'Smart meters'?

Here is my smart meter story. Few months back I noticed some wonkiness with the electricity in the house. Intermittent light dimming once in awhile, nothing huge. I was out front working on the car when the AEP truck pulls up. He said he needed to ck my meter out because it had reported intermittent electrical outages for my address. He checked it and traced it to a bad transformer bus bar (corrosion) in the alley. No telling how long I would have put up with it without the meter dropping a dime on the problem. Another good thing, in the event of a power outage, AEP knows instantly when and where the power is out.
They use different types of mesh networks to communicate. Both GE and Landis+Gyr use Silver Spring Networks networking equipment and transceivers. There are sometimes complaints because the user is generally paying a little for the electricity to operate the meters and broadcast all this, although I guess it's possible to separate that out - i.e. only check the current going into the house.

The city of Santa Clara, California operates its own electric utility. They Wi-Fi for transmission. The city owned Wi-Fi network is also available for free public internet service. I've tried using it though. Just getting to the OK screen can take forever, it's rather iffy signal, and even when it's working perfectly it's pretty slow. I read somewhere that individual devices are limited to 1 Mbit/sec, although when I ran speed tests I was sometimes getting speeds comparable to dial-up internet.

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the "dangerous EMF" radiated from these. https://educateemf.com/best-smart-meter-shield/
Interesting subject, something I never thought of and just started reading (right now) about.
In the few short minutes I have read, for the heck of it, if the meter was outside a bedroom wall where I sleep or anyplace in the house where we spend time, I would pull off the sheet rock and install a piece of sheet metal on that wall, then ground it =
Problem greatly reduced. (for the time being, I would simply hang a mirror on that wall)

Good news for us, meter is on an outside wall of our garage and it towards the garage doors themselves making it even more far away.
Its no secret I have super great wifi coverage in my house and much of that is due to my line noise filters that I use EXTENSIVELY on every electronic in my home by installing multiple Ferrite Snap on Noise Filters simply to clean up "dirty electricity" no matter what the source of it is.
Now after your post I might consider putting them on all the leads from the circuit breakers themselves besides near the devices.

Now with that said, EMF, well, no one is concerned about the cell phones we use, which is documented time and again, that actually HEAT UP part of our brain from the EMF. Nor do we care about the wifi in our homes and look to install the most powerful units possible.
Lets not forget we stick Bluetooth devices directly into our ears or over our heads! *L* Lets not forget we wear bluetooth devices on our arms (smart watches)
and lets not forget the power lines where people have overhead power lines ... what I am saying, is there is no escape anymore.

But after reading your post it certainly would make sense to me to install a grounded shield behind the drywall of the home if the meter is in a place where you spend time in your home. AS long as we keep in mind everyday, people are on their cell phones, heating up a part of their brain because of radiation from the cell phone and also live in a world where their body is immersed in wifi signals 24 hours a day, plus hundreds of other sources.

Interesting, good post ... and if I had a meter near a living area in my home, I would most likely do the above because of your post

Last edited:
They use different types of mesh networks to communicate. Both GE and Landis+Gyr use Silver Spring Networks networking equipment and transceivers. There are sometimes complaints because the user is generally paying a little for the electricity to operate the meters and broadcast all this, although I guess it's possible to separate that out - i.e. only check the current going into the house.

The city of Santa Clara, California operates its own electric utility. They Wi-Fi for transmission. The city owned Wi-Fi network is also available for free public internet service. I've tried using it though. Just getting to the OK screen can take forever, it's rather iffy signal, and even when it's working perfectly it's pretty slow. I read somewhere that individual devices are limited to 1 Mbit/sec, although when I ran speed tests I was sometimes getting speeds comparable to dial-up internet.

Yep, most “free” stuff are worth every penny

Summary - The consumer is at the
mercy of a computer calculation not
in their control

That summarizes modern life as we know it. It will not go away. It will only get more ubiquitous.

In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and cancer is bad.
However … that news could be censored depending on who posted it.

1018 kwh a day is definitely unusual. Your house will likely catch fire on that. Do you have a by hour plot of what they are from? Software glitch?

Back