"SMART car"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theyre not too bad in and of themselves... its the cellphone weilding SUV drivers passing left and right at 85 MPH in a 65 zone that makes the smart unsafe...

for a dedicated commuter that doesnt hae to go above 50 MPH, hey, why not... Id consider the 4dr version... IFF there is a diesel option...

There is at least one that makes it up and down the hills in St. Thomas... Thats more severe service than anyone here can fathom.

JMH

I'd like to pull up beside a Mustang/Vette/etc. with one of those GSXR Smarts! I always thought it'd be cool to stick a larger sportbike engine in a little car like a Firefly, but that would be even better.

JHZR2,
The 4dr is a diesel too. As far as I know, they only come in diesel.

I was talking to my local Napa guy whom uses a Smart Car for deliveries (200,000km yearly)and he told me they are great to drive but service is a royal PITA.He had to take it to the dealer to change out a headlight bulb...billed two hours shop time!

We see quite a few of them here in the Moncton area too. MB has stated on several occasion they won't export them to the US. No Market for them down south. The only dent in their armour is what was mentioned above, servicing not many places are equipped to work on them yet, parts are available aftermarket through NAPA & others. The boss has considering tradaing in for one next time around.

Heard an interview with an RV dealer in Colorado who is selling the Smart there. Supposedly there are another 3-5 dealers in the US. As I recall, he gave a retail of about $27K for one.
Heard this week that DaimlerChrysler is looking into bringing them in, but no decision made yet.
At 60 mpg for city driving, one would probably only have to drive 30,000 miles a year for 8 years to come out ahead (no, I didn't do the math, just a SWAG). And, not sure I'd be real comfortable on Interstate 95 or the beltway at prevailing speeds.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
Heard an interview with an RV dealer in Colorado who is selling the Smart there. Supposedly there are another 3-5 dealers in the US. As I recall, he gave a retail of about $27K for one.
Heard this week that DaimlerChrysler is looking into bringing them in, but no decision made yet.
At 60 mpg for city driving, one would probably only have to drive 30,000 miles a year for 8 years to come out ahead (no, I didn't do the math, just a SWAG). And, not sure I'd be real comfortable on Interstate 95 or the beltway at prevailing speeds.

That's about what grey market ones are going for in California.
gr_eek2.gif
If MB starts importing them, then we should see them for about what the Canadians are paying, a lot less but still overpriced.

Except for the novelty they don't make much sense in countries the size of Canada and the US with roads and parking spaces scaled for larger cars. You get most of the fuel savings with something like a Honda Fix, Toyota Yaris or other sub sub compacts. You also get a real car with those examples.

I see them in Ottawa all the time. It seems to move alone in traffic just fine, even passed me on highway, so speed doesn't seem to be a problem.

I have a hard time seeing gasoline cars having similar fuel efficiency. Some may get close (like Corolla and Sentra) but are still worse than Smart. Even my Kawi Ninja bike gets 50 mpg mostly highway.

Regarding safety, it may be more or less important depending where and how much you drive. For instance, here in Ottawa drivers are generally less agressive and traffic is less congested than in US cities. Also the majority of cars are smaller Hondas and Mazdas. Hence safety is of less importance. I still meet people who will buy only US made big cars for safety and I had discussions with them. It is hard to convince someone who was broadsided at an intersection. Fair enough. For my part I use mostly back roads with few intersections so I would use a Smart.

In fact I ride bike to work. Safety is based on more than just steel and plastic around you. Even more important is the awarness and driving/riding style. If you keep your eyes on the road and observe other vehicles 99.99% of the time you can steer clear of trouble before something happens. My best defense strategy on the bike is simple. Turn the throttle and get away from trucks, distracted/impatient drivers, etc. or the opposite, slow down and let them pass me.

In any case by the time you are hit it is too late and I'd hate to rely on car's structure to defend me. There is always a bigger stronger vehicle on the road regardless of what you drive.

So I like Smart for me, driving mostly highway and back roads where the batteries and idle/breaking energy conservation stuff is not useful for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back