Single mass flywheel questions

So I bought a single mass flywheel for my car, only learning the difference from a dual mass after the purchase. I've read that single mass will have more vibrations, more noise and more gear chatter than dual, but what I'd like to know from whoever has one, how much more noisier and how much more vibration is there from it? I hope it's not gonna vibrate the pedals and shifter to the point my hands and feet are almost numb.

In the BMW E90 world, the Valeo single mass flywheel kit was popular for a while. Maybe it still is? Most liked the improved clutch feel. Some reported a little chatter when in neutral, I think...It's been a while since I read about it.

If the kit is from a good brand with well designed parts, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

What brand for the new clutch kit and what car?

My old E30 has its original single mass flywheel and clutch, approximately 350k miles. When I added the E90, it took a while a to get used to the difference in clutch feel. But its all right now. Getting rid of the clutch delay valve helped a lot.

I got a '19 Fiat 124 Spider. The only flywheels available are the the single mass Clutch Masters one, and the OEM dual mass LuK. On the forums I did read that there's increased vibration and what not, but I'm not sure just HOW much it's increased and whatnot.

I got a '19 Fiat 124 Spider. The only flywheels available are the the single mass Clutch Masters one, and the OEM dual mass LuK. On the forums I did read that there's increased vibration and what not, but I'm not sure just HOW much it's increased and whatnot.

Unless you just hated the previous clutch, I would stick with the dual mass Luk kit. I have no experience with Clutch Masters, so I can't offer an opinion there. I know that Luk parts are usually good and often OE.

If the clutch or flywheel was shot on a 2019 car, I have to think that someone abused it or didn't know how to drive a manual. Assuming this was previous to your ownership, I might stick with the OE/OEM parts unless this is some widespread known failure point.

A single mass transfers a bit more vibration through the input shaft and into the transmission, and might rattle the gears at idle. Clutch feel is essentially the exact same. In the cabin you likely won't notice it at all except for an auditory change.

If I had the option I would never, ever, put in a dual mass flywheel into a car I owned. They are not durable and require gimmicks like clutch delay valves to prolong life. Typically the aftermarket provides better options for a sprung clutch that pairs perfectly well with a single mass flywheel. But unfortunately the aftermarket support for the 124 is extremely limited.

As mentioned above, the Dual Mass Flywheel typically smooths out idle transmission gear chatter noise. Push the clutch in and the noise disappears. The rest of the time, you probably won't notice any difference. Vibration is eliminated by the springs in the clutch disk. So as long as you don't choose a solid "racing" clutch disk, you won't have any significant vibration.

Also as mentioned above, drivers generally prefer the crisp feel of a well chosen conventional clutch setup.

I would go LUK, regardless that it is dual mass. Dual Mass from trusted brand like LUK is always safer option than single mass from unknown brand. If it was LUK, Valeo or SACHS, then yeah.

In the BMW E90 world, the Valeo single mass flywheel kit was popular for a while. Maybe it still is? Most liked the improved clutch feel. Some reported a little chatter when in neutral, I think...It's been a while since I read about it.

If the kit is from a good brand with well designed parts, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

What brand for the new clutch kit and what car?

My old E30 has its original single mass flywheel and clutch, approximately 350k miles. When I added the E90, it took a while a to get used to the difference in clutch feel. But its all right now. Getting rid of the clutch delay valve helped a lot.
I am actually contemplating that Valeo kit. The whole kit goes for $800.

If you’re looking for it you will notice the difference but it will vary from car to car.
My last Subaru had much smoother take off engagement with the DM and that’s all I really noticed besides a tad of gear rattle in hot weather when idling in neutral.

A single mass transfers a bit more vibration through the input shaft and into the transmission, and might rattle the gears at idle.

More rattle and increased vibration, particularly near 2000 rpm.
This Fiat 124 Spider comes with a 1.4 Turbo that has some torque
low down. That's why Fiat decided to use a dual-mass flywheel.

Clutch feel is essentially the exact same.

It may cause worse shifting. A sprung clutch disc is heavier than
the rigid disc (as used with dual-mass flywheels). The clutch disc
sits on the input shaft and this mass has to be accelerated or de-
celerated by the synchronizers. Elevated mass = harder job for the
synchronizer assembly. Result: harder shifting.
IF this Clutch Masters clutch is intended for tuning or racing use
I'd bet it's harder to operate. I had a ZF Sachs Racing clutch and it
was grave harder to use. No joy in heavy traffic.

In the cabin you likely won't notice it at all except for an auditory change.

See above. Between 1500 and 2500 rpm it's normal to perceive some
vibration through your steering wheel, your seat, your pedals.

If I had the option I would never, ever, put in a dual mass flywheel into a
car I owned. They are not durable and require gimmicks like clutch delay
valves to prolong life.

Relioable or not - it depends on the particular car. That said it's
fairly easy to remove a CDV even while keeping the DM FW.

Typically the aftermarket provides better options for a sprung clutch that pairs perfectly well with a single mass flywheel.

Except you own a 124 Spider.

The rest of the time, you probably won't notice any difference.

This is just a guess. We both don't own a Fiat 124.

Vibration is eliminated by the springs in the clutch disk. So as long as you don't choose a solid "racing" clutch disk, you won't have any significant vibration.

No no no. 'Eliminated' like a dual-mass flywheel? Never ever.

Also as mentioned above, drivers generally prefer the crisp feel of a well chosen conventional clutch setup.

Honestly, I have sympathy for single-mass flywheels, no CDV gimmicks etc., but
a well designed dual-mass set-up is smoother. Let's keep true, fair and square.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
I think it was a South Bend SMF that I put into my VW? loved it, stupid light feel, but it held the torque.

But I suspect it may have transmitted more vibration to the transmission, I think it was starting to make noise towards the end. Maybe I was just hearing things, but afterwards I wondered about the longevity hit.

But the DMF... don't like them, not long lived. Mine failed and the clutch disc looked mint. I wouldn't have replaced the disc 'cept I wanted a better clutch for future mods, so it all had to come out. I guess you could say, I wanted it to fail, so I could replace it with better... but all the same, bone stock, not good enough.

I think the SMF is the longer lived of the two. What you give away in noise and vibration is made up for with fewer parts to wear out and fail IMO.

Back