slam brakes - awful grab - wt??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The North Country (far northern NY State)
Slammed my brakes today when a car in front of me stopped for a yellow lite - there was an awful feeling in the brakes - definitely a grabbing sensation - maybe a sound but I was so startled I can't describe it (not grinding tho).

Last week I thought something similar had happened but I hadn't slammed the brakes as hard so wasn't sure - but this was definitely something.

My brakes still work fine, no problem just slowing down in stop and go traffic, that sort of thing - a driver doesn't have to slam brakes that often so hard to say what's up with this - ? in other words, normal driving is fine.

about 2 years ago my ABS light came on and before I could even take it to the garage and get checked out, it went off and I forgot all about it - until now.

Ford Ranger 2003 6 cyl, not front wheel drive.

suggestions? comments?

Last edited:
The ABS when it kicks in will give you, depending on conditions, a vibrating off-on-off-on pumping action to keep from locking the wheels. It scares my wife. But it avoids crashes.

It only kicks in when a wheel is about to lock up, so dirt, ice, water conditions often are triggers. One of my first experiences with it (back in 2000) stopped my Grand Cherokee about 3 feet short of the cliff where a road had washed out and I came over the hill at my usual 60 mph.

It sounds like you experienced the normal operation of the Anti-lock Braking System.
When the ABS activates you will feel the brake pedal pulsate and often there will be what most describe as a knocking sound as well.

Sounds like the ABS to me too. To confirm, next time it snows out, test out a panic stop in a safe area. It's worth getting somewhat familiar to the sound and feeling so that you don't panic and lift off the brake when you really need it.

Pay no attention to that silly ABS light........pfffft...that was created by a bunch of snotty college kids who were forced to put it there by the government.

Originally Posted By: widman
The ABS when it kicks in will give you, depending on conditions, a vibrating off-on-off-on pumping action to keep from locking the wheels. It scares my wife. But it avoids crashes.

It only kicks in when a wheel is about to lock up, so dirt, ice, water conditions often are triggers. One of my first experiences with it (back in 2000) stopped my Grand Cherokee about 3 feet short of the cliff where a road had washed out and I came over the hill at my usual 60 mph.

ok, yeah, this and what everyone else said, that definitely describes it - so everything is ok then?

except - I was coming down a hill maybe 25-35 mph last year, can never forget it - I knew I had the light and could see traffic stopped, out of the traffic comes this complete moron on his bike talking on his cell phone so he didn't even look up at the light or wonder why he could go and the cars were stopped - I came so freakin' close to hitting him !!! omg so I slammed then, but this same thing didn't happen.

the reason I mention it is because Widman you said something about dirt, etc. I've been parking on our block which has been undergoing serious street repairs for months. Sewer, gas, water; everything - the dust on my truck has been considerable but some of us still park there because then we don't have to move during alternate side of the street parking days.

so assuming there is dirt/grime in there - is there something to worry about? will it wash out with rain etc over time?

thanks everyone for your comments!!!

Take your brakes apart and regrease, it's due. If you haven't notice what's wrong by now check the tone ring on the axle for a crack.

Originally Posted By: gulian
Take your brakes apart and regrease, it's due. If you haven't notice what's wrong by now check the tone ring on the axle for a crack.

arghhh!!!!! that sounds serious - (cracked axle)

wouldn't I have noticed that already ?

The ring is ON the axle. They tend to rust and crack. This will cause abs failure. As far as greasing goes apply on the slider pins, not the friction material.

I wouldn't necessarily worry. If the road is dry, without loose dirt or sand, good tires could hold very well without them activating.

Since half of my driving is on narrow mountain dirt/mud roads, I'm used to them. I don't remember them ever activating on my 2012 Grand Cherokee on dry pavement. But probably activated more than 50 times on dirt/gravel roads when a truck has come around the hairpin.

Originally Posted By: gulian
The ring is ON the axle. They tend to rust and crack. This will cause abs failure. As far as greasing goes apply on the slider pins, not the friction material.

oh ok - whew - had me in a panic!

was on the highway today, everything was fine. will make sure I have the garage check all this out very soon - thanks!

Originally Posted By: Bluebonnet
also I've never heard of greasing brakes before - [censored] is that? why would someone grease their brakes???

Take it to a shop if you have never heard of this.

The slides need to be serviced (with grease), and everything needs to be cleaned up.

Also have the ABS tone ring inspected.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
also I've never heard of greasing brakes before - [censored] is that? why would someone grease their brakes???

The slides need to be serviced (with grease), and everything needs to be cleaned up.

thanks - will do!!

+1 that was my thoughts as well. By what you said, everything is feeling better but the next chance you get it is worth having the brakes looked at just in case/

So I went to Midas today -

not sure where the miscom happened, but my truck doesn't have a tone ring - those are only on 4wd, mine is an all wheel drive -

the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong - he even scanned for computer codes, and the history, tho he said it'd only go back since I changed batteries, which happens to have been last November, so there's that.

He said if I was that worried, I could go to a Ford dealership and have them check it out, and suggested one that he knew.

He said there was no kind of maintenance for disk brakes... BUT I then took it to another mechanic for an alignment (which I had already made arrangements for and would be cheaper than Midas) - he also rotated my tires and said the front left rotor was uneven and would need to be changed soon. He showed me where and said "feel this here" but it all felt the same to me (smooth).

In the meanwhile, I'm really [censored] because I had the rear differential cover replaced last fall when it was leaking, and it's not only leaking again but the brand new cover I bought from Ford is completely rusted - should it have done that so fast? in like, 6 months? I'm not happy about this at all - I don't want to pay to have it replaced all over again but am quite hesitant to go back to that garage. This particular cover does not take a regular gasket, but a silicone one, and I watched him do it - I believe he should have left the silicone on for a few mins before attaching the cover, which he didn't do.

arghhhhh!!!!!!!

