Sludge strikes again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Why Charpslyer continues to make the 2.7 really baffles me...Its has had a bad reputation from the get go..To even offer the 2.7 in the Charger and the 300 is Disgrace and Charpster should be ashamed of itself for using it in those cars...The standard engine for the Charger and the 300 should be the 3.5...Besides sluging the 2.7 is a way uderpowerd engine..

Just makes no sense to me why they even produce such a horrible engine..Its prabably one of the reasons why Charpslyer is in the shape it is now.

If Ford or General Motors produced such a horrible engine like the 2.7 it would have been gone long ago..Yet Charpsler continues to produce them today..

I fell sorry for the people who haven't got a clue on whats going on that get stuck with those 2.7 engines.

Amen to that! I recently had the displeasure of renting a 300 with this pathetically underpowered piece of [censored] engine. In just over 1k miles of driving I must have floored that thing 200-300 times. Lol, on the highway between Vegas and Palm Springs it was so underpowered I'd have to leave it in 3rd anytime there was even a slight hill. Terrible, terrible engine.

The V6 in my Maxima felt like it was a Ferrari when I got home.

We picked up a clean 2002 Intrepid for my teenage daughter at a great price. While I await the eventual 2.7 failure, I have had good good luck with Mobil 1 HM at 3k OCI. A Kerosene, then a Seafoam flush were done, but I have no idea if there was any positive effect. It runs and oil use is 1/2 qt per 3K. No coolant loss.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, so when it goes, I have no one to blame. The price you pay for a used one you may actually find good value. To buy one new and have these problems would be dissapointing.

I just find it kinda funny that they know the engines have sludge problems, but they tell him to change the oil every 5-6000 miles with synthetic. Maybe its just me, but I won't even wait that long for an oil change on an engine that has no sludge problems even with synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Dan2286
I just find it kinda funny that they know the engines have sludge problems, but they tell him to change the oil every 5-6000 miles with synthetic. Maybe its just me, but I won't even wait that long for an oil change on an engine that has no sludge problems even with synthetic.

Why not?

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Quick question here, for those in the "know". Are one of these blown engine repairable? Or would it be a futile attempt?

They are repairable, but they are a very expensive engine to rebuild if you're going to do a true rebuild. I'm aware of a few do-it-your-selfers who have done it for $1K - $1500 : crank shaft kit, all bearings, oil and water pump, all chains and tensioners, valve job etc. But if you have to replace pistons/connecting rods, any of the 4 cam shafts or the valves (24 of them), the cost goes through the roof. If you send it out you're looking somewhere around $3K minimum for a good job. Jasper wants somewhere close to $5K for one of their rebuilds (with modifications and a 3 year warranty).

Wow. That is TERRIBLE. Looks like the oil was changed every 30k or something, or, maybe the 2.7L has some kind of oil circulation problem and oil just sits in places where it shouldn't for too long. Regardless, I'll never buy a car w/ a 2.7L after seeing this thread. Good luck I hope your bearings aren't shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbohip72

Amen to that! I recently had the displeasure of renting a 300 with this pathetically underpowered piece of [censored] engine. In just over 1k miles of driving I must have floored that thing 200-300 times. Lol, on the highway between Vegas and Palm Springs it was so underpowered I'd have to leave it in 3rd anytime there was even a slight hill. Terrible, terrible engine.

The V6 in my Maxima felt like it was a Ferrari when I got home.

It's not so much that the engine is terrible, it's just a bad application in such a large car. I agree with whomever said the base engine for the Charger/300 should be the 3.5.
In my Intrepid, I'd say the 2.7 is literally "just adequate" - and that's it. It's the bare minimum acceptable in terms of power for a car this size. I love the gas mileage on the highway though : nearly 32 mpg in the summer with a cruise speed of 65 - 70 mph. The Intrepid has a fairly aerodynamic shape.

I should post pictures of mine when I had it open at 217K miles. It looked nothing like these sludged-up engines that show up so often on the internet.

As you see in my signature, I too went thru a bad 2.7L in my Intrepid. Thing is, the car was bought brand new, and had dealer oil changes every 5,000km (3,000miles)! Engine blew at 113,000km.

The mechanic who did the transplant, told me he opened up the blown 2.7L and "it looked brand new inside, clean as a whistle too". These engines were introduced in 1998, and I believe they had more problems and issues than just sludge!

In 1998, the 2.7L in the Intrepid was rated at 200 horsepower. My 2.7L in my 01 Sebring is rated at 190 hsp. In a new 300, the 2.7L (US models only) are rated at 178 hsp! ... Many changes have been made over the years.

Originally Posted By: BigNick
As you see in my signature, I too went thru a bad 2.7L in my Intrepid. Thing is, the car was bought brand new, and had dealer oil changes every 5,000km (3,000miles)! Engine blew at 113,000km.

The mechanic who did the transplant, told me he opened up the blown 2.7L and "it looked brand new inside, clean as a whistle too". These engines were introduced in 1998, and I believe they had more problems and issues than just sludge!

In 1998, the 2.7L in the Intrepid was rated at 200 horsepower. My 2.7L in my 01 Sebring is rated at 190 hsp. In a new 300, the 2.7L (US models only) are rated at 178 hsp! ... Many changes have been made over the years.

I am in shock here in Miami that you still buy Mopar products...I really don't know what the 300 weighs but it has to be close to the Crown Vic and the Crown Vic uses a 250 H.P. for its standard engine...I wish it had more but I could live with it..178 H.P. for the 300 is rediculous for a car that size..

Turns out the 3.5 and the Hemi seem to have allot of issues also....The Sheriff in the next county over bought around 400 of them and it turned out to be a Maintenance Nightmare so they stopped buying them.

I am in shock here in Miami that you still buy Mopar products...I really don't know what the 300 weighs but it has to be close to the Crown Vic and the Crown Vic uses a 250 H.P. for its standard engine...I wish it had more but I could live with it..178 H.P. for the 300 is rediculous for a car that size..

Turns out the 3.5 and the Hemi seem to have allot of issues also....The Sheriff in the next county over bought around 400 of them and it turned out to be a Maintenance Nightmare so they stopped buying them.

What kind of issues are they running into?

If you used PP in that engine from new with a 4000 OCI and clean the PCV every 12-15k I would think you would have no sludge issues.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton

What kind of issues are they running into?

Some of the issues consist of trannys going out,oil leaks,hesitation on 3 point turns and suspension problems...Brakes are the major issue...At almost every oil change they have to put new rotors on them plus the parts cost twice as much as the Ford...Changing rotors at almost every oil change is unheard of in their Fords...The Charger also runs hotter then the Ford which is not good in Florida Jungle Heat where they idle for hours with the a/c on all year long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back