Slow tire leak. Fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna take my truck in tomorrow to see if they can fix one of my tires that loses about 20psi after about two days. There are no nails or anything that I know of in the tire. Can they find a leak this small? I know they put tires in soapy water and look for bubbles but I don't think they will find any with a leak this small. These tires still have 40 percent tread life so I don't want to have to buy a new one.

I've had small leaks and those rinky tire shops always seem to find the leak. Won't cost much to try and find the leak compared to a new tire. Give it a shot.

Well it looks like they should be able to find it then. That's good. You guys sound pretty confident about it. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
13 psi the first day and 7 psi the second day .....

Are you sure there is a core in the valve stem ?? Like Chris said, that's one BIG leak.

Who said anything about 13psi one day and 7 the next?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

Are you sure there is a core in the valve stem ?? Like Chris said, that's one BIG leak.

You said that it lost 20 lbs in 2 days. As the pressure decreases, the leak will likely slow down so it would likely leak more the first day...
I was just making a tongue-in-cheek quip. Bottom line, a 20lb/2day leak should be very evident and easy to find. No disrespect intended.

You said that it lost 20 lbs in 2 days. As the pressure decreases, the leak will likely slow down so it would likely leak more the first day...
I was just making a tongue-in-cheek quip. Bottom line, a 20lb/2day leak should be very evident and easy to find. No disrespect intended.

None taken

Well they fixed it and it didn't cost me anything so that's good. Why did they replace the valve stem though? Do they just do that everytime they remove a tire from the rim? The valve stem wasn't the problem. There was a small hole in the tire.

NEVERMIND i was wrong.

Well I wasted two hrs out of the day today trying to fix this only to discover it's still leaking. Losing the same amount of air.:( Back to the tire place again. I guess i'll just have them take the spare off and swap out tires. The tire guy can swap out his job while he's at it too.

The tire guy can swap out his job while he's at it too.

That's a little mean. For all we know you had two holes.

I know. I wasn't serious. I'm not gonna try to get anyone fired over a leaky tire. It just always seems like nothing ever gets fixed the first time. Usually the third time for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
The tire guy can swap out his job while he's at it too.

That's a little mean. For all we know you had two holes.

Refraining from making a comment :)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Can they find a leak this small?
10psi a day is a huge leak! If a tire guy can't find that leak he needs to find a new job.

this^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back