single-weight oil better in rust protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
an aviation website says so:

Quote:
Lie #3:
Modern multi-viscosity oil offers superior lubrication and longer engine life than old-fashioned single-weight oil.

During the 70s and 80s, there was a dramatic shift from single-weight to multi-viscosity oils by operators of general aviation aircraft...due in large measure to very effective advertising campaigns by Shell and Mobil that touted their multi-vis products (Aeroshell 15W50 and Mobil AV 1) as the greatest aeronautical innovation since the nosewheel.

During the same 20-year period, there was a dramatic increase in premature engine problems in the owner-flown G.A. fleet. It was not a coincidence.

In contrast to "working airplanes" that fly almost every day, most owner-flown airplanes spend most of their lives in the chocks. The biggest enemy of their engines is not inadequate lubrication. It's rust.

Multi-vis oil simply does not provide as effective protection against rust as single-weight oil. The defining characteristic of multi-viscosity oil — the fact that it doesn't thicken up at cool temperatures — makes it a lousy corrosion inhibitor. During periods of disuse, multi-vis oil strips off cylinder walls and cam lobes much more readily than does thick single-weight oil, leaving those parts vulnerable to corrosion, followed by spalling and eventually destruction.

But what about the superior lubricating properties of multi-vis oil? Basically bunk!

It turns out that multi-vis oil is not a better lubricant than single-grade oil. It's actually a bit worse. The reason is that multi-vis oil is made by starting with a thin, single-weight oil stock and adding man-made polymers called "Viscosity Index improvers" that increase viscosity as temperature increases. However, such VI improvers are not lubricants, and their addition actually displaces a certain amount of lubricating base stock (on the order of 10%). In other words, there's more "oil" in a quart of single-weight oil than in a quart of multi-vis.

Now this is no big deal, since the lubrication demands of most piston aircraft engines are rather modest (compared to automobile engines, for example). What is a big deal is the fact that single-weight oil does a better job of protecting engines against rust during period of disuse. That's why we've long recommend single-weight oil for any engine that doesn't fly at least once a week.

Fortunately, after two decades of multi-vis mania, it now appears that more and more G.A. operators are starting to recognize the shortcomings of multi-vis oil and are switching back to single-weight. An increasing number of top-rated overhaul shops are now recommending the use of single-weight oil.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182849-1.html

I currently use 15W40 in my boat that seats a lot.

That's an interesting angle. I read the title thinking that it would be the vii's or some other aspect of the multi grade chemistry. But really it's simply that the oil designed to be thinner at lower temps is indeed thinner at lower temps (it works!) and that means it seeps off the metal parts more quickly.

I'd be way over my head commenting on this. I wonder how long an engine needs to sit for this to be an issue? Also, I would think that an ester additive that would have more polar bonding to the metal might render this moot. Or, more obviously some sort of corrosion inhibiting additive made specifically for this.

So they are saying that the greater viscosity at lower temps leaves a greater film that serves as a better inhibiting film? Interesting concept.

Thing is, Ive never noticed a long-sitting engine component that didnt still have an oil film on it. Ive never seen rust on anything closed up.

But maybe thats just my limited view.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Thing is, Ive never noticed a long-sitting engine component that didnt still have an oil film on it. Ive never seen rust on anything closed up.

The same website states this:

Quote:
Engines that don't fly regularly are vulnerable to rust because the oil film that protects their steel parts from corrosion begins to strip off after a week or two. Gravity is the culprit — oil flows from top to bottom — and so the areas at greatest risk are the tops of cylinder bores, the tops of cam lobes, and so forth.

I do not know for sure if that is true. I suspect some of that is and this is why we fog engines in boats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back