Small air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something that can inflate tires and possibly run a brad nailer. 120 volt yet portable. Nothing to run air tools. Any thoughts? TIA

I have a makita oiled air compressor that has two small holding tanks, is of a cast-iron design, and works quite well. I run my finish and frame nailer, as well as palm nailer on it, and its design is good enough (holds enough air) that when set to 85 PSI, it doesnt cycle more than once every minute or two under heavy use.

It is heavy, but what air compressor isnt.

If you want a good one, Id say to buy an oiled compressor. I run it through a coalescing filter and a dessicant filter, fill an 11 gallon portable air storage tank, and use that to fill my tires, works great. A cast iron oiled compressor will work indefinitely, and provide great service.

If you are afraid of an oiled compressor for whatever reason, Id buy a thomas compressor. That is what I use to provide shop air in my lab (to run my chromatograph and feed air to some ovens as necessary). It cycles, runs great, has for years. Thomas apparently makes sme of the best non-oiled compressors. Some are rated at up to 100% duty cycle.

Of course you get what you pay for. A good quality oiled unit, or a thomas non-oiled unit will last and be trouble free. A Harbor freightmay only last a year or two of intermittant use.

If you do go oiled, after breakin, be sure to put synthetic compressor oil, like the amsoil product in. It makes the compressor head run notably coolr.

JMH

I bought a small, used Dewalt from the dad of one of my dughter's friends. It's a single tank oiled unit rated for continuous duty, and Emglo or something, weighs maybe 60 lbs. He used it for nailing, said that it was pretty new and was getting a bigger model. Works great on tires, I bought it for the truck tires after giving up on some of the small air compressors for tires. I used an air impact wrench for a short while but those make too much racket for my taste when changing tires, and now use a 1/2 in breaker baer and 'speed handle' which works fine.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
how much are you looking to spend?

Not sure at this point. I would say less than $200.

Might buy a reconditioned Dewalt online from the Dewalt store. Should be good quality. You see I am cheap/want good value. :)

I have a small Porter Cable pancake compressor that does fine. $169 or so at Home Depot or Lowe's. This one will run air tools as well as do the functions you describe. My son has a no-name small double tank compressor that does just as well (longevity to be determined) that he got for $100. It might suit your needs also.

I've got a small Husky non-oiled compressor. It's fairly light-weight and portable, and it was cheap. Not sure how long it'll last. My only complaint about it is that it's only got a 1 gallon tank which means it can take a few cycles just topping up 4 tires a few PSI.

When we got our truck the tires were down about 15 PSI each. It took my at least 3 or 4 minutes per tire to get them up to rated pressure, since I'd have to wait for the tank to fill from 50 or so PSI to 100 PSI multiple times for each tire given the massive volume difference between the tires and the tank.

My advice would be to get one with as big a tank as will meet your portability requirements.

Thanks,
I am looking at a range of compressors, mostly with 4-6 gallon capacity. That should work fine for tire and nailer needs.

Check out the small 'hot dog' Senco compressor. I have used Senco products/tools for over 30 years and have never been disappointed.

Id buy a small compressor then get a 10-15 gallon tank that can hold 125-175psi. This will allow the motor the cycle less, but run longer each cycle.

Just like a car, longer cycles are easier then constant start/stops

I have a 60 gallon 2 stage compressor and a small twin tank portable compressor from Harbor Freight. The portable compressor costs around $100 and works fine for me. If you are filling some tires and a nail gun once and awhile, you do not need the same quality that a finish carpenter needs who uses his compressor every day and his living depends upon it. We all would like super tools, but I for one would prefer more less than super tools than fewer super tools.

The only concern I have with my portable compressor is how to mount the filter and regulator, but that could be a problem with any compressor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back