Siracha shortages again, oh no! :)

The end is nigh, lol. Apparently, drought conditions in Mexico have impacted winter red jalapeno crops. Huy Fong says it's cutting Siracha production until Labor Day.

https://www.foodandwine.com/huy-fong-sriracha-sauce-shortage-2024-8645753
There was a special on one new station one evening with a big story about that special sauce. Talk about wild. The story was the makers of the sauces had a long time "hand shake" only agreement with a major pepper farmer out in California. Things were going well and then a big fight happened over costs during different issues like drought or too much rain etc... So the makers of the sauce ended up trying to produce their own peppers and this caused (somehow) a big court fight between the two families. The farmer and the makers of the sauces.

There was a special on one new station one evening with a big story about that special sauce. Talk about wild. The story was the makers of the sauces had a long time "hand shake" only agreement with a major pepper farmer out in California. Things were going well and then a big fight happened over costs during different issues like drought or too much rain etc... So the makers of the sauce ended up trying to produce their own peppers and this caused (somehow) a big court fight between the two families. The farmer and the makers of the sauces.
So I guess that means Huy Fong is now dependant on imported peppers.

Never been a fan of the flavor, but that's just me.
I prefer the simple stuff like LA Pete's or Tabasco sauce. It's OK, just not my favorite.
Sriracha tastes best on Chinese food. I really like it on fried rice or lo mein noodles. Other hot sauces you mention taste best on American cuisine and Tapatio tastes best on Mexican dishes. I wouldn't like Sriracha on Mexican or most American dishes, and Tapatio won't be as good on Chinese. Tabasco wouldn't be as good on Chinese or Mexican. Etc.

Sriracha tastes best on Chinese food. I really like it on fried rice or lo mein noodles. Other hot sauces you mention taste best on American cuisine and Tapatio tastes best on Mexican dishes. I wouldn't like Sriracha on Mexican or most American dishes, and Tapatio won't be as good on Chinese. Tabasco wouldn't be as good on Chinese or Mexican. Etc.
I don't have that much experience with sauces, so I'll trust your word on that. I just grew up with Tabasco.

I do have a 4 bottle pack of Global sauce, but have not tried them yet. 68 years old and still learning. :)

I use Roland Sriracha Chili Sauce which I tried during the last Huy Fong shortage. Now that is all I buy and its always easy to get at my local HEB. They also have one with garlic which is tasty.

My Walmart still has it. Just bought some. I might have to try the Underwood brand as posted in the article above.

I like Siracha on certain things, it has more of a sweet and spicy thing going on compared to Cholula or Texas Pete's, which I also like.

The first time Huy Fong tried this, there were enough suckers believing it was real and as such remained loyal to the brand.
I've liked Huy Fong for decades but that last scam drove me to try other brands...and several were excellent. If Huy Fong goes bankrupt, they brought it upon themselves. Take your pick...it's either greed or stupid business practices, either way, there's plenty of excellent alternatives that aren't pulling this nonsense.

I use Roland Sriracha Chili Sauce which I tried during the last Huy Fong shortage. Now that is all I buy and its always easy to get at my local HEB. They also have one with garlic which is tasty.
I forget the brand but the original Huy Fong farm (the guy that got screwed) makes its own brand of siracha

Man I haven't seen Huy Fong Sriracha up here for 2 years. My brother used to live way up in the hills from their farm in Cali.

I have been getting by with Texas Pete CHA!. I use it on barely edible take-out Italian penne with meatballs to make it tolerable.

This stuff is killer for reviving ho-hum sub shop Italian. Also good on grocery store buffet chicken tenders.

Once you get used to the zing ! it's really hard to go without.

Last edited:
Man I haven't seen Huy Fong Sriracha up here for 2 years. My brother used to live way up in the hills from their farm in Cali.

I have been getting by with Texas Pete CHA!. I use it on barely edible take-out Italian penne with meatballs to make it tolerable.

This stuff is killer for reviving ho-hum sub shop Italian. Also good on grocery store buffet chicken tenders.

Once you get used to the zing ! it's really hard to go without.
Cha is good stuff. I've settled on Tabasco Sriracha...it's excellent. Trader Joe's house brand is good too. I see one from Badia that I'd like to try too. I'll use Huy Fong if it's the only available but I'm done buying it.

Back