Sludge and Oil Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Sludge in an Engin Raise Oil pressure? It sounds like ti is bettet to have too MUCH Oil pressure than too little.

I wonder if i DO have Sludge, im getting "Good" Oil Pressure with 10W-40.. Jag people say "Use 20W-50" in the 1985 XJ6 4.2, but ... ??????? Oh im so confused.

At least i know not to use THIN oil.. :p

Thoughts on Sludge and my pressures?

I see 20-40 PSi Hot when its fully warmed up and at a light and everything.. When first started up, and up until the 20 minutes abd driving down the Road i see 65 Psi (Its Relief) .. and when Fully Warmed and Driving, about 60 Psi.

Seems the Relief valve only bypasses the Filter, so its not bad.

Is SLUDGE causing my 10W-40 to give High Pressure, and are these GOOD Pressures, so even if i HAVE Sludge.. should i EVER use the 20W-50?

The only way you know you have sludge is if you open up the valve covers and look. It should be obvious.

As for factory installed gauges, most of them don't do jack.
If this is a pressure gauge you have installed where is it located?
Before or after the oil filter?

The issue with sludge is that lubrication has more to do with FLOW and not PRESSURE. You can get better lubrication with a 5w20 oil due to more flow, but yet you will have a lower PRESSURE.

Those pressures don't mean much.
And with a 9 quart sump it will take awhile to heat it all up to operating temps.
How hard do you drive your Jag?

Sludge won't have any effect at all on oil pressure until it gets bad enough to block the oil return flow to the pan, or block the pickup screen. Sludge doesn't form inside oil passages where pressure is high and flow is fast, it forms in out-of-the-way pockets that are only splashed with oil, like valve covers, lifter valleys, etc. It sits there not having much effect on anything until it starts acting as a dam and preventing gravity from pulling pooled oil back to the pan.

I'm not familiar with Jags, but in general those pressures look perfectly normal to me.

And...

WHAT is WITH The random CAPS Key?!?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
The only way you know you have sludge is if you open up the valve covers and look. It should be obvious.

As for factory installed gauges, most of them don't do jack.
If this is a pressure gauge you have installed where is it located?
Before or after the oil filter?

The issue with sludge is that lubrication has more to do with FLOW and not PRESSURE. You can get better lubrication with a 5w20 oil due to more flow, but yet you will have a lower PRESSURE.

Those pressures don't mean much.
And with a 9 quart sump it will take awhile to heat it all up to operating temps.
How hard do you drive your Jag?

Nucleardawg: No, Battery is charging now, DONT use PayPal

.440 MagnumL Its like my Glock 19.. Broke. :D

And Poster 1: I drive it pretty normal, i try to take it easy, but i tdrives the same cold or hot.. 2000RPM is all it takes to movie it with the Torque it has.

Jags advise AGAINST Thin Oil.. and i MAY give 20W-50 a shot, i dont know. Maybe ill;lls tick with 10W-40. Again.. i dont know.

Originally Posted By: nucleardawg
So you haven't fixed the alternator, but the battery is charging?

Or is the battery out of the car, on a charger?

Don't mean to be rude, but please make a little more sense.

its in the Car on a Charger.

How much more Sense would you like me to make?

btw: How much longer can i keep Doign that/ I need to use it only 3 days...

Again not to be rude...But often times you don't make any sense...You seem to not be able to afford to fix this issue. Instead of worrying about sludge, and constantly posting your oil pressure, perhaps you need to worry about how your going to pay, for the inevitable expensive repair on this vehicle.

It hasn't seemed to work out for you to this point. It won't be to long before that battery is toast...Good luck.

Originally Posted By: nucleardawg

Don't mean to be rude, but please make a little more sense.

Asking him to make sense is asking a lot. I still think he is a troll or maybe an ex member playing a prank on the forum. Honesty who is this dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back