Small But Stupid Move( Windows 10 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may seem lame or even trivial to some of you, and that is cool, but to me it was an issue. I discovered Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed a long standing feature of Windows I have always used and replaced it with some god awful and ridiculous new thing that is almost impossible to use( without a writing pad ).

What did they do you ask? They took out the calculator from Windows>Accessories. Why would they do that? It baffles me? I use that all the time. It is actually one of the few programs I actually keep in the quick launch bar (QLB) at the bottom of the screen.

Anyway, I had a massive computer failure yesterday and decided that seeing as I was starting from scratch that I would finally do the upgrade to Windows 10 while going through the repairs. Today I am reloading software and setting things up the way I like them. When I went to grab the calculator to stick in the QLB it wasn't there. All I saw was a "Math Input Panel" which is USELESS. I looked around some but couldn't find the calculator so I went online to see where they moved it to?

Imagine my surprise( well not really - this is Microsoft after all )to see that countless others have asked the same thing and the answer is that the calculator is gone. Just dumb frankly.
mad.gif

Anyway...

To shorten up this little tirade of mine, the good news is there is a company out there who has made the original Windows 7/8 calculator program/app available for download and it works in Windows 10. It is a small file download you unzip then install the .exe and it puts the original Windows calculator back into the Windows>Accessories folder where it should have been all along.

If any of you would like to add this simple, but important and useful, feature back into Windows 10 you can download it here...

http://winaero.com/download.php?view.1795

Hope it helps and sorry for the lengthy rant. I just get so sick of Microsoft forever trying to fix things that just are not broken.

I was confused because my windows 10 still has it... I guess because of upgrade vs fresh install?

Just enter word 'calculator' into Bing or Google. Works on any Windows, Apple, UNIX, Be OS, Plan 9

Mine has this one but I honestly don't know if it's from Win 10 or Lenovo. Sorry for the crude capture.

SNAG-16022614044000_zps3dhpgnec.png

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Just enter word 'calculator' into Bing or Google. Works on any Windows, Apple, UNIX, Be OS, Plan 9

Not all machines are connected to the network at all time.

Yeah, calculator is there by default. The one RTexasF screencapped is the one.
Its either in the "C" folder in the "All Apps" part of the start menu or you can hit the start menu and start typing "Cal..." and it comes right up.

I typed in calc in Win 10 and there are three kinds available plus converters etc. I got it on my taskbar now. So MS isn't so stupid after all, are they. Thanks folks, I would never have thought to look for a calculator.

If you click the three vertical lines in the upper left, you'll see that it's actually an immensely powerful tool. Tons of functionality beyond basic math.

I don't know what you are talking about lol. It does have a calculator. Hit the start button, type "calc" and hit the calculator button. You will learn with Windows 10 that the search function is GREAT.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I just get so sick of Microsoft forever trying to fix things that just are not broken.

I would imagine that it's just as frustrating for Microsoft when people claim that something isn't there when it still is. I have 2 Windows 10 machines that were upgrades and 1 that was a fresh factory installation. All 3 have the new, updated Windows calculator that has a tremendous amount of new functionality.

The new calculator takes longer to open. In all Windows OS prior, click calculator and it opened instantly. The new one takes about a second to open.
It does not affect usability, but still, why?
As for features, the old one has pretty much all that the Win 10 one has.
One thing that irks me about the new one is the history. In the old one, you could have a running history above the current calculation, the new on you have to have it almost half (of my laptops) screen to show the history, or you can peek at the history, but I don't like it. It also will not go as small.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I just get so sick of Microsoft forever trying to fix things that just are not broken.

I would imagine that it's just as frustrating for Microsoft when people claim that something isn't there when it still is. I have 2 Windows 10 machines that were upgrades and 1 that was a fresh factory installation. All 3 have the new, updated Windows calculator that has a tremendous amount of new functionality.

Wow, NHHEMI, you've been had.
if you don't know Pop_Rivit's count is at 71 years....

Nhhemi: Sounds like you've had a frustrating couple of days! Been there, done that myself...just fortunately this time not with confusers. Having your confuser crash-&-burn unexpectedly on you is no-fun-what-so-ever.

Hope your tomorrow is better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back