Small cracks Nexen N'Priz AH8 Shoulder?

Did second rotation on my 2017 Elantra SE. First rotation at 7,082 miles. Today rotated at 14,900. Noticed a pattern form on most of the tires. This was the most noticeable example. This tire was originally the drivers side front tire, then passenger rear. These are 195/65R15 T-rated tires. I tend to keep pressure at 38 to 40. When I rotated them today they were at 35 lbs. Door sticker say 36. I do a lot of turns with 4 mile commute to work. Take side streets a lot.

Usually I feather the shoulder. The outer edge looks in great condition. It just shows stress or wear a little inside the shoulder. Should I be concerned? Suggestions?

20181219_102701_resized.jpg

If the rest of the tires look like this, it's time to start tire shopping. Nexen tires are the lowest tier Korean tires. By the way, keep the tires inflated to the PSI provided on the door sticker.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MParr
If the rest of the tires look like this, it's time to start tire shopping. Nexen tires are the lowest tier Korean tires. By the way, keep the tires inflated to the PSI provided on the door sticker.

They are starting. Not as bad. As far as door recommendations. I went a little above due to loss of traction/squealing. Car handles better. Looks like need to go to H rated tires next time. I am open to new tires when needed, but at this time it seems more cosmetic. If there is a safety issue they go tomorrow.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What that tire shows is tire wrought. Get those off your car.

ok I'll ask what is "tire wrought"?

Those look like tires I would be replacing but I'd wait for a decent sale.. and figure out what tires I wanted.

This will not impact cracking. However, you are showing a lot of shoulder wear because you are running at 40 psig.

Daughter has the same car and tires, and shows much better wear at 20K miles and 36 psig.

Note, these are cheap 30K tires, at best. So, you are not loosing a lot by replacing them now.

Replaced by 2015's with Michelins. Huge improvement in ride, handling, noise and winter traction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
What that tire shows is tire wrought. Get those off your car.

ok I'll ask what is "tire wrought"?

Those look like tires I would be replacing but I'd wait for a decent sale.. and figure out what tires I wanted.

LOL I'm sorry I guess I got overwrought with his tire rot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by knerml
This will not impact cracking. However, you are showing a lot of shoulder wear because you are running at 40 psig.

Daughter has the same car and tires, and shows much better wear at 20K miles and 36 psig.

Note, these are cheap 30K tires, at best. So, you are not loosing a lot by replacing them now.

Replaced by 2015's with Michelins. Huge improvement in ride, handling, noise and winter traction.

I was wondering if it was the 40 psi. Or the route I need to drive. Or the limitations of the tire. For the past 20 years shoulders usually feathered bad where I would have no tread on front tires on the outside. At recommended pressure that is what I was starting to get, so bumped up pressure a little.

Higher pressure usually wears the middle of the tire, not the edges, as the center bows outward.

Maybe the 100+ bags of mulch I hauled just this year had an impact. Not counting 2017. I almost loaded as much in my car as the Durango at Home Depot.
smile.gif

If I do replace tires I want to use this shop. Here are the choices. No deals right now, but of the choices which ones do you recommend.

2017 Hyundai Elantra SE Tires

My dad's KIA Forte came with Nexen and they performed exactly as you described. In fact, they were the worst tires I had ever seen in wet conditions. He put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport on and it was night and day difference. Yeah, I would get rid of those things.

There are some pretty good tires on that site. It all depends on what you like as far as ride.The Toyo Versado Noir is a good Touring Tire at a reasonable price along with the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring.

My dad's KIA Forte came with Nexen and they performed exactly as you described. In fact, they were the worst tires I had ever seen in wet conditions. He put a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport on and it was night and day difference. Yeah, I would get rid of those things.

I had Michelin Hydroedge and they were the best with downpours. Honestly, the Nexen's are not bad. Not the best, but better than most I have used. For my needs they keep a balance, handle OK, and have been OK in wet and snow. I cannot say that for Goodyear. Had Goodyear Integrity on a Sentra. That was the worst tire I ever had. Next tried Goodyear TripleTreds. Shop could not get them to balance. Will never buy Goodyear again.

Everything is relative. The Owner/Manager of the shop I want to use sells "a lot" of Nexens and said they are one of the best all season radials money can buy. I took that as for the money vs other brands with no discounts. I want to use that shop since may not have a garage to DYI in the future. This shop is great to work with.

Unfortunately, I live is a very popular busy area and cannot count the times I had to take evasive maneuvers to prevent an accident. At those time that car pushes the limits of the Nexens. As my 8th grade teacher said "a chain is as strong as it's weakest link".

Last edited:
The Michelins I replaced on my other car developed cracks like that, but only late in their life at ~50k miles.

I have Altimax RT43's on my Accord (also in 195/65-15). They hold the road well, aren't loud, and are a good overall value.

It's interesting your SE's 15'' steelies take T-tires, and the 16'' alloys on my Value Edition take H's. The suspension and curb weight is exactly the same for our cars. Like others said, look into H's for your next purchase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser
The Michelins I replaced on my other car developed cracks like that, but only late in their life at ~50k miles.

I have Altimax RT43's on my Accord (also in 195/65-15). They hold the road well, aren't loud, and are a good overall value.

It's interesting your SE's 15'' steelies take T-tires, and the 16'' alloys on my Value Edition take H's. The suspension and curb weight is exactly the same for our cars. Like others said, look into H's for your next purchase.

I had RT43's on my Saturn and loved them. Yeah, it needs H to do the turns. I have to slow down for turns in my Elantra.

Same here. I got great life out of them but no traction....

Yep had Nexen tires on my SiLs audi and the side started to come apart on both. Nexen did not stand behind them either.

Never use Nexen tires, they are junk. There are better tires for around the same price point so why waste good money on junk nexen tires.

Originally Posted by cjcride
They are done.
Can you get the date code off the sidewall? It will be 4 digits in a oval window.

What does "They are done" mean? How did you come to that conclusion? It is an area of 1/2 with the tiny cracks that are not deep. Rest of the tire looks fine.

Date code 3316. I think that means the 33rd week of 2016.

Back