I know in Pa you can get a milage exemption also many pa counties have no emission testing.
The interesting thing is it can cost more than for a full inspection (PA has so many things that make no sense). Because nobody drives into a garage and pays $98 for an inspection, they clip a $29.99 coupon that is $44 out the door. And that includes an emissions inspection. Often to do the exempt one, that coupon doesn't apply and it would be around $65 total for the exemption. So other than having a car that can't pass, most people go for the lower cost.

NUTS (this happens in auto parts too--sometimes it's cheaper to buy an assy, remove the needed part, and throw away the unneeded parts, rather than to buy said part individually--a Lexus idler comes to mind but there are many others)!!

The county I live in in PA is exempt from emission testing because of its lower population. Saves me about $65 a year.
What does a safety inspection run you? Around here, we all clip a $29.99 coupon, for safety and emissions. The other trick is some dealers have coupons free safety with paid emissions. Any way you slice it, price is same, mid $40's. A few years ago, it would be $38 out the door. But, there are even more fees hidden today, and the same $29.99 coupon means about $44. The BMW dealer is the exception, been able to get out with $42, but now the town added a car wash fee of $1 (can't make this up).

Talkin to a lovely couple from NY, they had this really well maintained 98 forest green camry. They mentioned they dont want to switch over to Fl plates since they love their plate numbers and the car is exempt from smog testing since its 25 years old.

Is this for select states, where vehicles above a set model year are exempt from smog checks?
In Colorado there is a catch to getting "classic " plates. It has to be 25 years old or older and it has to have a one time emissions test. However like the Federal show and display exemption on exotic cars there is a 3,000 mile per year limit.

NH has safety for all years but odbii check is for 20 (19?) years old and newer. However ABS light has to be off, as that's considered a braking problem (don't care about airbags or TPMS lights, although YMMV with dealerships on any of this).

Massachusetts has a rolling 15 year emisisons exception. Everything needs a safety.

Maine does a safety on everything except antique-plated vehicles. Cumberland County gets emissions. 1973-95 get a gas cap test, never seen done. 96-99 get emissions, with two free "strikes" for incomplete I/M monitors. 2000+ get one free strike. It's all on the mechanic's word that everything's kosher, there are no computers involved! Price is capped by the state "too low for honest work", $12.50-18.50.

NH has safety for all years but odbii check is for 20 (19?) years old and newer. However ABS light has to be off, as that's considered a braking problem (don't care about airbags or TPMS lights, although YMMV with dealerships on any of this).
Didn't know about the age exemption for OBDII.
Found that out this year when I had my '02 Camry inspected. I was under the impression that was still all OBDll cars

Didn't know about the age exemption for OBDII.
Found that out this year when I had my '02 Camry inspected. I was under the impression that was still all OBDll cars
Yep.

For a while I would shop pre-ODBII cars, to avoid emissions. Then it was pre-99 to avoid title issues... now it's '03 and older to avoid emissions. Nice little perk for the older vehicles, of sorts.

Back