Single Tip or Twin Tip Spark Plugs for My Camry

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I'm planning to change the plugs in my 2011 Camry 4-cyl when I do my next oil change in April. I'll be using Denso iridium plugs. Denso lists two iridium plugs for my engine, a single tip and a twin tip.

Denso Tips.jpg

The stock plugs are the single tip, and Denso says that they are the longest-lasting of the two. However, the twin tip will last long enough for my needs considering how much the car is driven. Neither the cost nor the longevity is an issue. I'm more interested now in knowing what might be the benefit of using the twin-tip plug.

The double tips are for cars that have two plugs connected to one coil. In that system, the electricity flows backwards through one plug of each pair and the ground electrode of that plug will wear if it is not special metal. The single tip is fine for cars that have a separate coil for each plug.

The newer iridium plugs have a smaller 0.4 mm diameter center electrode and they also have a smaller gap. They are called "high ignitability" plugs and are designed for the newer DI engines. They only last half as long as the older iridium plugs with a larger 0.7 mm diameter center electrode and larger gap that were designed for your engine and would not provide any noticeable advantage/benefit in your PI engine. I would stick with the older Denso iridium plugs.

Last edited:
I know what's in the manual. My question is if there's a benefit to using the twin tip plug.
Yes there is if you have a waste spark system as described (only half the number of coils as spark plugs). If the owner’s manual says to use a double electrode plug then you should use it. If not then then there isn’t a benefit.

If I’m not mistaken, the OP isn’t referring to a Spark plug with twin ground electrodes (waste spark), he is asking about a center electrode tip to a ground electrode tip. “Twin-tips”. Like in the photo he inserted into his Thread……

Back