Small trucks will become America's future classics

The market is a bit euphoric for many vehicles now. I dont think they can go much higher. There will be new supply flooding the market eventually and all this old junk will be priced as it should be. Getting to drive new vehicles for years without losing much value is not normal.

Perhaps Toyota comes out with an even smaller truck than the Tacoma, to pit against the ford maverick. Likely with a hybrid setup and class leading MPG.

The auto parts stores used to have a bunch of the old body rangers and now seems like they try to move parts in like a Versa or something cause the trucks are too big and too much $$$ now.

That reminds me. Older square-body Rangers are still around, obviously not in huge numbers, but the older '80s–early '90s Chevrolet S-10 pickups and S-10 (small) Blazers are relatively scarce now. These Chevys didn't seem to be particularly rust-prone, and they had decent drivetrains. Anyone have any ideas why so few are around?

Blazers at least did tend to rust pretty bad in the rear quarter panels. Plus it's only recently that these started to have any kind of collector value. Clean survivors are getting into the low $10s...

These just aren't the types of vehicles that people really sought to preserve until very recently. Many became a teenager's first car, a winter beater, a Cash for Clunkers trade, etc. Also many racked up a ton of miles and just got used up.

Around here I still see them. Someone here has a really clean teal and gray 2-door Jimmy from about 90-94.

I would consider Ford Ranger as the proper size for a mini truck. There were too many of those for them to be classic, and the mileage is as bad as a full size truck!

The Ranger is out of control now too...
A 2001 that SOLD for $23k. Granted, the price was a "haha funny" because it's a 2.3L with 23k miles, but that is still 23k real dollars that a real buyer spent on a 20 year old I4 2WD Ranger regular cab. The window sticker is in the pics, not even $15 brand new.

I think the future classics will be the old standby's. Corvettes, ZL1 Camaro's, Dodge Hellcats, Ford SVT and Cobra Mustangs etc. People like to buy nice older trucks in good shape for a song and dance. Nothing like buying a window sticker vehicle of $60,000 or more and buying it 12 years later in nice shape for $10,000. That is the way it's always been with trucks.

The Ranger is out of control now too...
A 2001 that SOLD for $23k. Granted, the price was a "haha funny" because it's a 2.3L with 23k miles, but that is still 23k real dollars that a real buyer spent on a 20 year old I4 2WD Ranger regular cab. The window sticker is in the pics, not even $15 brand new.
$14,395 in 2001 inflates to $22,200 today. Lousy investment, not even keeping up with inflation…. :oops:

$14,395 in 2001 inflates to $22,200 today. Lousy investment, not even keeping up with inflation…. :oops:
Yep. Not many bring it up when a classic car sells for a lot compared to its purchase price. Who cares if your $3000 dollar 1970s purchase went for $60k, its far less than if that money was in the market.

On the other hand, that ranger offered somebody a great deal of utility while holding value. Not too bad!

Back