So I went to Midas today -

not sure where the miscom happened, but my truck doesn't have a tone ring - those are only on 4wd, mine is an all wheel drive -

If that's a direct quote from that Midas, stop going there.

I think you mean those are only on 2WD, which have tone rings on each front brake rotor. A 4WD will have the tone ring contained within the sealed hub assembly along with the ABS sensor. Your truck is either 2WD or 4WD.

Quote:

the mechanic couldn't find anything wrong - he even scanned for computer codes, and the history, tho he said it'd only go back since I changed batteries, which happens to have been last November, so there's that.

It may not have anything wrong. ABS in my 2002 Ranger isn't the most graceful. You're going to hear a low groaning/rumbling noise when it engages hard and you're going to feel pulsations in the pedal as the system applies and releases the brakes rapidly. If you haven't really had other hard braking events you can remember, you may have just never noticed the system engage. It's not there for 99.9% of the time, it's there to prevent a wheel lockup and possible uncontrolled skid in an emergency braking situation.

If the ABS light comes on once briefly, then goes away either during or after driving it (no problems next time you drive it), it's probably nothing. I have seen the light twice over the last 8 years in my truck while driving in snow. It went away and didn't come back. My truck does have the exposed tone rings on the rotors though. If the light stays illuminated, there is a problem.

Quote:

He said there was no kind of maintenance for disk brakes... BUT I then took it to another mechanic for an alignment (which I had already made arrangements for and would be cheaper than Midas) - he also rotated my tires and said the front left rotor was uneven and would need to be changed soon. He showed me where and said "feel this here" but it all felt the same to me (smooth).

Well, changing brake pads should be maintenance, and part of that should be greasing the slide pins that the brake caliper rides on. I use Napa Sil-glyde lubricant, but there are even better products. You don't just use any grease for this or it could really mess up the calipers though, so maybe don't have Midas do this one either. It is an important step to keep the brakes in reliable, safe working order though.

Quote:

In the meanwhile, I'm really [censored] because I had the rear differential cover replaced last fall when it was leaking, and it's not only leaking again but the brand new cover I bought from Ford is completely rusted - should it have done that so fast? in like, 6 months? I'm not happy about this at all - I don't want to pay to have it replaced all over again but am quite hesitant to go back to that garage. This particular cover does not take a regular gasket, but a silicone one, and I watched him do it - I believe he should have left the silicone on for a few mins before attaching the cover, which he didn't do.

arghhhhh!!!!!!!

No the cover shouldn't have rusted that fast, but it can happen up north. It probably has nothing to do with the shop's installation method unless they did something to remove the paint.

Aluminum differential covers are available which won't rust, but you will need to know if the axle is a 7.5 or 8.8 before ordering. Hard to say which a 3.0 4WD will be unless you post a picture of the cover.

As for letting the RTV cure, some products are supposed to be sealed up immediately, such as Permatex Right Stuff. Setting/curing instructions vary by product.

1) the differential cover - usually I order parts from Rock Auto but they didn't have this one so I bought it directly from Ford. It appeared to be nickel plated or something like that, I certainly did not think I was supposed to paint it first - was I though? I'm so angry about this... looks like I'll be ordering another one, paint it and put it on!

2) yes, my truck is a 2-wheel drive. I confuse that w/the all-wheel drive all the time - sorry! so - are you saying it DOES have a tone ring then??

3) I will definitely see about getting it checked out at Ford. My inspection is due at the end of April - but in any event, these are the brakes we are talking about - !! certainly don't want anything going wrong!

4) I am still confused about brake maintenance - I thought if you had disc brakes they were good forever - ? no?? I thought it was only drum brakes that wore down...

1) the differential cover - usually I order parts from Rock Auto but they didn't have this one so I bought it directly from Ford. It appeared to be nickel plated or something like that, I certainly did not think I was supposed to paint it first - was I though? I'm so angry about this... looks like I'll be ordering another one, paint it and put it on!

It sounds like you ended up with a cover that Ford used on Crown Vics and Mustangs. Some of those did use a plated cover, and it will fit a Ranger with the same size differential. Did you order the part by the VIN number? I'd expect the Ranger cover to come already painted from Ford, but I don't really know because diff covers just don't rust out down here. I would verify the part number you got last time is correct though before ordering by that number again. You can use the plated cover, but I would paint it. All Rangers had a painted cover from the factory.

Quote:

2) yes, my truck is a 2-wheel drive. I confuse that w/the all-wheel drive all the time - sorry! so - are you saying it DOES have a tone ring then??

Does the truck have a three position switch to the left of the radio that says "2WD", "4X4 HIGH", and "4X4 LOW"? If so, it is 4WD (four wheel drive). All wheel drive is a form of 4WD not offered on the Ranger.

Quote:

4) I am still confused about brake maintenance - I thought if you had disc brakes they were good forever - ? no?? I thought it was only drum brakes that wore down...

No type of brake is good forever. Drum brakes (on the rear axle) last a long time, but it depends on how much hauling the truck does and other factors. They should be checked regularly, but often don't need replacement before 150K miles unless something else ruins the shoes like a leaking wheel cylinder or axle seal.

The front disc brake pads will definitely need routine replacement when they get worn down...no telling how often that will be, you just have to have the pads checked regularly. When pads are replaced, the caliper slide pins should be cleaned and lubed at the same time, and the dust boots checked for damage. A lot of shops will skip that step, though they shouldn't. Rotors don't need to be changed as often as pads usually, but do need occasional replacement if they can't be turned (put on a lathe to even out the thickness).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back