Small Engine Fuels VS Non Ethanol Pump Gas

What's the difference between the bottled small engine 4 cycle fuels you can buy off the shelves at stores and non ethanol pump gas? Is one better than the other for storing equipment?

I was looking online for SEF and Home Depot, Walmart, and Lowes, near me doesn't even have any in stock.

$$$, mainly. I suppose the canned stuff has some added stabilizer, which you can easily add to pump gas for a lot less dough.

The bottled fuels are alkylate. Some brands besides SEF are Stihl, Husqvarna, Tru Fuel, and Aspen.

My OPE runs quite good on E10 pump gas. I'm not sure how much better/longer it'll run with non ethanol fuel(usually in higher octane only) or the canned small engine fuel.

I think it runs clean and well in my equipment. I have been using about a couple gallons a year, for about he last 8 years now, between blower and trimmer. I have had to do absolutely nothing to either of these items. I don't do anything to them for winter, they stay full year round. No gunky carb, always starts on first or second pull. Piston top is clean, units run like the day they were bought. My Honda mower uses non-ethanol fuel, and yearly I have gunk that get in the carb that I have to service almost yearly if I don't run them dry first. Now I use the 2 stroke mix and "pickle" the mower with it for winter. cranks right up and no more "dirty carb" syndrome. It works for me, and I'll pay the cost rather than paying to fix the things every year. It just works--for me.

Canned fuel is refined cleaner and does not go bad (as quickly). One can of Trufuel lasts me about two seasons for my leaf blower. So long as you put the cap on tight, it will last for a long, long time. I prefer this over mixing small quantities of 40:1 myself.

I use pump gas in everything else, mower, generator, outboard motor, etc. So long as the gas is a year or less, everything runs fine. Push that out to two years and I can tell things get harder to start.

I wouldn't use canned gas for anything that consumes a lot of gas. That would get expensive really quick.

My OPE runs quite good on E10 pump gas. I'm not sure how much better/longer it'll run with non ethanol fuel(usually in higher octane only) or the canned small engine fuel.
It will run just fine, but the storage between seasons is the problem. Your carb will get gummed up a lot faster if you don't drain the carbs and store properly between seasons.

Canned fuel is a scam.
IDK if it's a scam because IDK what's in it that makes it so expensive. But, since it is priced at > $6/qt. that's ~$25/gal. and I am not spending that for a can/qt of fuel for my OPE unless I can recycle the can for $23.99. :LOL:

I mean, I can buy 90 octane E0 for < $4/gal and add my own stabilizer & 2 cycle oil

I run pump gas in all my ope. one weed wacker is 21 years old and the backpack blower is 19 years old, the big weed wacker is 8 years old. Lawn mower 10 years old a power washer and generator about 18 years old 2 wheel lines 4 years old

IDK if it's a scam because IDK what's in it that makes it so expensive. But, since it is priced at > $6/qt. that's ~$25/gal. and I am not spending that for a can/qt of fuel for my OPE unless I can recycle the can for $23.99. :LOL:

I mean, I can buy 90 octane E0 for < $4/gal and add my own stabilizer & 2 cycle oil
You aren't getting the fancy can and the marketing with the pump gas and the choice to add your favorite 2 stroke oil.

I rechecked Home Depot's website and they were restocked. I pickedup their brand Power Care which is $3.98 a can if you purchase 8 cans. Some one mentioned it's VP fuels, but I can't find any proof. I have 4 generators to put up after hurricane Ida that was pretty much ran with enthanol pump gas after I went though the E0. I like to drain the tanks and put a quart in each. The Generac 4000XL at my mom's house is more than 20 years old and has had only oil changes and this year the oil sending unit was leaking so it was removed.

I rechecked Home Depot's website and they were restocked. I pickedup their brand Power Care which is $3.98 a can if you purchase 8 cans. Some one mentioned it's VP fuels, but I can't find any proof. I have 4 generators to put up after hurricane Ida that was pretty much ran with enthanol pump gas after I went though the E0. I like to drain the tanks and put a quart in each. The Generac 4000XL at my mom's house is more than 20 years old and has had only oil changes and this year the oil sending unit was leaking so it was removed.

I'm looking at what's available in my area. They have several in stock, although Power Care isn't at my closest location. Mostly TruFuel although also a variety of 4-cycle and premixed 2-cycle fuel. The company that owns TruFuel also owns Bel-Ray and Royal Purple.

They're still listing their San Antonio refinery on their website, but it looks like they sold it for $63 million.

This stuff is more expensive than 100 octane race gas, which I've heard of described as made of "pure components". So I guess it's pretty expensive to absolutely purify into specific hydrocarbons for blending. I'm sure it's desirable to remove some hydrocarbons that aren't as stable in long term storage.

Canned fuel is great, I just wish it was cheaper. Its the only thing I run in my chainsaw because it sits more than anything.

Ethanol free gas is good too if you can get it but it still doesn't have the shelf life of the canned fuel.

It's funny when people call it a scam. Every two years I spend $6 on a can of 40:1 TruFuel. The leaf blower always starts, even after sitting over the winter. It is totally worth it to me!

If I owned a lawn care business, then I would mix my own from pump gas. I don't, so I don't.

In addition, I don’t use non ethanol fuel. For my lawn mower & snow blowerI use 87 octane e10 w/Sta~Bil and call it a day. And for my weed walker & leaf blower, I use the same pump 87 e10 gas and proper 2cycle oil.

If I owned a lawn care business, then I would mix my own from pump gas. I don't, so I don't.

Of course operating the equipment every day is going to be the key. Still - I'm thinking battery powered is the future. They're certainly quieter and don't put out all those fumes.

When I realized it was going to cost me 100.00 during the mowing season for tru fuel I said f that chit. I did for a few years make my own E0. It worked well for the most part. I went back to 93 E10 and stabilizer. What ever doesn’t get used in three months get dumped in the vehicles.

Back