Sludge in oil fill and cap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil today in my brother's 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cab (81,500 miles) pickup with the 4.7L. The oil looked fine as it drained, but this is what the oil cap looks like:

-

Is this “normal”?
Mobil-1 has been used fairly regularly every 5,000 miles.

Thanks,
John

Not normal! have your brother take the Dodge in to the dealer since it should still be under warranty. Appears to be moisture in the crankcase. Actually you are probably out of warranty.
dunno.gif

[ March 20, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Amkeer ]

Either this engine gets a lot of cold weather driving where it never gets fully warmed up, or you've got a coolant leak. My guess is a coolant leak. Cracked head or blown head gasket.

Unfortunately, this is common with the 4.7L Dodge. The PCV valve is in the oil fill tube at the front of the engine, and especially during cold weather, the water vapor condenses and makes the foam. The only solution I've seen is to insulate the plastic oil fill tube and ensure the engine is able to reach full operating temperature for at least 15 minutes before shutting off. There is a TSB for 2000 and earlier engines, but it's just a scam as the only purpose for the baffle installed with the TSB is to hide the majority of the watery sludge.

YIKES! I also have read on here that this is normal for the 4.7 L I believe, but was it the 5.2L that has sludge problems? Or was it the 4.7L? Any how, if the 4.7L is not the Dodge sludger, then at least reduce the change interval, cause it looks like this engine sees frequent short cold weather driving. Also, confirm that the thermostat is not stuck open.
smile.gif

It has 81,000 miles in 3 years it would have to be a heck of alot of short trips! Definitely a serious moisture problem....

That is not normal. White milky foam is normal. Your FOam apears to be orange in the photo! If your coolant is orange in color I suspect you have a leak!

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
That is not normal. White milky foam is normal. Your FOam apears to be orange in the photo! If your coolant is orange in color I suspect you have a leak!

In person it is yellow. When I shook the cap clear water droplets fell from it.

-John

quote:

Originally posted by Amkeer:
It is a "Normal Defect" but it is not normal. Sad.......

Amkeer,
Those normal defects in Dodges is why I own two Toyotas now!
RichR

If it mostly clear with a light yellow tinge it is fine. You also see this on some Merceds and on some Toyota but not as pronounced. THe 4.7 has a long aluminum oil fill tube. It gets this milky condesation on it's cap as well. It does not get as much though as the Dodge 4.7.

I think that fact that the dodge fill tube mounts to the head instead of the valve cover and the fact that it is compasite causes most of this! If you had any coolant leaking it would show up on UOA. The DC 4.7 uses MLM head gasket it can fail like any gasket but it is not a likely failure point unless you get it hot enough to warp a head!

Looks like the filler neck on my '97 F150 with the 4.6. It was normal through the cold winter months. It all had to do with the placement of the filler neck and the lack of heat to keep things in vapor form in this loaction, coupled with poor engine circulation in that particular location.

A shorter OCI would reduce the buildup some, but does not address the underlying cause of the issue.

About 75% of all 4.7Ls I've seen do that. Some are worse, I've seen one with two cups of foam in it.

-T

Is this 4.7 L Dodge Dakota engine the same V8 engine used in the Jeep Cherokee V8? If so, it was the basis for the Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6. Are both the Jeep V8 and the V6 versions having this problem?

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
Is this 4.7 L Dodge Dakota engine the same V8 engine used in the Jeep Cherokee V8? If so, it was the basis for the Jeep Liberty 3.7L V6. Are both the Jeep V8 and the V6 versions having this problem?

The sludging occurs on the 5.7 engine also.

It will still happen even with routine oil changes. The condition is worse for vehicles driven in extremely cold areas.

Bill,

[ March 28, 2004, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: SSlube ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyO:
cool.gif
Glad I read this and the other link. Changed oil in my Astro this weekend and white stuff inside the cap. After breathing into a paper bag to calm down and checking BITOG, I'm okay now.
grin.gif
Oil filler neck IS about 3' long since it's a van, hence condensation.

If you've got the 4.3L, they are known to blow intake gaskets as well. Had two of them go in our family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back