Slow USB charge

Recently I've been forced to upgrade my wifi router (need more MBPS etc). The new router does not offer a USB (to charge from), so we're at a loss currently

I used to use the following router. It was especially great, because it had a USB port on the back that always was "on" and offered a nice, slow charge to our smartphones.
We enjoy this slower charge, as it allows our smartphones' battery to last much longer over the day, vs. the regular chargers that are offered with new phones.
Cisco router

Is there another source/charger that'll offer a comparable "slow" charge?
I've considered my TV, but the power is cut when it's turned "off" 😒

thanks in advance

Last edited:

I'm not going into the whole slow charge makes the battery hold more energy statement.
(false)
however,
it definitely can prolong your battery lifespan (years) vs rapid charging.

I'm not going into the whole slow charge makes the battery hold more energy statement.
(false)
Thanks for the link, but where in my original post did I say it allows the batter to "hold more energy"?
I said "battery to last much longer over the day" meaning the discharge rate was slower.

If you decide to believe this or not is irrelevant, but I have owned several smartphones which showed the same discharge patterns.

Say what?

Anyway, what helps prolong battery life is not charging it all the way to 100%, and not keeping it at 100% for long.

If your phone allows you to set a max % charging limit, take advantage of that.
Lol, sorry, I meant to say "USB" not router :ROFLMAO:

EDIT, now that you mention it, I've turned off the "fast charge" feature on my phone. We'll see if that makes a difference (y)

Last edited:
Newer apple phones have a conservative charging mode that stops charging at 80%. Android users can use an app like AccuBattery where you can set an alarm to go off when the battery hits whatever level you configure so you can unplug it. 80% is good.

A battery charger from an old flip phone might be what you're looking for. I pulled one out of the drawer and see that it charges at 325mv.

We enjoy this slower charge, as it allows our smartphones' battery to last much longer over the day, vs. the regular chargers that

Thanks for the link, but where in my original post did I say it allows the batter to "hold more energy"?
I said "battery to last much longer over the day" meaning the discharge rate was slower.

If your phone is using the same amount of energy. then the slow charger is packing more into the battery?
slow charging doesnt make your phone use less energy.

I personally slow charge mine nightly.. but its so the battery degrades less over time.. not that it discharges slower.. which doesnt really make sense.

So your phone violates the laws of physics? or explain what I'm missing? :)

PS feel free to imagine a bunch of smilies in here.

Any non-power delivery USB-A port power brick will do. To keep it on the slow side use a 5V 1A MAX charger.

A battery charger from an old flip phone might be what you're looking for. I pulled one out of the drawer and see that it charges at 325mv.
You mean mA. That's PAINFULLY slow! 1A is slow.

I have an iPhone XR and try not to fast-charge it often. I usually just put it on the 10W inductive charger.

Newer apple phones have a conservative charging mode that stops charging at 80%.
It stops charging at 80% based on your supposed wakeup time; at that point it completes the charge to 100%.

Just get a surge protector and run a 110V charger at it. There is no problem doing it the old fashion way. Personally I don't want to mess with a router with USB charging, the more stable the power the more stable the router.

Back