Small engine filters made by ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the pics,,stop using the JD filter's,,that's interesting no ADBV,another one of FRAM's bad quality control?
LOL.gif

Was going to post pics last night but didn't realize I had to host them somewhere else to post them here. It's in the process, I'll try to get them posted in the next day or two.

FWIW, the JD factory filter I have seems to be a pretty well made filter other than being so short. Maybe a champion made one?

Kenny <>{

Originally Posted By: daman
Thanks for the pics,,stop using the JD filter's,,that's interesting no ADBV,another one of FRAM's bad quality control?
LOL.gif

I only used the JD filter once because I was in a pinch. You can bet that I will not be using another one.

Originally Posted By: akennyd
FWIW, the JD factory filter I have seems to be a pretty well made filter other than being so short. Maybe a champion made one?
Kenny <>{

I suppose fram was the lowest bidder on the batch of JD filters mine came from.
21.gif

Was going to post pics last night but didn't realize I had to host them somewhere else to post them here. It's in the process, I'll try to get them posted in the next day or two.

Kenny <>{

I don't think ALL the JD filters are made by FRAM. I've had some "mixed" reports, but mostly hearsay from JD owners that seem to think Deere makes their own filters.
It "seems" that the Kawasaki filters may be a different manf?

That's the main reason I started this thread, was to see WHO makes WHAT.
That probably changes year to year or when the bin is empty and they put out bids for the next batch.

The filter for my Kawasaki powered JD was definitely a fram and the uncertainty about the JD filters is why I will never buy another, well that and the ridiculous price they charge.

I am pretty dang sure this isn't a fram and I tend to agree from what I've heard and seen that engine manufacturers probably tend to change filter suppliers from lot to lot.

Here are the pictures I promised of my factory JD-Briggs engine filter (purchased the mower a month ago). I hope you can get to them from the thumbnails...forgive my sloppy opening job, I don't have an opener and I didn't want to use a dremel or hacksaw because I wanted to see if I had any filings or metal of any description in there.

Kenny <>{

BTW I'm now running a larger sized PureOne filter, that new yellow color looks good on a JD!! Thanks again to Bill for posting the size references!!

Kenny <>{

yup looks like my pics i posted above,but the yellow high efficiency filter from briggs..same by pass valve in the bottom.

Yeah, that JD filter is most definitely NOT a fram... I assume that is a B&S filter since it's what came on the engine new. I wonder if you went to JD and bought a replacement if it would be a fram?

Last edited:
I am pretty dang sure this isn't a fram and I tend to agree from what I've heard and seen that engine manufacturers probably tend to change filter suppliers from lot to lot.

Kenny <>{

I believe the ONE larger inlet hole is a Champion built "quirk".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back