Small gas gas stations that nobody buys fuel at?

My friend told me they only have a water separator at the pump and not actually a filter. I doubt that. I'm sure it's atleast a 30 micron filter.

I always make a point of supporting small business and will generally buy from the smallest station that has the price/fuel I need.
I agree butnim not a fan of buying month old gas just so it can sit in the boat for even longer.

Here usually the cheapest stations also have the highest volume. Which dictates high turnover, which equals fresh gas. I stay away from low volume stations. They're usually too expensive anyway.

I think this is especially important if you drive a Diesel. Water in Diesel fuel can really cause problems. And NOTHING on a Diesel is cheap to fix. I have heard not to fill up if the tanker is there dumping a load, because it stirs up all the crap in the storage tanks. I don't know if that's true or not. It sounds like it could have some merit.
I quit worrying about that. These high volume stations cab have the tanker show up twice a day and how do you know he didn't just drive off 2 minutes before you showed up? I read an article years ago that said the crap in the tank remains suspended for like 8hrs after the truck leaves.

Above-ground tanks ?? Can't say I've ever seen that at a gas station. Have only seen it at the smaller, mom-and-pop fuel "suppliers".

The gas station on the water has them that fills up the boats. They're painted white and there are like 4 of them proably 8ft tall by 20ft long. I asked one time the attendant says if a really big boat needs refueling they will schedule a tanker truck to fill the boat. I don't think that's correct though.

I for sure once noticed after buying premium gas from a small station that doesn't get a lot of traffic that my car ran "weird" , i only put in about half a tank, filled up the rest at another one and it almost immediately ran better.

I broke my rule today and went to a small gas station. Needed to fill up a few gas cacans so I get the caps unscrewed then look at the pump and realize you can't see the numbers. Then I went to another pump that you could see the numbers, but it didn't work either. Omg never again.

Can't get 93 per se around here (not with California RFG). The only way to get anything higher than 91 is to blend with 100+ octane street-legal racing unleaded. I know one independent that has it and they actually do large volume. Whenever they're out of race gas, all the higher octane stuff is blocked off.
Mix some E85 with it and bump it up. Have had great success for years doing this. I would start very small and increase. My Montero hated it and ran poorly. All my Ford's love it especially my 96 that really runs much better with premium fuel.

We live a bit further out of town so we have both types. There are a couple smaller stations I frequent that have been here forever and are on busy corners, and there always full - everyone that has been living here a while frequent those so the gas gets cycled frequently. If you go inside its like old home week. Never had any problem.

There are also a couple small ones that I never see anyone at and would never go to.

Back