Windows 10 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across an article re: MS update for the Windows 10 update. Yeah, I know, right?

Recent 'recommended' patch for Windows 7 and 8.1 lets you know when Windows 10 becomes available

The link in the article takes you here; Update for Windows 7 and 8.1 silently installs Windows 10 downloader

Here's the KB3035583 page; Update enables additional capabilities f...d Windows 7 SP1

I haven't decided yet whether I'll go the update route. I might, just to see how it goes, but I will certainly have full verified image of my system as it is so I can roll it back when, I mean IF, things go bad.

This post is about "How" you get it rather than "What" you're getting and I thought the differentiation was worth a separate post.

Got it.

What's still unclear to me is whether as a currrent W7 user I will be able to not just "update" to W10 but install it from scratch on a new hard drive.

Agree, I'm hoping for a stand alone release too.

But the way it's looking so far is that this will be more like a Service Pack in previous releases.

Though how that's going to work with new PCs eludes me. That would mean Dell, for instance, would have to install Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 update! Similar to Windows 7 SP1.

No, I think they'll have to release a stand alone version but maybe only for sale and if you want it for free you get it via the update.

Well, it's all speculation for now. Time will tell.

I'll update my Win8.1 machine as long as it does not mess up my windows media.

My win7 machine I'll see how win10 does on my other computer first.

Comments in the linked article insist that you can download an ISO and install Windows 10 fresh just like any other version of Windows. We'll see...

So I now have Windows 10 icon in my task bar, and when I click it I get this:

wten.png

Still not clear whether you'll be able to download an ISO and install fresh. This makes it sound like it's just going to download it for you. No idea what it'll let you do with it...

From what I've read regarding the early reservation, it will let your computer download bits and pieces of 10 as certain portions of it are completed closer to July in the background, without you really being aware of it. Once the official release date arrives, it can download any remaining portions and offer to schedule the installation. I've read that Microsoft is allowing this incremental download to prevent everyone trying to plug in their 3 GB download pipe all at the same time.

As for me, I will likely wait until the fall to make a decision on whether I will upgrade my two 8.1 machines and my one 7 machine.

A clean install is the only way I will "upgrade" any OS...be it Windows, Linux (Arch notwithstanding), OSX, iOS, or Android.

Running just an "upgrade" on top of the existing OS always seems to cause problems. I was just reminded of this yesterday on my phone. My "upgrade" from Android KitKat to Lollipop caused all kinds of chaos on my phone. I backed it up and did a clean reset, problems gone.

Point is, unless Microsoft lets me download an ISO to burn onto a disc or USB thumb drive, I'll just stick with 7...which I barely use anyway.

Stupid question:

I have Win 8.1 and Mint installed currently. If I proceed with the Win 10 update, will it only mess with the Win portion or would it affect the Mint portion as well?

How long is this FREE activation period from the time Win10 will be available in July to be installed?

I also have the Win10 icon now...
And which version of win 10 is free? Any of them?

(currently on win 7)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: racer12306
Stupid question:

I have Win 8.1 and Mint installed currently. If I proceed with the Win 10 update, will it only mess with the Win portion or would it affect the Mint portion as well?

The (Windows) update will almost certainly bugger with the boot sector of your hard drive. It will not, therefore, mess up your Mint disk partition but will almost certainly prevent you from being able to boot into it.

There are steps you can take - they are trivial but do involve editing some important files by hand with a text editor - to repair your boot menu. If and when you choose or are forced to upgrade, check either here, Google or the Ubuntu or Mint forums for instructions.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
How long is this FREE activation period from the time Win10 will be available in July to be installed?

I also have the Win10 icon now...
And which version of win 10 is free? Any of them?

(currently on win 7)

One year, should you change to Windows 8.1 now.

I will wait before downloading 10. I may go several months and observe the new threads on Windows 10 here first.

Right now there is nothing being offered on Windows 10 that I need. All I use a computer for is surfing the web and streaming movies/TV Shows.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Stupid question:

The (Windows) update will almost certainly bugger with the boot sector of your hard drive. It will not, therefore, mess up your Mint disk partition but will almost certainly prevent you from being able to boot into it.

There are steps you can take - they are trivial but do involve editing some important files by hand with a text editor - to repair your boot menu. If and when you choose or are forced to upgrade, check either here, Google or the Ubuntu or Mint forums for instructions.

Thanks. I already had to mess with the Grub menu with an editor in order to be able to boot into Mint. Assuming it will be something similar when 10 goes on.

Thanks. I already had to mess with the Grub menu with an editor in order to be able to boot into Mint. Assuming it will be something similar when 10 goes on.

That is precisely what you'll be doing again.

What booting issue necessitated you having to get into the GRUB configuration to begin with, may I ask?!

It just wouldn't show the grub menu when installed along side Win8.1.

I think Win8.1 forced the Windows loader ahead of the grub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back