Small block Chevy power steering pulley install

I have a 1995 GMC K1500 with the 5.0L (305ci) engine. I had to remove the power steering pump pulley to replace the driver side exhaust manifold as I'm installing headers on it. There was a bolt under the pulley that is only accessible with the pulley removed. I used the Harbor Freight 12 piece power steering pulley removal/install tool and got the pulley off. I thought I read in the reviews that this tool had been used on the small block Chevy engine, but now it seems like it was only used to remove the pulley. I can't seem to get any of the threaded installer pieces to fit. Per the manual for the puller/installer tool, these are the size installers:

Jackscrew Threading 5/8"–18
Ford® 4.6 L Threading 0.365"–16 to 0.311"-20
GM® 3.1 L Threading 0.367"–16
Quad 4 Threading0 .367"–16 to 0.369"–16
Threading on all others 0.366"–16 to 0.365"–16

I've had no luck getting any of these to thread into the pulley hole. I've sprayed the hole with penetrating solution and compressed air to try to clean any threads in there. The Quad 4 and GM fittings seem to want to fit tightly but I'm afraid to cross thread if it isn't the right thread. Also I would have to lock the tapered shaft with pliers to try to twist it in and I don't want to damage the shaft and not be able to get the pulley to fit back on. I saw some Youtube videos where they were able to easily thread the installer in by hand.

Any ideas?

I have this OTC model https://www.tooldiscounter.com/product/otc-power-steering-pulley-puller-installer-set-otc4530 and used it on my '92 C3500HD when replacing the pump. Not too expensive and beats having to go borrow something.

61SEuil7TOL._AC_SL1100_.jpg

If you have an Auto Zone nearby they should have a loan-a-tool available, I used it on my '93 GMC C3500 pump & it worked OK, should be the same. Costs less than the HF one too!
I'm a firm believer in the auto parts store loaner tools, especially if you only need it very infrequently. That is one service they provide that is really great.

Autozone had the right tool. It is the 3/8"-16 thread. The HF kit seemed like it should thread in but seemed to be cross threading. For future reference, the exact tool was OEM 57031. It appears to be the same as the OTC tool kit atikovi posted. I was able to reinstall the pulley without issue. As a side note, it helped to put the serpentine belt on the pulley to keep it from spinning while tightening the install tool:

Thanks for the help.

Back